Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

If the season was done TM I agree , however if we still believe we can win the Cup then Pickett gets the nod for me

I feel Mini still reckons we need something hard-edged up forward hence the Fish gets the job there right now. In an ideal world I'd still have him on the wing.

Reactions: 4 users
I feel Mini still reckons we need something hard-edged up forward hence the Fish gets the job there right now. In an ideal world I'd still have him on the wing.
I like him on the wing - but Pickett has been doing some important stuff up forward.

Reactions: 1 user
He will play better. He did some good, some poor. But overall he still has plenty of improvement left in him. Still learning but gaining more self confidence whichis a good thing

Reactions: 1 users
He will play better. He did some good, some poor. But overall he still has plenty of improvement left in him. Still learning but gaining more self confidence whichis a good thing
Yep - his footy is trending upwards and he’s doing a bit more good stuff each week and with a bit more authority too

Reactions: 4 users
Question for me right now , is he a better option then Pickett in the same role ?
Pickett better for mine
But with JR as #1 forward and Samson #2 we need Pickett in the forward Caddy role to keep the barstools honest.
Team balance is better with Ross on the wing and Pickett forward

Reactions: 5 users
Yeah Pickett looks good up forward

On Ross, one thing I’ve been really impressed with is his link presenting down back when we regain possession.

Doesn’t always get used but he’s matched Pickett’s running for sure, no small feat.

In fact you could mount an argument that Pickett’s delivery from D50 is sometimes “ambitious” but Ross will at least make sure of his target.

Both players slotting in nicely and credit to mini and co for their tactical nous.

I still don’t see the big picture with Ross, but let’s take it a game at a time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Pickett better for mine
But with JR as #1 forward and Samson #2 we need Pickett in the forward Caddy role to keep the barstools honest.
Team balance is better with Ross on the wing and Pickett forward
I look at it a bit different td, main thing is I obviously don’t rate Ross’s potential/output as high as others , he’s made 2 horrendous mistakes in the dying moments of the last 2 games that could have cost us both games, yes everyone makes mistakes , however he makes a few to many for mine to be a Premiership player at this stage.

I see Cumberland, even Bauer as better forward options then Pickett , just had a look at the last 5 games where Pickett has played forward , he’s kicked 2.1 , it’s not enough 3 shots at goal in 5 matches , don’t care what his pressure acts or tackles are , it’s simply not enough as a forward , Mansells shots at goal would be a lot more and he’s been dropped.

I think we are a better team with Pickett in it , just like Ross can only play wing , both double grabbers in tight , now before I get shot down , neither get any genuine midfield time ( Pickett tried and failed couple of weeks ago) Dimma, Mini and co know their weaknesses, IMHO Pickett is still a better option on a wing , KMac is a non negotiable, much better wingman then both . I’d love to see Ross make the grade , however to me he’s just a depth player , yes there’s definitely positives with his play , last night he got slaughtered by an average journey man in Aish , just dosent have any weapons to me and again missed targets and fumbled in tight . Definitely a VFL mid where everything is slower as his a bloody good footballer , it’s jury out for me if he can improve enough to be an AFL best 22 lock

I look at it a bit different td, main thing is I obviously don’t rate Ross’s potential/output as high as others , he’s made 2 horrendous mistakes in the dying moments of the last 2 games that could have cost us both games, yes everyone makes mistakes , however he makes a few to many for mine to be a Premiership player at this stage.

I see Cumberland, even Bauer as better forward options then Pickett , just had a look at the last 5 games where Pickett has played forward , he’s kicked 2.1 , it’s not enough 3 shots at goal in 5 matches , don’t care what his pressure acts or tackles are , it’s simply not enough as a forward , Mansells shots at goal would be a lot more and he’s been dropped.

I think we are a better team with Pickett in it , just like Ross can only play wing , both double grabbers in tight , now before I get shot down , neither get any genuine midfield time ( Pickett tried and failed couple of weeks ago) Dimma, Mini and co know their weaknesses, IMHO Pickett is still a better option on a wing , KMac is a non negotiable, much better wingman then both . I’d love to see Ross make the grade , however to me he’s just a depth player , yes there’s definitely positives with his play , last night he got slaughtered by an average journey man in Aish , just dosent have any weapons to me and again missed targets and fumbled in tight . Definitely a VFL mid where everything is slower as his a bloody good footballer , it’s jury out for me if he can improve enough to be an AFL best 22 lock
Pickett played 1 of those games as a mid, so I'd bump his average up :)
2 goals in 4 games is umm hmm still not great is it. He looks a little lost.

But you make a solid argument.
I'm more bullish on Ross and happy to give them both more games to settle them in.
Cumbo injured and Bauer down back so unlikely to change in the next month

Ross has been solid imo and has surprised me a bit how much he's improved on the wing. Still think he's better inside bust some of the moves he's been making, shimmies, blind turns as his confidence grow has been great. Was poor at the end of the game last night but if he does that at the start of the game no-one blinks an eyelid. First quarter we turned over the ball in the backline I counted 5 times in a row. Does anyone remember who? Pickett is now 31.5 years old. KMac is 29. We have to start playing alternatives. It's exposure to experience that is required now, not just on the wing but everywhere. We beat Freo well imo but don't forget this round Fremantle are the youngest side going around, we are the oldest.

Still see some issues, but he is certainly improving and the rate of improvement is getting better.

If you asked me a month or 2 ago if he would make it as a regular player in our best 22, assuming the team improves over the next few years, I would have said no, now it is a maybe and he is getting closer to a yes.

Good to see, he has some traits which can get him a regular spot in the team, his trajectory is going in the right direction.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
:ROFLMAO: Ross is nothing like Georgie
I mean, for starters he can both kick and handball, something Castagna was yet to become even average at on a regular basis. Castagna a much better overhead mark though.

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 2 users
is a strong mark and great kick for goals. Shows us that he can play. additional games will see the improvement.