Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Happy to bring Soldo on slowly, he's too important. Suggest Miller gets games early and Balta plays second ruck changing forward.

Reactions: 4 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
The problem with that is, what is ‘slowly’ with a healed knee? If he is right to go, better to gain that confidence sooner rather than later?

And for the record I have the greatest of admiration for these big blokes returning from knees.

Just think he’s had the opportunity to build a solid base already. Early 2022 training track will tell us the story.

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Still can't understand why CCJ wants more ruck time, he doesn't seem like the key position for him to me.
Just wanting something doesn’t work at senior level. You have to be good enough and better than everyone else on the list. Caddy wants midfield time, ccj wants ruck time , I want a new bike for Christmas. Ccj is too young and dumb to realise he has just lowered his ceiling substantially by getting what he wants at the worst team.

Reactions: 3 users

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
In the Hun today:

“But it is understood the Dogs had a significant crack at Richmond’s premiership ruckman Ivan Soldo before he re-signed for three years in September, then didn’t chase a Peter Ladhams or Jon Ceglar as a fall-back option.”

I didn’t know that. Props to Soldo for staying staunch.

Reactions: 8 users

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Baseless cynicism huh?

Suggest you do some research into the knee reconstruction recovery experiences of 95 kg plus AFL players.

You will find they talk about a 2 year recovery, the 12 months post surgery and then 12 months to regain playing form.

Having a knee reconstruction as a 110kg ruckman is a high risk procedure. Not only is the risk of recurrence much higher in larger athletes, but most of their play is based around putting stress through the knee.

There is a greater likelihood of secondary issues with the knee like cartilage damage, loss of motion and function and other like issues.

You can also build all the confidence you like in the knee at training but until you stand face to face with another 100kg plus monster who is going to charge at you and try and put all his weight into your body, or stand in a pack under a high ball while 350kg worth of pack crashes into you, then it is all pretty worthless. Ask any reconstructed player and they will tell you it understandably takes some time to clear the thoughts of risk and danger from your mind and start to attack the footy again in the same way you did before. It's not a case of playing a couple of scratchies and being good to go.

Soldo is returning from a very significant injury and will need a long time to fully recover. Our expectations on him for next season should be very low, any contribution he makes will be a welcome bonus.
the bigger the person it tends to be the slower and sometimes more problematic the recovery

tends to be is key

playing 4th rugby union and a first grader did his knee in the last practice game
he was a second rower and very similar build to Ivan

he dropped back and coached 4th grade and he was sprinting in straight lines with us at training before seasons end and he was fine the following season

Ivan has had a more troubled time post surgery and probably done more damage initially

but look to the way our medical team deal with our ankle injuries

I have a lot of faith in our medical team to rehab Ivan and condition him in such a way he will have his confidence back

and training watches reporting Ivan was looking very fresh and lively at training towards then end of the season
the one plus will be his body has had a rest
and he will be hungry , he knows Nank needs support and he knows Sampson and Colina are coming
there's your opportunity Ivan , go grab it :)

Reactions: 1 user

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
In the Hun today:

“But it is understood the Dogs had a significant crack at Richmond’s premiership ruckman Ivan Soldo before he re-signed for three years in September, then didn’t chase a Peter Ladhams or Jon Ceglar as a fall-back option.”

I didn’t know that. Props to Soldo for staying staunch.
Good nugget. The Dogs want some brute force in the ruck, it's their most glaring weakness that is stopping them winning a flag.

Also gives you a real understanding of what a fit Soldo brings to the table. Qualities that are in demand by clubs vying for flags.

Reactions: 11 users

shad

Tiger Champion
Apr 6, 2010
Castlemaine
Good nugget. The Dogs want some brute force in the ruck, it's their most glaring weakness that is stopping them winning a flag.

Also gives you a real understanding of what a fit Soldo brings to the table. Qualities that are in demand by clubs vying for flags.
Agree. He's not a top level ruck himself-but he has the ability to significantly nulify the influence of other elite rucks.

• Dislike
Reactions: 2 users

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
Not long since his arthroscopy so straight lines are good to see at this stage.

Reactions: 1 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Soldo was powering out laps with Dusty at PRO this morning.
So important to getting first hands on our centre clearances.
Will take time to find form but should really get going later in the season when the whips are cracking

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users