Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Razorgang2

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 15, 2014
Aarts attended 6 centre bounces for 2 clearances.
Ross attended 22 for 3.
Aarts had 3 score involvements
Ross had 1
Aarts had 4 touches no turnovers
Ross had 24 and 8

And aarts isn’t a mid.

Ross is contracted until end of next year I think? Hope he turns out as good as many think he will.
Aarts played how many minutes?

wammo

We're from Tigerland
May 16, 2007
I thought he played a good game and if you had no preconceived opinion you’d be thinking he showed enormous promise for a young footballer. But, yes, it was a dead rubber, somewhere between VFL and AFL intensity for most of the game. The thing I was taken by though was that he stuck a number of really strong tackles. Richmond could do with a bit more of that.

Reactions: 4 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
Ross attended 22 for 3.
Ross had 1
Ross had 24 and 8

And aarts isn’t a mid.

Ross is contracted until end of next year I think? Hope he turns out as good as many think he will.
Impressive
Give FArts a 5 year deal :oops:

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
RCD attended 13 centre bounces and cleared 4 of them.
Aarts attended centre bounces when Hawthorn thought they'd won the match. they stopped running.

Reactions: 1 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Some otherwise astute posters seem unnecessarily blinkered with Ross.

They can't see his strengths.

. Dow is a maybe.

I really hope your right CT,

But if Ross has a better career than Dow,

I'll stop pretending I understand footy.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Ross attended 22 for 3.
Ross had 1
Ross had 24 and 8

And aarts isn’t a mid.

A touch of this is mod positioning.
Ross mostly sat as the sweeper behind the rucks at the bounce, to my eye. He got hands on it a few times and gave off so I guess those wouldn't count as clearances.

Aarts came on with, what?, 5 minutes left and Hawks with the win. Was positioned as the attacking mid at the centre bounce so higher chance to get a clearance, especially with the hawks switched off.

Ross played mid all game including 22 centre bounces.
Lets face it if we had Aarts do that in a game then we would be smashed on transition.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Overall thought Ross was easily the most impressive of our young smalls.
RCD also had his moments.

Ross worked hard back in defence and often was the link-up player. Well done.
He did let the ball go through him a number of times but generally ok with his touch.
His touch and willingness to take the game on should improve as he cements his spot. Looking forward to 22

Reactions: 1 user

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Doing a David King and having a look at the stats, forgetting Ross had 24 touches , the encouraging thing for me was that nearly half were contested and he was close to our best pressure acts , not sure the clearance numbers as that would give a better indication of his midfield ability, let’s not forget Mitchell and Omera nearly raised the bat they had that many touches ….good step for JR all the same

Reactions: 2 users

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Ross attended 22 for 3.
Ross had 1
Ross had 24 and 8

And aarts isn’t a mid.

Aart played for 10 minutes when everyone else was buggerd - Ross played a full midfield game

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Aart played for 10 minutes when everyone else was buggerd - Ross played a full midfield game
Sort of my point. Ross seems to be universally BOG, I watched most of the game good that he played in the only role he is suited to (I agree he is a mid or nothing). But I also saw the same average to poor disposal by foot. He had the most inside 50's in the match for both sides. Yet he had one score involvement. So only once of the 6 times he put the ball i50 did we score. Now raw stats don't tell the whole story, the forwards may have dropped 3 chest marks in those (they didn't) but I never think of Ross as being a good user by foot. (much better by hand). Ross had 1 score involvement for the game playing mid and getting it 24 times. Perhaps he was unlucky. Understand it's a very small sample size to pot his disposal on, but I think his kicking average. And he's not alone in having issues connecting with our forwards. At least he found the ball.

He is young, hopefully he cements his spot through consistent performance. We need to improve our inside game.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Doing a David King and having a look at the stats, forgetting Ross had 24 touches , the encouraging thing for me was that nearly half were contested and he was close to our best pressure acts , not sure the clearance numbers as that would give a better indication of his midfield ability, let’s not forget Mitchell and Omera nearly raised the bat they had that many touches ….good step for JR all the same
Couple of experienced n highly talented players in Mitchell n the Jaegerbomb, backed up by also having an experienced n talented ruck duo to work off.
Pretty sure their was a commentator call early in the game that our starting midfield at the centre bounce had all of about 40 games experience between them. Cujo, Rossy, R2D2, Dow, Martyn.
Was expecting anything around a ten goal or more flogging yesterday n more than happy we fought the game out to the end n pinched a draw when all was pointing at an honorable 5 or 6 goal loss.

Reckon Dimma simply threw the mid field kids in at the deep end yesterday to see who would swim or blow bubbles. Most of em swum pretty good.

Reactions: 7 users

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I really hope your right CT,

But if Ross has a better career than Dow,

I'll stop pretending I understand footy.
Dow has more elite attributes than Ross. But he's not as much of a footballer. Ross is clearly a better option if we want to push for another flag next year. I reckon he'll have the better career too, but who knows.

I hope they compliment each other for the next ten years.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Some otherwise astute posters seem unnecessarily blinkered with Ross.

They can't see his strengths.

He is not just a midfield pig. Yes, he can find it. But he can also use it. He has good vision and clean skills. He has the elite big midfielder knack of being able to get his hands free in a tackle. He almost always gets a solid disposal, even under pressure, and has a propensity for clearing handballs.
He is also a technically good long kick, so needs time to develop consistency with it. And even without high level top speed, he can burst.

He is not always effective. Yet. Can get caught. Can blaze away. He has played less than thirty games. With no continuity.

Jack Ross is not X Factor. He is vanilla.

But footy is neopolitan.

We have x factor. Almost too much. Some will say that's not possible. But the amount of times I've seen us burnt with Shai Bolton running forward of the ball in the last six weeks has me yearning for diversity.

He is a cornerstone to a midfield. And the type who doesn't have a breakout year. It just gets to year 7 and your suddenly realise he's your best midfielder. He has elite vanilla traits. He will grow. And, simply, we need him. RCD is a bust. Dow is a maybe. Martyn is a probably not. Prestia is a gun, but a crock. Lambert's joining him. Cotchy's the width of a hamstring from done. Edwards hot on his tail. Bolton will play forward as often as not.

Ross is a safety, but I foresee him greater than that.

One thing that encourages me is that the same people potting him had me scratching my head having to defend Jack Graham a couple of years ago too.

And seriously, if we're talking him down because he gets it a lot but doesn't hurt you, keep in mind this is a side that has played Castagna and Aarts all year who don't get it a lot and don't hurt you.

Well said Burg, I enjoyed that.

I also appreciate the surprisingly passionate defence of Ross from what seems the majority of PREnders.

I hope the lad makes a solid career in the AFL but I don’t see it happening. He’s just not good enough.

• Haha

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I'm with you Coburger. Ross will have a career and hopefully it's with us.

Remember our midfield is not easy to break into the last few years and he's a true mid.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Well said Burg, I enjoyed that.

I also appreciate the surprisingly passionate defence of Ross from what seems the majority of PREnders.

I hope the lad makes a solid career in the AFL but I don’t see it happening. He’s just not good enough.
I think you and others are missing the point. Complaining he is not elite etc. of course he isn’t, we haven’t had a top ten pick for a gazilion seasons. But he deserves a bit more respect and time to prove himself after injury and being played out of position. If we are going to complain about him not being Trent Cotchin we may as well spit the dummy about winning 3 premierships in 4 years. Can’t have our cake and eat it too. But feel free to eat your hat.

Reactions: 1 user

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I think you and others are missing the point. Complaining he is not elite etc. of course he isn’t, we haven’t had a top ten pick for a gazilion seasons. But he deserves a bit more respect and time to prove himself after injury and being played out of position. If we are going to complain about him not being Trent Cotchin we may as well spit the dummy about winning 3 premierships in 4 years. Can’t have our cake and eat it too. But feel free to eat your hat.

Yep I understand the line of argument, but we wanna win flags, yeah?

Cotchin
Prestia
Martin
Bolton
Edwards
Lambert
Grigg
Graham

I've probably missed a couple but you get the point. This was our dynasty guts roster.

One bad year. Why are we suddenly so accepting of mediocrity? Back to the draft for a couple of mids and perhaps a quality mid via free agency. I fully expect to contend in 2022 and if that's the objective Jack Ross can't be getting senior games, simple as that.