Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
2 ruckman that haven't got a clue in the ruck.
There's not one ruckman in the league that dosent feast on playing on both Soldo and Nakas.
Soldo is coming back from a knee, that takes time. But Nakas is getting demolished

Nakas hits the ground and wins the ball as a mid, or tackles the hell out of the oppo mids. With our best mids in we shark the ball even if we lose the tap, or win it through pressure in the next phase

CHILL OUT ZIPPERDEES

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

thegdog

Tiger Champion
Sep 28, 2009
The big fella needs to start taking marks down the line when they take the bail out kick or becomes obsolete, especially if no longer any good with taps to advantage. Ryan is coming ….

Reactions: 1 user

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
The way he's launching for marks he looks bereft of confidence. Looking super uncoordinated.

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Soldo was terrible yesterday.

Just awful, sadly.

Agree with Dyer'ere, needs a spell.
it was a pants down bottom smacking from Nic Nat to Ivan yesterday

it reminded me of the year Adam Goodes rucked and for boundary throw ins the Swans would clear out
and Goodes would run rings around rucks like Ivan

I think the Nic Nat from yesterday would make Ivan , Sampson Ryan and Mate all look very 2nd rate
and he's done that plenty of times , but we dont have to play West Coast in the finals

as we saw yesterday the centre bounce set up is critical under the 6 6 6 rule

the only other ruck thats made others look silly at the moment is Max Gawn

we have Freo and Lions in coming weeks , how Soldo goes against them might be critical to him playing finals

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Witts is having a super year and is very important. Not sure we can afford to play Nank solo against him although Soldo is a complete liability most times.

Obviously makes a difference when your key centre square players are not there. I can see the argument for and against him playing. Personally I'd favour he be dropped because he has no presence around the ground. But not sure what our options are other than raw Samson?

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Shows the importance structurally of Balta coming back for Soldo.

Makes us a far better outfit on many levels.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
2 ruckman that haven't got a clue in the ruck.
There's not one ruckman in the league that dosent feast on playing on both Soldo and Nakas.
Soldo is coming back from a knee, that takes time. But Nakas is getting demolished
But Zips, yesterday our guys were only up against NicNat ... who you have told us forever is completely useless, an over-rated joke, yer!?

What happened? Care to explain. Also, would you like me to forward NN's match stats to help like 19Ds, 6 CLs, 3Ms, 380 mg? :unsure:

PS - You are quite wrong about 'Nakas' btw.

Last edited:

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Shows the importance structurally of Balta coming back for Soldo.

Makes us a far better outfit on many levels.
Yes, and club saying it will be 'several' weeks before Balta's hammy is right. His versatility is crucial, especially for finals.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
you know Chol averages 2.6 marks per game yeah? nad has taken 1 or less marks in 4 of his 12 games this year?
he is going alright this year, but if you want a strong marking option, Chol is not it.
I really don't bother watching much of GCS games - never been that interested in the AFL's fantasy team - mostly have just seen glimpses of Chol's performances this year and I often checked the Tiger boys' stats at the Suns to see how they're all going i.e. Ellis and Markov included.

But watched a fair bit of their latest match hoping they could beat Colonwood and do us all a favour. Have to admit, Chol was much the same as usual: did some good things but never looks to be really exerting himself desperately hard to make the vital impact at the crucial times. Doubt he will ever have that capacity, might lack the aerobic endurance too. In summary, handy but not good enough to be a regular match-winner.

Nevertheless, on comparison with Soldo this season, he's definitely well ahead in offensive measures incl marking, but inferior on HOs although I don't see Soldo's HOs going enough to our advantage anyway - never have. Chol has added some kgs which is most likely helping him in the contests and he's well ahead on m/gained and a couple of other measures like CPs. Overall, he's rated clearly better than Soldo - just look at the Fantasy/SC valuations.

But it's fairly meh really. It's just that we have nothing better going atm, at least until Balta returns (and finds his best form). Chol is still handy.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
But Zips, yesterday our guys were only up against NicNat ... who you have told us forever is completely useless, an over-rated joke, yer!?

What happened? Care to explain. Also, would you like me to forward NN's match stats to help like 19Ds, 6 CLs, 3Ms, 380 mg? :unsure:

PS - You are quite wrong about 'Nakas' btw.
What? Dud ruckman feast against us.
The dud from Adelaide
The dud from Sydney
It's time we get a real tap ruckman in

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Charged twice by the MRO: https://www.richmondfc.com.au/news/1165232/vlastuin-soldo-charged-by-mro
Ivan Soldo, Richmond, has been charged with Tripping Zane Trew, West Coast Eagles, during the third quarter of the Round 16 match between Richmond and the West Coast Eagles played at the MCG on Sunday, July 3 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact. The incident was assessed as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Ivan Soldo, Richmond, has been charged with Wrestling Nic Naitanui, West Coast Eagles, during the third quarter of the Round 16 match between Richmond and the West Coast Eagles played at the MCG on Sunday, July 3 2022.

In summary, the player can accept a $1000 sanction with an early plea.
A first offence for Wrestling is a $1500 sanction. An early plea enables the player to accept a $1000 sanction.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
I like Soldo but he is still struggling post knee reco but young Ryan certainly seems more mobile so what have we got to lose?

Every big man coming back from a serious knee injury takes another 12 months to get back to their best output on top of the out injured time . Soldo started well and I thought maybe he would buck the trend but now he will be another proving that trend. Need to see 2023 form

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
At this stage it looks like it's a broken thumb. Gunna miss a couple? Then shoved back out there?

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Long and winding road.

Feel for the big fella who is clearly frustrated.

daniel30

Tiger Superstar
Jun 14, 2010
Why a the coaches keep on playing a bloke out of fotm let him get his confidence back after his injury Ryan has been performing to.

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Why a the coaches keep on playing a bloke out of fotm let him get his confidence back after his injury Ryan has been performing to.
Golden opp for Ryan to step into Soldo's role as back up ruck. If he can play fwd better than Soldo. (not hard) Soldo might benefit from rucking all game in the VFL rather than 50% game time which they get as Nank's back up.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Soldo will be back better next year after he has had 18 months post his rehabbing.

He was doing well and played some good footy before Fatkins ruined him.

Reactions: 6 users

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Golden opp for Ryan to step into Soldo's role as back up ruck. If he can play fwd better than Soldo. (not hard) Soldo might benefit from rucking all game in the VFL rather than 50% game time which they get as Nank's back up.
Soldo's two biggest deficiencies are his lack of mobility (seems worse post the knee reconstruction) and inability to consistently take contested overhead marks. That doesn't lend itself to a player who rests forward. He also has no real forward smarts - doesn't lead and can't out body defenders in packs.

His best footy has always been as the No. 1 ruck - better at centre bounce than Nank in my view. Plus his goals have generally come drifting forward. But he doesn't offer Nank's around the ground game.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users