Is Richmond OK? | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Is Richmond OK?

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
If there is mass financial ruin for many clubs then you'd expect the AFL to take ownership of them and start to arrange a league that they see as ideal. Mergers, relocations etc.

Can we send North to Broome?

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
The GC Suns football dept was sacked & told to explore their options this morning.

Now Brisbane Lions players have been advised that they will be stood down without pay for now.

Not looking good..

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The GC Suns football dept was sacked & told to explore their options this morning.

Now Brisbane Lions players have been advised that they will be stood down without pay for now.

Not looking good..

Should we as PRE chip in here. RFC Players as personal trainers. Come over or meet in a park for a 1 hour session. We have enoiugh supporters to keep them busy. For those of us less inclined to PT, maybe we can hire them just to have a kick to kick with the kids down the park.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Wouldn't it have been better for clubs to wait until the next announcement before cutting employees?

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne

Not looking good..

Seriously?

EDIT: OK I'm reading the reports now. I think GWS staff have been told to take all their leave entitlements now as well. I would have thought players would have to be paid their base contract amount without any match payment portion though and if Brisbane players won;t be then there's going to be a fair bit of discontent.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
The only Brightside about it imho is if any club is going to survive this it’s the RFC

richmond most likely to still be around.
see it’s everyone copping it so it’s all relative

only winner from this will be coles, woolies, fuel pumpers, food producers, transport, pharmaceuticals,

gov will be bailing out everyone including the banks, so road projects will stop, I’d hope foreign aid stops. They’ll help mining continue.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014

Not looking good..

Well there's really no other choice. I don't think it is dire though for next year as long as the cuts are being made now for this year. No doubt the whole competition will need a rethink though as clearly there's too much money involved to maintain it when things out of one's control appear.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
We are no different to the entire economy. Our ability to survive is largely dependent on how long this goes on for. Businesses are closing left, right and centre and the AFL and the clubs are not immune.

The good news is that, due to the turnaround in our financial circumstances over the past 10 years, we are probably better protected than most clubs. But this won't protect us forever.

We all have to hope that shutting down for a month or two works wonders on the rate of infections or we finally find a viable cure or vaccine.

Reactions: 3 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Might present the AFL with a dilemma - if faced with a choice, do they cut their losses and write off the massive amounts invested in Gold Coast and GWS, or leave the traditional clubs to their fate? It's a question for the future, but there are interesting times ahead.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
How many millions did Gil plunge into GW$ & the $uns?..
That money would be pretty handy at a time of crisis wouldn't it? :oops:

He's got a tough job sure but those were his babies & they have not paid off.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Seriously?

EDIT: OK I'm reading the reports now. I think GWS staff have been told to take all their leave entitlements now as well. I would have thought players would have to be paid their base contract amount without any match payment portion though and if Brisbane players won;t be then there's going to be a fair bit of discontent.

There's a Fair Work rule that many companies will be forced to use:

The Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) right to stand down arises when an employee cannot usefully be employed during a period of time because of one or more of the following circumstances:

a stoppage of work for any cause for which the employer cannot reasonably be held responsible (for example a flash flood which prevents employees from entering their work premises). An employer can only exercise a Fair Work Act 2009 (Cth) right to stand down an employee if they cannot be usefully employed. If an employer could obtain some benefit or value from work performed by an employee then the employer will not be able to stand down that employee.

https://artio.org.au/an-employers-right-to-stand-down-employees-overview/

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Fair to say everyone underestimated what would be required.

Essentially it seems most clubs thus far have slashed and burned everyone in most departments, only keeping the absolute minimum of senior staff.

It will be very interesting to see what happens from here, potentially there could be an arms race to snap up staff once this ends.
Will be interesting although they must not have the ability or money to reemploy either . Players being asked to take up to 50% off salary , I reckon that’s pretty fair seeing I was asked today to take 100% off mine ‍♂️

• Sad
  • Wow
Reactions: 6 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

Not looking good..

sacked or stood down?

I don't reckon the options exploration would take very long.

1. go back to help on the family farm if there is one, or

2. go on the rock and roll

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Will be interesting although they must not have the ability or money to reemploy either . Players being asked to take up to 50% off salary , I reckon that’s pretty fair seeing I was asked today to take 100% off mine ‍♂

I kind of assumed with no playing or training, players would be on a subsistence retainer ($50k?)

50% means plenty of bloke will be on more money than the priminister, to sit on the play station.

surely not?

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
How many millions did Gil plunge into GW$ & the $uns?..
That money would be pretty handy at a time of crisis wouldn't it? :oops:

He's got a tough job sure but those were his babies & they have not paid off.

to be fair, weren't they Demetricon's babies?

kill 'em off and give us Greene and Coniglio just cause

sorry triple post, haven't mastered multi quoting.