Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
I think you and others are missing the point. Complaining he is not elite etc. of course he isn’t, we haven’t had a top ten pick for a gazilion seasons. But he deserves a bit more respect and time to prove himself after injury and being played out of position. If we are going to complain about him not being Trent Cotchin we may as well spit the dummy about winning 3 premierships in 4 years. Can’t have our cake and eat it too. But feel free to eat your hat.

Yep fastin, astounds me that people are surprised that a mid taken at pick 43 isn't elite. But a mid that gets it 25 times taken at 43 and is only 20 years old, I'll take that any day of the week. You nail that pick.

The vitriol that this kid has copped over the year is astounding. A medical sub multiple times, and played out of position. 'But if he's any good he should be able to play anywhere' they said. Some players don't have flexibility to play on a back flank or on a wing. The Cats and Power tried playing Joel Selwood on a wing and Travis Boak on a flank respectively and it didn't work, and those 2 were top 10 picks.

Sometimes you are just an inside mid, and that's it. No more, no less.

Reactions: 7 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Yep fastin, astounds me that people are surprised that a mid taken at pick 43 isn't elite. But a mid that gets it 25 times taken at 43 and is only 20 years old, I'll take that any day of the week. You nail that pick.

The vitriol that this kid has copped over the year is astounding. A medical sub multiple times, and played out of position. 'But if he's any good he should be able to play anywhere' they said. Some players don't have flexibility to play on a back flank or on a wing. The Cats and Power tried playing Joel Selwood on a wing and Travis Boak on a flank respectively and it didn't work, and those 2 were top 10 picks.

but hang on Tommy, what are we talking about here?

no one expects a pick 43 to be Dustin Martin, but he shouldn't be gifted senior games if he's not up to it either.

he got 24 disposals in a dead rubber against one of the bottom teams. as Tigersnake might say, I must be on the crazy pills, carry on

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I remember similar conversations with regard to Kane Lambert before he really went stellar. "We won't win a premiership with the likes of Kane Lambert in the side".

Always room for good ordinary footballers in our premiership side, and any side I would pick as well. Ross could yet turn out to a mid/late round pick gem for us.

Reactions: 4 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Yep I understand the line of argument, but we wanna win flags, yeah?

Cotchin
Prestia
Martin
Bolton
Edwards
Lambert
Grigg
Graham

I've probably missed a couple but you get the point. This was our dynasty guts roster.

One bad year. Why are we suddenly so accepting of mediocrity? Back to the draft for a couple of mids and perhaps a quality mid via free agency. I fully expect to contend in 2022 and if that's the objective Jack Ross can't be getting senior games, simple as that.
And how was Edwards at 20? Lambert wasn’t even drafted, people were calling for Griggs head on a plate etc etc. you have to invest in people for them to develop properly and that is the current goal.

Reactions: 5 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
I remember similar conversations with regard to Kane Lambert before he really went stellar. "We won't win a premiership with the likes of Kane Lambert in the side".

Always room for good ordinary footballers in our premiership side, and any side I would pick as well. Ross could yet turn out to a mid/late round pick gem for us.
Not sure anyone said that about Lambert. Houli yes.

Lambert is much quicker than Ross and covers am extraordinary amount of ground.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Yep I understand the line of argument, but we wanna win flags, yeah?

Cotchin
Prestia
Martin
Bolton
Edwards
Lambert
Grigg
Graham

I've probably missed a couple but you get the point. This was our dynasty guts roster.

One bad year. Why are we suddenly so accepting of mediocrity? Back to the draft for a couple of mids and perhaps a quality mid via free agency. I fully expect to contend in 2022 and if that's the objective Jack Ross can't be getting senior games, simple as that.
One bad year or dynasty over do you think.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
no one expects a pick 43 to be Dustin Martin, but he shouldn't be gifted senior games if he's not up to it either.

Where has he been gifted games Carts? As a medical sub? That's the football equivalent of purgatory. Or been gifted games playing in roles where he is totally not suited to? That's a great way to set up a kid to fail. Have a look at where Darcy Parish was played prior to Dylan Shiel going out of the side with injury. Would have been lucky to get it 15 times a game.

He hasn't had any continuity at all this season. Yep, yesterday was a dead rubber. But the kid played a good game.

Reactions: 5 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Not sure anyone said that about Lambert. Houli yes.

Lambert is much quicker than Ross and covers am extraordinary amount of ground.

Yah, Lambert and Ross, different types, I'm not comparing them in that sense.

Check the Lambert thread circa early 2017 even, a few big forum names very down on Lambert and weren't shy about telling everyone else how wrong we were on him.

Edit : June 2017 of the Lambert thread was where it all came to a head :cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
but hang on Tommy, what are we talking about here?

he got 24 disposals in a dead rubber against one of the bottom teams. as Tigersnake might say, I must be on the crazy pills, carry on
Wow, gifted games? I'd say he's been the sacrificial lamb. A game then multiple subs, then out of the side, then back as sub, replaces KMac on wing and then asked to play that role for next two games. Finally gets a go in the middle, where we all know he belongs, with very inexperienced support, RCD and Martyn, and performs very well against quality mids in O'Meara, Mitchell and Winguard and the argument raised is his performance doesn't count because it's a dead rubber.

Credit where it's due, he was on fire, particularly in the first half, he worked his ass off, and imo deserves BOG for the Tigers.

Reactions: 2 users

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
Jack Ross' first season, 2019, was cut short by injury just as he was getting going. Little or no VFL games were played in 2020 and 2021. He also missed quite a few VFL games this year as he was named the medi-sub too.

He's hardly played any footy in 3 years and been shuffled around when played in the seniors. He's done OK considering all that.

Reactions: 10 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Cotchin
Prestia
Martin
Bolton
Edwards
Lambert
Grigg
Graham
Apart from Grigga, I'm pretty sure we've still got our premiership mids for next year. Not sure Rossy can replace Grigga in the ruck, but he could come off the bench n perform his midfield role.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Apart from Grigga, I'm pretty sure we've still got our premiership mids for next year. Not sure Rossy can replace Grigga in the ruck, but he could come off the bench n perform his midfield role.

Yeah, but we have an injury prone and fast-declining Cotchin, injury prone and declining Lambert, and an injury prone Prestia.

Big call to assume all those guys will return to peak form and fitness again, and stay uninjured in 2022. I reckon Ross will get his opportunities next year. And to use the dreaded word "succession", we need to put more time into him and others.

Reactions: 8 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017

Vitriol? Questioning whether he will make it and the value of
persisting with him is vitriol?
Hopefully Smoking is on the money and he becomes our Rory Sloane.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Yeah, but we have an injury prone and fast-declining Cotchin, injury prone and declining Lambert, and an injury prone Prestia.

Big call to assume all those guys will return to peak form and fitness again, and stay uninjured in 2022. I reckon Ross will get his opportunities next year. And to use the dreaded word "succession", we need to put more time into him and others.
That's the crux of it. Add Edwards on the declining curve and injury prone and what we'll find next year is the younger mids getting a lot more game time.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
bloody hell, if Ross is getting games next year because of "succession" then you can chalk up another bottom 6-8 finish.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user