Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Not sure his overall percentage, however when Soldo clearly wins a tap, he seems to miss his rovers a lot , not sure wether he dosent read it well or his teammates don’t or the opposition just shark it better, for his greatest asset it’s a bit of a worry .
Yeah, some of his tap work was horrible, to the oppo or to no one.

Reactions: 1 users

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
prestia, edwards, lambert and bolton seem to be the best at roving to Ivan

but shed's lost a yard and plays F50 a lot now
bolton plays forward of the pill
lambert injured

cotchin and graham are defensive mids atm

which leaves prestia as the only one who consistently reads Soldo's ruckwork
This is the root of it. Prestia is the Lone Ranger. Taps could be better but the odds are low right now. We need another couple of good inside mids sooooooooo badly.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Sorry. For mine, he's just not a good enough footballer. This really shows in tough, high pressure games where he cannot exert anywhere near enough influence ... because he just doesn't have the speed (even for a big man), the skills in terms of leap, good hands, agility, ability to read the play. Full credit to him for making it this far - a flag player. But, overall, his main attribute is his size, which has enabled him to achieve what he has. But size alone is not enough!

For a 204 cm ruckman to take but ONE MARK tonight (not even sure it was overhead) when we really needed him to step up and really assert himself as a forward and around the ground, says it all. In fact, I'm quite amazed how easily he is knocked aside or is out of position for overhead contests; he simply does not have much athleticism at all and also poor balance. Not surprisingly then, not even one goal assist. His hands are ordinary and his reflexes are far too slow so e.g. cannot get a quick HB away, nor have enough speed to apply much tackling or chase pressure. A witches hat often.

Unfortunately, he's just not the answer. Someone like Chol actually was ... because great skills for a 200cm tall, amazing agility and spring, able to take a hanger in attack or a strong defensive mark, plus a superb kick and ball user. Equal top goal-scorer at GCS this year on 20 - same as JR8. Many knocked Cholly for his ruck-work, but he sported over 10kgs to most of the ruck monsters so it was never his main game. But he was IMO the perfect foil and chop-out for Nank as he was quite useful in general play and dangerous up forward. Such a pity we had to lose him.

Big Ivan is very likely a great team-man and bloke, but unfortunately, ... as I said at the outset. (Just compare with the potential shown by the two De Koning boys. I'm afraid you need to invest a decent draft pick to obtain the real high quality tall rucks).
you know Chol averages 2.6 marks per game yeah? nad has taken 1 or less marks in 4 of his 12 games this year?
he is going alright this year, but if you want a strong marking option, Chol is not it.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
He just missed marks which he would take and at times just mistimed the mark altogether and just was frustrating to watch.

Can’t have him forward resting. Liability at the moment. At the moment.

bairdy380

Beer friend me good...
Dec 9, 2004
Why are you a fan? Tell me what he will bring?
I think he’s generally a good tap ruckman and was generally reliable around the ground for a big body and intercept or contested mark. But he has really dropped off in all levels… dunno if it’s skill drop off, body confidence or he’s just gone over the cliff

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Ivan hasn't regained his form since coming back from the ACL. He is a big man so maybe he is still working through getting his mind and body right. We see flashed of the old Ivan but if he is going to have a real career we need more. He also needs to know Ryan is starting to show his talents if the Werribee match was anything to go by.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
I think we all knew that Soldo would be in and out of the side this year, what with the knee and all. And given the conditions predicted for tomorrow night I guess none of us should be surprised that he's dropped.

To be fair to the somewhat lame Soldo he did wipe the floor with De Koning only month ago. But here we are.

Had it been dry and day I'd have given Ryan a chance to play but yeah, nah.

We're making allowances for conditions, giving the unlucky Soldo a challenge and playing to win. Three good moves.

Reactions: 4 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I think we all knew that Soldo would be in and out of the side this year, what with the knee and all. And given the conditions predicted for tomorrow night I guess none of us should be surprised that he's dropped.

To be fair to the somewhat lame Soldo he did wipe the floor with De Koning only month ago. But here we are.

Had it been dry and day I'd have given Ryan a chance to play but yeah, nah.

We're making allowances for conditions, giving the unlucky Soldo a challenge and playing to win. Three good moves.
Downside is I hope he doesn’t take opportunity away from Ryan and Colina in the Magoos.
Development in these two is critical.
On the flip side I’m visualising Soldo and Colina in the forward line together.
Most fearsome tag team since Brute Bernard and Skull Murphy

• Haha

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Downside is I hope he doesn’t take opportunity away from Ryan and Colina in the Magoos.
Development in these two is critical.
On the flip side I’m visualising Soldo and Colina in the forward line together.
Most fearsome tag team since Brute Bernard and Skull Murphy
i reckon it will be good for Ryan to spend decent time up forward- he is still a long way off being a number 1 ruck- but could be getting close to being a no2/forward.
And i think Collina just needs to be running around somewhere near the ball at this point. doesnt matter to much if he actually touches it.

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
i reckon it will be good for Ryan to spend decent time up forward- he is still a long way off being a number 1 ruck- but could be getting close to being a no2/forward.
And i think Collina just needs to be running around somewhere near the ball at this point. doesnt matter to much if he actually touches it.
3 weeks ago we had Ryan playing a lone ruck hand on his own. And no tall forward alternatives.
All of a sudden we’ve got Ryan, Colina, Bauer and now Soldo.
Just need to balance it up so all players get the right development and opportunity.

Reactions: 1 user