Ivan Soldo | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Ivan Soldo

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Always liked Soldo, but rucks are the least valuable position on the ground, so to get pick 20-29 + 41 for a backup, rookie ruck who will be 28 at the start of the next season is ultimately a good outcome for all parties.

Reactions: 7 users

taraba

Eat em alive!!!
Jul 27, 2004
Planet Earth
Let’s face it, Hawkins kind of ruined his career with that knee injury. Never been the same since. Didn’t even get a free kick for that incident either.

Good trade for us. Wish we made another one like it.

Reactions: 1 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Let’s face it, Hawkins kind of ruined his career with that knee injury.
Like many of them *smile* at sleepy hollow.... ie; Dangerfield, Stewart, Selwood..... Hawkins is another of their protected, media love children!
Compare it with when Lynch rubbed a blokes nose in the dirt and The Heraldsun produced a 12 page souvenir lift out. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Always liked Soldo, but rucks are the least valuable position on the ground,

Not so sure about that statement. Big games/finals are usually when they shine. Poor ones generally get exposed.

I agree with a previous poster that the Hawkins shove derailed Soldo's career. He was a massive improver at that stage but has struggled to get anywhere near that form again.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
so have i read this correct?; the pick we received for Soldo is in the second round for the 2024 draft and is tied to Freo. So if Freo have a terrible year in 2024; then we are looking at a pick around 20-24?
At least until the AFL honchos figure out how to screw us over with some abrupt rule changes in that eventuality.

Reactions: 1 user

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Think soldo’s last 6 weeks of the season or so we’re ok but certainly didn’t set the world on fire.

Last two premiership winners (Pies and cats) managed fine without a dominate tap ruckman.
Yes but it should be remembered and factored in that GoDeez, with best ruck in the business, should have beaten Skunks and ended their hopes. Got some fortunate umpiring decisions too. Sydanee not able to seriously compete for a flag without an A/B grade ruck this year or last, so grabbed Grundy. Poort same, taken Soldo. Cameron and Stanley, while not elite, are strong competitors like Nank in that respect - while either taller or more athletic.

In other words, you must have at least a solid B grade ruck to succeed; to at least compete hard and nullify an A grader to some extent, if you want to win a flag.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Real sorry to see Big Ivan go but good luck to the guy and hope it all works out for him at Adelaide. However, I thing it was a wrong move to lose the only big ruckman we have as Nanks has trouble with some opposition and Ryan hasn't the bulk or the nous yet. Mind you Ivan was part of the deal to get Jacob so win some and lose some
I think the main thing is the club does have back-up and a promising young ruck who could become a star when he bulks up more along with obtaining the greater experience he needs - from getting further exposure and opportunities.
It seemed the club wanted to keep big Eevan initially too unless those statements were just designed to up the ante for PA. I agreed initially too for the same reasons the club and many of us on here expressed. But now, for similar reasons that many others alternative views have said so well, I'm all in favour. this was a great deal for Soldo; the club effectively turned lead into some gold over his whole development and trade. And Eevan deserves to finish his career seeing if he can reach his full potential, perhaps becoming another flag ruckman for them ... if he's up to it. They (PA) have a lot of other ducks in a row to win one in '24.

It should be remembered we also have Miller and Balta who can provide some chop-out for Ryan if he has to take on No.1 role if Nank goes down for any reason again. Plus, there's Colina and the young "Wolfman' if we got really desperate. Well, a big body to obstruct the oppo at least!

I sometimes get annoyed - still sour over the Butler 'giveaway' - but I have to respect our club's preparedness to not block a player's future ambitions and best interests, especially good citizens like these who have won flags with and for us.
But they are not stupid - there is back-up within the club's list in both cases - otherwise I'm sure they may have definitely held out against this Poort deal/offer.

But Ryan is the future. And sure, it's all potential so far, but the club again spotted a gangly young tall - playing in country Qld - they are seeking to develop into a possible A grade ruck who may ultimately become better than all our recent ruckmen: taller and faster, more mobile and athletic, a better mark who can go forward and clunk a pack mark, and a very impressive kick for distance and accuracy. He's even looking agile at ground level.

It's time for Samson Ryan.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Soldo also a very solid citizen too.

Very much in the Richmond Man ethos.

Tigers losing a lot of quality people from the club this year.

Even young Biggie is a good solid lad, up beat, and popular and well liked.

Ivan will help put the ball to the Port mids and will assist them no doubt.

Cheers Ivan always a Tiger hero.

Now time for Sambo to step up another level just as he did this season finished.

Tigers could be left with the arses hanging out again next season in regard to ruck stocks as happened this year.
As often is the case, I endorse your comments except for your last - see above. Agree re Sambo though as stated.

So, finally, same from me for Big Ivan. Never thought you were the 'answer' as a top ruck; not a natural footballer being a late convert and never quite athletic or fast enough. However, full credit for how you turned yourself into a real competitor who lead the Tiges to a great Flag victory without our usual general, Nank.

Thanks Ivan - always.

Reactions: 2 users

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Reckon the new basketball recruit will provide as much as Soldo so no loss as far as im concerned. I see it as a fantastic bit of business from our blokes. PA paid overs

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Reckon the new basketball recruit will provide as much as Soldo so no loss as far as im concerned. I see it as a fantastic bit of business from our blokes. PA paid overs
Desperation.
Port have added 3 players not really wanted by their clubs and now they are carrying on like they have just picked up Rance, Big V and Ottens.
I hope they go bottom 4 next year.
How many picks have they thrown away in the last 3yrs

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Desperation.
Port have added 3 players not really wanted by their clubs and now they are carrying on like they have just picked up Rance, Big V and Ottens.
Jeebus if the Kochies miss the 8 next season ............................ its gonna be as ugly as anyone could conceive it to be.

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Desperation.

Spot on. Poort have sold the farm for a bunch of B and C graders (not even high draft picks). Expect real problems if they don't win a flag in the next few years