Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Played well.

If this was our 2017-2020 midfield you could say he would struggle to get a game.

But it's not. Him and Mcauliffe should get Dow's midfield minutes going forward.

Reactions: 7 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
You know why he has minimal impact on ball. Cos he aint an on baller. Not a very good one anyway. He's good at mopping up sometimes. He's more composed than some. And disposal is mostly good. But he aint no permanent mid.
Yeh, he's not really a clearance player. Unfortunately we are so thin for mids he is getting a go as a mid. He wouldn't be playing for most other sides.

He seemed to be matching Butters for parts of the 3rd qtr.

One thing, he is going to get a full season given our light we are for midfield depth.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I liked him in the middle, did well and as others have said he doesn't panic and does lower his eyes. Was 1 of few to find a kick that was marked through our midfield. We need more of that so that we can control more of the game than we are at the moment.

Reactions: 5 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Just looked because I thought I was going mad.

First CB of the 2nd half was Taranto, Baker, and Dow.

2nd CB after the Dixon goal was Taranto, Baker and Dusty,

3rd was Dow, Bolton and Baker

At this point Port have kicked 3 quick goals to start the quarter, and Ross is moved back into the centre.

Bolton, Taranto and Ross moves to the centre, we win the clearance, Port rebound and goal

Then we get Taranto, Dusty and Ross, win a clearance and eventually goal.

So I think it's a bit much to say Ross and Dow were sharing it. Lots of Taranto, Baker, Bolton and Dusty getting runover. Ross spent a lot more of the second half of the third in the centre, and I think we went 3 and 3 for goals after that.
Fair enough. You’ve taken the time to do the research so I’ll take your word for it. At the game I didn’t observe his overall game as closely as you have here. So kudos.

I’m happy for Ross to take the midfield minutes of Dow who’s now shown his weaknesses.
After Jack’s great debut on ball many of us wondered for a long time why he wasn’t getting a chance to show it again. We need to see what these fringe players have got before sweeping list changes are made. So let’s see it. :cool:

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The problem with Ross is the problem with our midfield as a collective: sllllooooow. He gets a kick and he's pretty good if safe with the ball. But when he's in there that's just another non-explosive player not bursting out the front of stoppage to catch backlines one-out. And when they have it he's a non-factor.

He stays in. But to have a long-term future he'll need to be surrounded by faster, more explosive types. And even then, can we carry his lack of defensive impact? Which one of Warner, Heeney or Gulden doesn't exploit him the other way?

He's a sandbag for now, and quite possibly for the next few years. Not a pillar of the next structure. (We might only have one of those in the midfield, and he's played one VFL game.)

Reactions: 2 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
The problem with Ross is the problem with our midfield as a collective: sllllooooow. He gets a kick and he's pretty good if safe with the ball. But when he's in there that's just another non-explosive player not bursting out the front of stoppage to catch backlines one-out. And when they have it he's a non-factor.

He stays in. But to have a long-term future he'll need to be surrounded by faster, more explosive types. And even then, can we carry his lack of defensive impact? Which one of Warner, Heeney or Gulden doesn't exploit him the other way?

He's a sandbag for now, and quite possibly for the next few years. Not a pillar of the next structure. (We might only have one of those in the midfield, and he's played one VFL game.)

Agree Spook. This is why I think Bolton needs to be in the midfield as much as possible, along with any of the kids who are quick and can learn. Ross, Taranto, Hopper, aging Dusty are just too slow as a combo.

I'm a Ross fan but he's easily tradable if we can't get this balance right. Still, good game from him yesterday.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Agree Spook. This is why I think Bolton needs to be in the midfield as much as possible, along with any of the kids who are quick and can learn. Ross, Taranto, Hopper, aging Dusty are just too slow as a combo.

I'm a Ross fan but he's easily tradable if we can't get this balance right. Still, good game from him yesterday.
The problem is how much can Bolton be asked to do? His first half was extraordinary.

Reactions: 1 user

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Numbers up. 26 touches. SI up. 12! 5 clearance. Huge for Ross. Got his hands dirty at times and stood under a high ball. Might be maturing. He's got to do it again.

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Numbers up. 26 touches. SI up. 12! 5 clearance. Huge for Ross. Got his hands dirty at times and stood under a high ball. Might be maturing. He's got to do it again.

Agree. The performance was great. If he can back that up he must be a gun

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

The thing is Ross doesnt have to be explosive (oh lord but wouldnt we love him to be better).

This is how I see the midfield.
For all things pyrotechnical we go to the mighty Shai.
For down and dirty action we have the redoubtable Timmy T.
Ross complements these two. He needs to play swooper, as backstop to prevent the bad guys bursting out of the stoppage.
Who else do we have to play that role? Mr Occasional Dusty? Not if we want to defend. Dow? Not if we want tackles laid. Jack G injured. Meatball injured. Hops injured.
Marlion? Maybe but he's liable to mix it up. Worth a trial I'd say.
SnakeEyes? Tremendous ground ball gets and pressure. Starts inside for mine.
So Ross is #4 mid. Get him playing the change-up, defensive and link. Keep his role clearly defined and he'll follow it.

The bigger issue is we need more pyro. Shai can explode for 1 term which is enough to keep us in position at the turn for home. But more bangs needed!
How do we solve this? And get more from our elite but non-functioning half back line?
The Prince.
Maybe Hugo plays. Or Brown is handed a deputy star alongside Shorty.
But lets get DRio into the game with occasional roving duties.

A team - Shai, Timmy, Liam
B team - Duz, Ross, Dan
And Marlion to switch in.
McAuliffe and Juddy to get cameos.

Reactions: 4 users

Merveille

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2007
The thing is Ross doesnt have to be explosive (oh lord but wouldnt we love him to be better).

Ross complements these two. He needs to play swooper, as backstop to prevent the bad guys bursting out of the stoppage.
Who else do we have to play that role? Mr Occasional Dusty? Not if we want to defend. Dow? Not if we want tackles laid. Jack G injured. Meatball injured. Hops injured.
So Ross is #4 mid. Get him playing the change-up, defensive and link. Keep his role clearly defined and he'll follow it.

The bigger issue is we need more pyro. Shai can explode for 1 term which is enough to keep us in position at the turn for home. But more bangs needed!
How do we solve this? And get more from our elite but non-functioning half back line?
The Prince.

B team - Duz, Ross, Dan
MACauliffe looks a gun but it's not about speed either.
Jud Clarke hopefully takes next step because he does have real wheels like the Road Runner when he uses them

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

The Prince.

B team - Duz, Ross, Dan

I've been big on getting Dan Rioli more into the mid rotation too. He has the skill to be able to move into that role IMO and provide much needed speed through there.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I've been big on getting Dan Rioli more into the mid rotation too. He has the skill to be able to move into that role IMO and provide much needed speed through there.
Should we write to Yeezy?

IMO we thought there was more value with DR off half back. In 22 and 23 that was right but i don't see it now.
But we still have to find a replacement HBF. Shorty can take the lead attacking role so we only need a support runner. Its why I think Hugo comes into the frame

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Should we write to Yeezy?

IMO we thought there was more value with DR off half back. In 22 and 23 that was right but i don't see it now.
But we still have to find a replacement HBF. Shorty can take the lead attacking role so we only need a support runner. Its why I think Hugo comes into the frame

I think our focus on hbf needs to be on kicking ability, which is why I have Brown in there. The other one could be to move Baker back, maybe float Bakes and Rioli off half back / midfield and rotate both of them through both areas.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The other candidate for HBF is Juddy. We need him to get more leather and that's the place to start.

Reactions: 4 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The other candidate for HBF is Juddy. We need him to get more leather and that's the place to start.
Love it. Speed and skillz.
Can still play outside, right shoulder of Shorty.
And The Prince joins Snakeballs in the guts.
Not a full time gig, not high enduro. Pure burst
Imagine lining up with Bolton Baker Rioli at the first bounce of the last quarter.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Love it. Speed and skillz.
Can still play outside, right shoulder of Shorty.
And The Prince joins Snakeballs in the guts.
Not a full time gig, not high enduro. Pure burst
Imagine lining up with Bolton Baker Rioli at the first bounce of the last quarter.
I think that centre square combo would be a bit small but it would be dynamic.

I'm really warming to my Juddy to HBF idea. Shorty to the wing.

Reactions: 1 users