Is Richmond OK? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Richmond OK?

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
To what extent will this crisis affect the RFC? Are we in any danger at all of going broke? Which clubs are? Are we likely to see a reduced sized comp in 2021?

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Fair question Tora, and something I have wondered about as well. I have no idea where we really sit, but am confident we will be ok.

If we go broke, the rest of the comp is well and truely stuffed. Surely we are in as strong a position as any club. Certainly in Victoria.

What worries me is the possible loss of key off field staff. Going by Konrad Marshall’s books, we have so many great people doing such great jobs throughout the club. It will be a tragedy if we lose them now and can’t get them back later.

Reactions: 5 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
RFC like other clubs in huge trouble. No gate receipts for this year , no merchandise sales , external business will close eg Aligned Leisure. All sponsors in a world of pain eg Virgin etc . Fair to assume if they cannot get back playing again this year with supporters in the ground , the landscape will change dramatically in 2021 in regards to what the product looks like eg possibly less clubs , relocations etc .
It’s unbelievable to think this could and can happen . Pray that they can get back playing with turnstiles ticking over

Reactions: 2 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
To what extent will this crisis affect the RFC? Are we in any danger at all of going broke? Which clubs are? Are we likely to see a reduced sized comp in 2021?
You would assume that VFL and AFLW would be in doubt in 2020/2021 due to funding issues

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The only Brightside about it imho is if any club is going to survive this it’s the RFC

Reactions: 5 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004

We have just won 2 out of the last 3.
Lets go out on a high.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
It's a great question.
Not to mention loss of football revenue there must be huge pressure on the Aligned Leisure business & gaming.
Future of Punt Road Development now in serious doubt & unlikely to happen.
Expansion of AFLW program?
Very worrying times.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
If we're screwed might as well close up all the club's that a still on life support.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
There will be a massive flow on effect here. So many aspects and variables.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
not really worried at all.

it might go back to a semi professional suburban competition?

there will always be blokes in a black jumper with a yellow stripe across it playing against someone we hate, somewhere.

A deglobalised world with a grassroots footy competition is fine by me.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Clubs that rely heavily on Pokie revenue might take a hit. Poor Carlton

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
We will be fine although our debt free status is likely to take a fair hit.

It has come at the best possible time for us in terms of being in our strongest ever financial position so we will be fine.

Collingwood, Adelaide, West Coast and Hawthorn are all in strong positions, Essendon, Geelong, and Fremantle are all solid and the rest will go from a real struggle to seriously under threat I'm guessing.

In terms of the bounce back though, we will are well-resourced in our footy departments so will be well placed for drafts this year even if no footy is played.
Draft will be impossible with no play in under 18
Issues with huge cut in funding in footy department spend as directed by AFL last week . Unfortunately all clubs will have to let people go

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Surely the AFLW is the first thing to go.

Reckon at least ten clubs are in peril. Freo would be my 11th, but I've been told the WAFC would use Eagles money to ensure Freo's survival.

Perhaps a possibility of reverting to a VFL comp for a period in order to save all the Victorian clubs?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
If Richmond is in trouble then every club in the league is in trouble or at least every club in Melbourne.

Reactions: 3 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
You'd think the first to go would be the expansion clubs. The big clubs won't have the money to be able to sustain them. I think I read that the AFL gives over $20m per year to Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane and St Kilda. They are surely the most at risk clubs, particularly when you also look at their debt levels.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
You'd think the first to go would be the expansion clubs. The big clubs won't have the money to be able to sustain them. I think I read that the AFL gives over $20m per year to Gold Coast, GWS, Brisbane and St Kilda. They are surely the most at risk clubs, particularly when you also look at their debt levels.

You can imagine what would happen behind the scenes regarding wooing of players If clubs look like going to the wall. Maybe it's already happening.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008

There's long been way too many clubs based in Melbourne ..... just saying ......

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The AFL gave the Suns close to $30 million in 2017 and again in 2019. If there's no more football played this year, or very little played you'd think they would be on very shaky ground.