Jack Riewoldt [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Riewoldt [Merged]

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Im a self employed tradie , ive worked for AFL players ,

When you are working at peoples houses you do get invited into their homes to see how they live in a lot of respects

For such young families, they live a very charmed life compared to other young families around the same age , not taking anything away from that , they have earn't it

but if this is the toughest thing Jack has had to do and it brought him to tears ,

You can see why people who have experienced real struggles, think its a joke

By exactly the same token, every single one of those “real struggles” you refer to would be considered a joke by people living in a previous era too.

Suffering and happiness is always relative to what’s normal to them - in any era, in any country, in any environment.

All of our struggles are a joke compared to 99.9999% of history. It doesn’t make them any less real of an experience. Criticise his perspective only if you’re prepared to do the same and label the rest of our struggles a joke too (cue “always look on the bright side of life” if you wish)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
By exactly the same token, every single one of those “real struggles” you refer to would be considered a joke by people living in a previous era too.

Suffering and happiness is always relative to what’s normal to them - in any era, in any country, in any environment.

All of our struggles are a joke compared to 99.9999% of history. It doesn’t make them any less real of an experience. Criticise his perspective only if you’re prepared to do the same and label the rest of our struggles a joke too (cue “always look on the bright side of life” if you wish)

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
It astounds me that even after winning 2 premierships off the back of cultivating a culture whereby it is okay to view football as being not the be all and end all in life, there are still people on here willing to have a crack at the players for having this mindset. Incredible.

Reactions: 4 users

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Just watched the 2010 Sydney game.
The one Collins played like Glen Archer.
Jack was plucking marks from everywhere.
I wish we had him in that form today.
We would average 15 goals every week

Was that game Paul Roos lost his *smile*.
“You lost to Richmond! Richmond!”

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
It astounds me that even after winning 2 premierships off the back of cultivating a culture whereby it is okay to view football as being not the be all and end all in life, there are still people on here willing to have a crack at the players for having this mindset. Incredible.

yes, but look at the quality of those posters. Tells you all you need to know.

Reactions: 1 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004

Yeah fair point ,and I’m normally pretty positive:)

When I posted I was up at 4am had to drive 2 hours for work , and was probably in my own rare shitty negative state and thought spur of the moment, stop bloody sooking jack we all have to do things that don’t appeal to us , that’s life

Anyway I take it back , I do love jack, , let’s hope h3 leads us to a great win , go tigers

Reactions: 8 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Im sorry kids.
I love the bloke.
But he is done.
99% of our forward 50 issues are coming from him.
Can't take a contested mark.
Can't take a leading mark.
Not reliable in front of goal.
Not sure Hardwick has the balls to drop him.
The opposition in the Hawthorn, Collingwood and today's game were using his direct opponent to clear the defence.
With 2 metres between his direct opponent and the boundary line, he was still able to get around him and clear the defence.
Lynch and him currently are like the statues on East Island.
Like Stonehenge.

• Sad

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
Seeing Jack this year not getting seperation, and not making the distance from forty, really shows the end is coming.
Will be glimpses of the old Jack, but how do we keep him consistent?

How do we keep Jack contributing for another two or more seasons?

I would move him to the backline.
Chol/Nank/CCJ could then be forward/ruck.

Jack down back can get a clear run at the footy, use his smarts and get his mojo back.

I think if Jack gets dropped, then he is the type of guy who will retire, and make way for a young guy.

I think Jack would love the freedom of defence and would more than contribute, plus be available to swing forward during a game if needed.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
The end is nigh I fear :(

Has not looked like the Jack of old at all this season. Getting no separation, struggling to take contested marks, unable to make the distance from 40+ and putting little to no pressure on the opposition coming out of our forward 50. Sad to see really.

Quickdraw

End of the drought
Jun 8, 2013
In defense of Jack, he's playing in a massively congested forward line.

Like working in a crowded phone box.

And delivery into F50 has been crap.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
The Capt's game was a real worry. He was playing on a bloke who was barely 6ft, the ball was coming in a lot, he was 1:1 deep heaps.

and he kicked 1 gifted goal.

in the last qtr when the game was in the balance, he seemed to spend a long time sitting on the bench.

He is either in a huge form slump, is suddenly old, or has lost the love.

Im almost as worried about JR as I am about DR after what I saw.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I thought 2021 was going to be is last season but with all the crap that’s gone on this season and the way footy has been played (I mean, who’d want to be a forward with this *smile* negative footy?) I half expect him to pull the pin come October.

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I am starting to wonder if Jack and Lynch's lack of mobility is hurting us and they are a bad combo. The duo are contributing to how easily the opposition is defending us and running the ball out.

Absolutely no connection with the small forwards, who seem to be at the spot the ball doesn't drop. For a team and a player like Jack that were masters of this, it doesn't make sense.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I am starting to wonder if Jack and Lynch's lack of mobility is hurting us and they are a bad combo. The duo are contributing to how easily the opposition is defending us and running the ball out.

Absolutely no connection with the small forwards, who seem to be at the spot the ball doesn't drop. For a team and a player like Jack that were masters of this, it doesn't make sense.

I reckon Danny Rioli's complete disorientation, loss of speed and confidence is a big part of the rebound.

George seems to have lost some of the chaos too?

and I thought Aarts didnt offer us much.

$hai is clearly ready for the midfield after that first half, so we need to settle on 3 small forwards in the next few weeks.

Higlet stays, George stays, and I reckon there a spot for a quick tough *smile*. Stackman?

• Love

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I reckon Danny Rioli's complete disorientation, loss of speed and confidence is a big part of the rebound.

George seems to have lost some of the chaos too?

and I thought Aarts didnt offer us much.

$hai is clearly ready for the midfield after that first half, so we need to settle on 3 small forwards in the next few weeks.

Higlet stays, George stays, and I reckon there a spot for a quick tough *smile*. Stackman?
George seems to have lost a yard.

No explanation for Riolo.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts from the day.

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
Jack's finished, we've been worked out, our stars are self satiated and going half rat power........ still 6th though!

TigerMad

All for one and one for all
Dec 18, 2002
I've had this thought. But our backline is very settled.

Need to find a future Jack replacement forward asap.
Would hate to lose CCJ because of lack of opportunity at Richmond.
We cant have 3 tall forwards, so Jack moves to seventh defender, intercept marking.

Try it before Astbury and Houli are available again.

Short is in uncontested possession form, but to me is more a Jeff Raines wingman than a half back.
Caddy to high half forward to give a marking contest that Castagna can no longer do.