Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Ross would be one of just a few players on the list (apart from recent recruits) who haven't got a premiership medal swinging around their necks.
He'll be most keen to rectify that situation this season. It's make or break for Rossy in 2022.
And I reckon he's going to give it everything he's got.
He's gonna have to or its likely someone else will be wearing the #5 guernsey for the RFC in 2023.

I sense we will be targeting an established mid in the trade period this coming season.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
The sides been that good over the 17 to 20 period, most of the kids struggled to get games. Covid made it even harder to get any games at all in 20.
Hurts to have to wear the ladder result this year but the rolling injury run was probably the best thing that could have happened for our youngsters. Plenty of them got to play a good handful of games that they desperately needed for their development.
As for Rossy, I'm thinking n hoping that they've taken him out of an inside midfield type game purely to round out his overall game. Play some game time in n under, play some time outside running up n down wing or off half back so he learns the unrewarded aspect of working hard to cover ground n fill holes n just make him a better all round footballer.

Expecting that next year some of our youngsters will start pushing regular seniors for games even when we have a full squad and at worst case scenario, if we get a run of injuries to the " old " favourites we'll hardly even notice 'coz the kids just seamlessly slot into the side.

Reactions: 6 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
I’ve watched a few replays of him very closely and unfortunately he’s not a one touch player. Gets his hands to it but fumbles under pressure.
Also goes to ground far too easily.
Nor is he an elite decision maker or kick.
Needs to rectify these issues or he’s gone.
AFL is a ruthless game.
Have to have some elite traits to carve out a career.
I’d be disappointed if some of the new recruits don’t go past him on what I’ve seen to date

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
He's gonna have to or its likely someone else will be wearing the #5 guernsey for the RFC in 2023.

I sense we will be targeting an established mid in the trade period this coming season.
I was thinking the same but now starting to think we will wait 1 more year before going after a mid as a free agent or trade unless a plyer we rate highly falls into our lap like Prestia in 2016.

Personally i think we need to hit the draft next year as well with our 3 picks for some tall KPF then target a elite mid with some money in the bank after Dusty's big contract expires as well as having a good look at the current kids we have.

No guarantee's Cotchin , Shedda or Jack retire end of 2022

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
I was thinking the same but now starting to think we will wait 1 more year before going after a mid as a free agent or trade unless a plyer we rate highly falls into our lap like Prestia in 2016.

Personally i think we need to hit the draft next year as well with our 3 picks for some tall KPF then target a elite mid with some money in the bank after Dusty's big contract expires as well as having a good look at the current kids we have.

No guarantee's Cotchin , Shedda or Jack retire end of 2022
IMO we'll use FA to get a mid & use our picks in the Draft, trades for if anyone wants to leave to add to that pool.

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I’ve watched a few replays of him very closely and unfortunately he’s not a one touch player. Gets his hands to it but fumbles under pressure.
AFL is a ruthless game.
I’d be disappointed if some of the new recruits don’t go past him on what I’ve seen to date
Can't disagree but I think that bad ankle injury a few years ago knocked his confidence because he depends so much on his agility and disposal efficiency. Then Covid halted his progress as we know. Sounds like I'm providing excuses for him or possible reasons for his loss of form? No excuses now so if he doesn't get any new injuries it will be hard work and mental toughness that controls his destiny. He was pick #43 in 2018 so he started with some deficiencies. Maybe he won't be the class mid-fielder some are hoping he'll become?

Reactions: 2 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Not sure if it says more about Ross or our recruiting when Ross has played more games than all our other draftees taken from 2018 onwards combined. Or that he has managed 20+ disposals on five occasions while only one other draftee from 2018 onward has managed this once.

Agree with the view that it’s probably a make or break season for him but on current form that also goes doubly so for RCD, Martyn, Dow, Ralphsmith and Cumberland.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I saw Jack training at my local oval back in October. For a guy that on TV looks a bit slow, in real life he is fast. Fast of foot but especially fast of hand. If it can all click for Jack he will be a very solid midfielder for years to come
Never really saw him as slow. He’s not super quick but he is fast enough.

The problem for him imo is that he doesn’t have anything that makes him standout he is just a good allround footballer. Not super quick, is not evasive, adequate kick, not dangerous up forward. He is an accumulator and link player. To me he has to develop a much better inside and stoppage game to take the next step.

Don’t get me wrong, he is more than adequate to play games but he strikes me as someone who is going to play 50-100 games in a decent career but never be a standout.

Long Lost Hernaman

Tiger Matchwinner
Oct 19, 2007
Never really saw him as slow. He’s not super quick but he is fast enough.

The problem for him imo is that he doesn’t have anything that makes him standout he is just a good allround footballer. Not super quick, is not evasive, adequate kick, not dangerous up forward. He is an accumulator and link player. To me he has to develop a much better inside and stoppage game to take the next step.

Don’t get me wrong, he is more than adequate to play games but he strikes me as someone who is going to play 50-100 games in a decent career but never be a standout.
I don't disagree.

But it got me thinking about RFC players of the past who had effective careers but who may not have stood out for having any particular above average attribute.

For some reason Matthew Rogers (aka small hands) comes to mind. Did he have any outstanding attribute or was he just a good ordinary player?

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
I don't disagree.

But it got me thinking about RFC players of the past who had effective careers but who may not have stood out for having any particular above average attribute.

For some reason Matthew Rogers (aka small hands) comes to mind. Did he have any outstanding attribute or was he just a good ordinary player?
Quite a good comparison but Matty played 197 games ('94 to '04) in a team that generally wasn't too flash except for a couple of finals appearances. Rossy will need to improve a lot to reach that many games with our current list.

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
If anyone is doubting talent or ability watch the early season Sydney and Melbourne games in 2019. Very good performances playing inside mid. Unfortunately for whatever reason he has not gotten back to that level post injury.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
AFL is a ruthless game.

Theres no doubt in my mind,

His our reverse-whipping boy.

Which is fine.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I don't disagree.

Matty Rogers had a great goal sense and was a terrific one on one mark for his size

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
AFL is a ruthless game.
i reckon a kid who had 25 disposals and 4 clearances in his 1st game against a midfield of Boak, Wines and Rockcliff has shown he can win the ball, and his 7 score involvements that game shows he can use it effectively.
2 weeks later he backed it up with 28, and 8 score involvements against a Dees midfield with Oliver, Viney, Jones and Max Gawn.

glass half full view says he has spent the last 2 years regaining fitness after his foot injury, and learning different roles and skills playing in different position. that glass half full view says he is now ready to go back to playing as an inside mid, and he will be an improved version of the 19yo who played those good games.

but time is running out as a 21yo mid.

Reactions: 10 users

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
AFL is a ruthless game.

This. Goes to ground and isn’t always clean.

Reservations on him and have RCD and Dow ahead for mid roles

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
i reckon a kid who had 25 disposals and 4 clearances in his 1st game against a midfield of Boak, Wines and Rockcliff has shown he can win the ball, and his 7 score involvements that game shows he can use it effectively.
2 weeks later he backed it up with 28, and 8 score involvements against a Dees midfield with Oliver, Viney, Jones and Max Gawn.

glass half full view says he has spent the last 2 years regaining fitness after his foot injury, and learning different roles and skills playing in different position. that glass half full view says he is now ready to go back to playing as an inside mid, and he will be an improved version of the 19yo who played those good games.

but time is running out as a 21yo mid.

Glass half full indeed. Sounds like a stretch

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004
AFL is a ruthless game.
Sounds a bit like the early version of A. Rance?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Glass half full indeed. Sounds like a stretch
Maybe, i wont be staking my well deserved reputation on Ross making it, but I do think he had been played in different positions to round out his game, rather than trying to turn him in a HBF or wing. and the foot injury undoubtedly affected his game.

Reactions: 1 users