Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yep, forgot to add Edwards to the "in decline" list.

Like @LeeToRainesToRoach said elsewhere, we have the 3rd oldest list and we finished 12th. That means window closed, time to rejuvenate.

I'd love to see us challenge for the flag next year again, but it's a fantasy. We've got some promising young mids including Ross but you have to think about how much, slog, pain the likes of Cotchin/Dusty/Edwards went through to get to be so good that no-one could stop em.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
That's the crux of it. Add Edwards on the declining curve and injury prone and what we'll find next year is the younger mids getting a lot more game time.
No coincidence that these 3 Key Mids have been 3 of our 4 two way runners along with Fridge.

Wear and Tear of the chaos style plus their advancing ages (Cotchie and Lambo) has taken more petrol tickets from them and now they are susceptible to soft tissue / joint injury through fatigue and wear and tear.

The extra break will do these guys a world of good.

We can challenge next year with the right luck but next year is likely our last shot at at it before more heavy rebuilding and re stumping is in order.

The first 8 weeks will likely give us a more reliable indication.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
No coincidence that these 3 Key Mids have been 3 of our 4 two way runners along with Fridge.

Wear and Tear of the chaos style plus their advancing ages (Cotchie and Lambo) has taken more petrol tickets from them and now they are susceptible to soft tissue / joint injury through fatigue and wear and tear.

We can challenge next year with the right luck but next year is likely our last shot at at it before more heavy rebuilding and re stumping is in order.

Look at how the old Cats have finished the season, a few injuries and form deteriorated.

It's a real challenge. I'm sure in 5 months time the boys will be raring to go. But how will they be after Round 8? Round 15? I'd love us to have another crack but as Ant suggests it's pretty unlikely.

What a story it would be....

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Stodgy blandness thus far. Deprived of development opportunities over the last 2 yrs due to COVID so another yr on the list.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Look at how the old Cats have finished the season, a few injuries and form deteriorated.

It's a real challenge. I'm sure in 5 months time the boys will be raring to go. But how will they be after Round 8? Round 15? I'd love us to have another crack but as Ant suggests it's pretty unlikely.

What a story it would be....
Yep its likely our last shot but it could all go tits up real fast too, agreed.

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
Yeah, but we have an injury prone and fast-declining Cotchin, injury prone and declining Lambert, and an injury prone Prestia.

Big call to assume all those guys will return to peak form and fitness again, and stay uninjured in 2022. I reckon Ross will get his opportunities next year. And to use the dreaded word "succession", we need to put more time into him and others.
We also have my man Shane who when uninjured is pure magic on the field but age and injuries are catching up on the guy just like our core mids. Ross may not be the superstar like the ones mentions but he has enough talent and grunt to be more than serviceable to us for years to come

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Pre-draft commentary in 2018...He was noted pre-draft for his strength, power and ball-winning ability and was labelled by Aussie Rules Draft Central as "a ready-made prospect". No mention of disposal efficiency and why does he now duck his head when going back for a mark? I know this is harsh but are those two reasons why he went pick 43?

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Yep fastin, astounds me that people are surprised that a mid taken at pick 43 isn't elite. But a mid that gets it 25 times taken at 43 and is only 20 years old, I'll take that any day of the week. You nail that pick.

The vitriol that this kid has copped over the year is astounding. A medical sub multiple times, and played out of position. 'But if he's any good he should be able to play anywhere' they said. Some players don't have flexibility to play on a back flank or on a wing. The Cats and Power tried playing Joel Selwood on a wing and Travis Boak on a flank respectively and it didn't work, and those 2 were top 10 picks.

Sometimes you are just an inside mid, and that's it. No more, no less.

Pre-draft commentary in 2018...He was noted pre-draft for his strength, power and ball-winning ability and was labelled by Aussie Rules Draft Central as "a ready-made prospect". No mention of disposal efficiency and why does he now duck his head when going back for a mark? I know this is harsh but are those two reasons why he went pick 43?
followed Jacks year at Caulfield Grammar in 2018. After being captain of Vic Metro 16’s he had a few bad injuries and ultimately missed Vic Metro 18’s selection. The coaches at Caulfield couldn’t understand why as he became one of the top players in APS and won the B&F for Oakleigh in a team that won the GF. One thought was the whole man child thing and limited scope for development.
he is an inside mid, always has been. Playing him in a running wing role is just stupid. Is mega fit but isn’t a running machine like KMac.

Reactions: 3 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009

I think the club needs to be smarter by rotating players more often like they do in the top soccer leagues. This is a proactive way of ensuring their conditioning is as close to 100% & helps reduce the possibility of injury/reinjury. It also helps utilise younger players ideally on the right terms when the team is relatively injury free, unlike this season with the cupboard bare. You presumably will find these youngsters play with more confidence knowing they have more seasoned players to teach and support them on field

Last edited:

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
followed Jacks year at Caulfield Grammar in 2018. After being captain of Vic Metro 16’s he had a few bad injuries and ultimately missed Vic Metro 18’s selection. The coaches at Caulfield couldn’t understand why as he became one of the top players in APS and won the B&F for Oakleigh in a team that won the GF. One thought was the whole man child thing and limited scope for development.
he is an inside mid, always has been. Playing him in a running wing role is just stupid. Is mega fit but isn’t a running machine like KMac.
Thanks for the background Ghost, hope he gets a chance to play regular games next year if we can get over this Covid crisis.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
Yes thanks also Ghost, i know it was more like a Practice game, Jack looked a lot more likely on Saturday in traffic, rather than on the wing or half back. The Club must be big fans, as they are keen to get games into him.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
I liked what I saw & was glad he still has another year on his contract.
agree. With some work done on his tank and transition over the past couple years would like to see his upcoming full pre-season focus on in and under work, tackling and first ball use.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
At my local footy oval and Jack was there training with a couple of draft hopefuls who live locally. When you see an AFL player train it is obvious why they are so much better than your suburban punters. Saw him drop some long range goals on the left and right and moving really well.

Reactions: 9 users

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I think the club needs to be smarter by rotating players more often like they do in the top soccer leagues. This is a proactive way of ensuring their conditioning is as close to 100% & helps reduce the possibility of injury/reinjury. It also helps utilise younger players ideally on the right terms when the team is relatively injury free, unlike this season with the cupboard bare. You presumably will find these youngsters play with more confidence knowing they have more seasoned players to teach and support them on field
It's a tough one that's been magnified this past years with constipated VFL. In normal years the kids would be able to play the exact role expected of them at the lower levels so they'd be better prepared. Lightning couldn't strike the same club twice? Could it? I bl00dy hope not!