Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
This where we disagree with Ross and RCD. I think Ross is a more rounded player than RCD.
Btw RCD ain’t quick.

I reckon RCD has gears even though as you say he isn’t a road runner.

Let’s see what unfolds. You get glorious PRE bragging rights if Ross out-performs RCD in 2022 and vice versa. For what that’s worth :)

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Reckon he’s a better prospect than RCD which I’m not sure says that much. RCD bludges; works nowhere near hard enough off the ball.

Also reckon he may have more upside than Dow who I had hopes for. But I have seen him *smile* himself a few times this year including one glaring instance today that caused a 2 goal turnaround.

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
RCD will eventually be a better player than Ross ,after watching him carefully in games he has silky movement and can turn quite quickly and has a good burst of speed,his endurance issues will get better every year,just like dusty whom in his early 20s was stats wise a very poor low pocession mid after half time,he has improved every year despite the worst conditions for vfl guys since WW2,lucky our club and fitness and science experts understand what some posters will never quite get.

RUNVS

Tiger Superstar
Aug 10, 2008
RCD will eventually be a better player than Ross ,after watching him carefully in games he has silky movement and can turn quite quickly and has a good burst of speed,his endurance issues will get better every year,just like dusty whom in his early 20s was stats wise a very poor low pocession mid after half time,he has improved every year despite the worst conditions for vfl guys since WW2,lucky our club and fitness and science experts understand what some posters will never quite get.
Joker RCD has the quickness and the turning circle of a Double B.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
RCD needs to get some sh1t in his game and work harder. He’s a downhill skier at the moment. And his skill level is nothing to rave about. He has time but he need to get to work. He looks to me like a player that just expects it to happen. I think he can make it but he has to work his arse off to make it so.

Reactions: 1 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
It sounds like he couldn't have done much more FB,

and good on the kid. I hope he wins the Brownlow.

But it was a dead rubber.
Yeh he’s no Brownlow medallist but neither is he a dud. He is also 20 years old, has been played out of position and dealt with a major foot injury. Good game today- ran hard and bullocked for the ball.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Yeh he’s no Brownlow medallist but neither is he a dud. He is also 20 years old, has been played out of position and dealt with a major foot injury. Good game today- ran hard and bullocked for the ball.

I have the utmost respect for the defenders of the whipping boys.

im pleased he played well today.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
I reckon RCD has gears even though as you say he isn’t a road runner.

Let’s see what unfolds. You get glorious PRE bragging rights if Ross out-performs RCD in 2022 and vice versa. For what that’s worth :)
Deal. Though I hope we are both right.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Gotta laugh at the old ‘possessions don’t hurt the opposition’ statement. Empty statements. Played a good, balanced midfield role and was probably bog for us.
But there are metrics to judge performance by. He didn’t score and had 1 score involvement. To win you need to score more than the opposition. Ok for a back pocket to not influence scoring but for a midfielder to have 24 touches and only one result in a score is not great. And got some to claim he was out best player? On what measure? Touches?

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
But there are metrics to judge performance by. He didn’t score and had 1 score involvement. To win you need to score more than the opposition. Ok for a back pocket to not influence scoring but for a midfielder to have 24 touches and only one result in a score is not great. And got some to claim he was out best player? On what measure? Touches?
My opinion. I’d have cj in there too.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
He got 74% of his possessions in the defensive end so presumably played as a defensive mid. You’ve picked out an obscure stat in score assist but ignored possessions, metres gained, DE, contested possessions, pressure acts, clearances….

He was one of our best, no doubt.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
This bloke is my Godfather.

Just when I thought I've written him off..... He pulls me back in

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Just had a cracking game and people still want to criticise young blokes who have been severely hampered through lack of opportunity, I don’t get it. Aren’t supporters supposed to support ??
I’m tempering expectations given the circumstances TT. I think trying to provide balance to calls of the next Tom Mitchell.
would love him to be a star, just have doubts.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
He got 74% of his possessions in the defensive end so presumably played as a defensive mid. You’ve picked out an obscure stat in score assist but ignored possessions, metres gained, DE, contested possessions, pressure acts, clearances….

He was one of our best, no doubt.
Score involvement- not assist. Assist is the prior possession to a score. Involvement means in a chain that results in a score. Where did he play? I read all these calls that he played inside mid and now you say he played in defence?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Score involvement- not assist. Assist is the prior possession to a score. Involvement means in a chain that results in a score. Where did he play? I read all these calls that he played inside mid and now you say he played in defence?
Defensive MID I said.

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Some otherwise astute posters seem unnecessarily blinkered with Ross.

They can't see his strengths.

He is not just a midfield pig. Yes, he can find it. But he can also use it. He has good vision and clean skills. He has the elite big midfielder knack of being able to get his hands free in a tackle. He almost always gets a solid disposal, even under pressure, and has a propensity for clearing handballs.
He is also a technically good long kick, so needs time to develop consistency with it. And even without high level top speed, he can burst.

He is not always effective. Yet. Can get caught. Can blaze away. He has played less than thirty games. With no continuity.

Jack Ross is not X Factor. He is vanilla.

But footy is neopolitan.

We have x factor. Almost too much. Some will say that's not possible. But the amount of times I've seen us burnt with Shai Bolton running forward of the ball in the last six weeks has me yearning for diversity.

He is a cornerstone to a midfield. And the type who doesn't have a breakout year. It just gets to year 7 and your suddenly realise he's your best midfielder. He has elite vanilla traits. He will grow. And, simply, we need him. RCD is a bust. Dow is a maybe. Martyn is a probably not. Prestia is a gun, but a crock. Lambert's joining him. Cotchy's the width of a hamstring from done. Edwards hot on his tail. Bolton will play forward as often as not.

Ross is a safety, but I foresee him greater than that.

One thing that encourages me is that the same people potting him had me scratching my head having to defend Jack Graham a couple of years ago too.

And seriously, if we're talking him down because he gets it a lot but doesn't hurt you, keep in mind this is a side that has played Castagna and Aarts all year who don't get it a lot and don't hurt you.

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Some otherwise astute posters seem unnecessarily blinkered with Ross.

They can't see his strengths.

He is not just a midfield pig. Yes, he can find it. But he can also use it. He has good vision and clean skills. He has the elite big midfielder knack of being able to get his hands free in a tackle. He almost always gets a solid disposal, even under pressure, and has a propensity for clearing handballs.
He is also a technically good long kick, so needs time to develop consistency with it. And even without high level top speed, he can burst.

He is not always effective. Yet. Can get caught. Can blaze away. He has played less than thirty games. With no continuity.

Jack Ross is not X Factor. He is vanilla.

But footy is neopolitan.

We have x factor. Almost too much. Some will say that's not possible. But the amount of times I've seen us burnt with Shai Bolton running forward of the ball in the last six weeks has me yearning for diversity.

He is a cornerstone to a midfield. And the type who doesn't have a breakout year. It just gets to year 7 and your suddenly realise he's your best midfielder. He has elite vanilla traits. He will grow. And, simply, we need him. RCD is a bust. Dow is a maybe. Martyn is a probably not. Prestia is a gun, but a crock. Lambert's joining him. Cotchy's the width of a hamstring from done. Edwards hot on his tail. Bolton will play forward as often as not.

Ross is a safety, but I foresee him greater than that.

One thing that encourages me is that the same people potting him had me scratching my head having to defend Jack Graham a couple of years ago too.

And seriously, if we're talking him down because he gets it a lot but doesn't hurt you, keep in mind this is a side that has played Castagna and Aarts all year who don't get it a lot and don't hurt you.
Nailed it Coburg. 455m gained shows he isn’t a sideways crab like Mitchell.

MD Jazz

Feb 3, 2017
Aarts attended 6 centre bounces for 2 clearances.
Ross attended 22 for 3.
Aarts had 3 score involvements
Ross had 1
Aarts had 4 touches no turnovers
Ross had 24 and 8

And aarts isn’t a mid.

Ross is contracted until end of next year I think? Hope he turns out as good as many think he will.