Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Was very impressed with his games early in the year in the AFL, but didnt think he quite had that same look of composure about him in the recent VFL games I watched .
agree Kiwi. and that one AFL game he played despite his pressure acts, etc.. looked a little wanting at times and butchered the ball a bit. he may get the gig though .. depends on the shuffle that occurs with Graham being out ..

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
I love Jack Ross, but on recent footy form you cant pick him. If he gets a game, I hope he plays out of his skin

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
agree Kiwi. and that one AFL game he played despite his pressure acts, etc.. looked a little wanting at times and butchered the ball a bit. he may get the gig though .. depends on the shuffle that occurs with Graham being out ..
He played two AFL games. West Coast, and Carlton the week before.
21 disposals, 7 tackles, 6 clearances, 1 goal assist, 3 inside 50s, 3 rebound 50s v Carlton. (That'll do!)
11 disposals, 1 tackle, 3 clearances, 0 goal assists, 1 inside 50, 3 rebound 50s v West Coast.

These games came after he only played a half in the VFL (12 touches) in his comeback game after three months.

Then back in the VFL:
21 disposals, 5 tackles v Essendon in VFL qualifying final. One of our best when we were overrun in the first half.
16 disposals, 2 tackles v Port Melbourne in prelim. I thought he was pretty good.

I think he will play. Replace inside defensive pressure and outside chasing with inside ball winning and clean long kicking.

Reactions: 6 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
I think he will play. Replace inside defensive pressure and outside chasing with inside ball winning and clean long kicking.

cheers Spook. missed the Carlton game, the WC game was the one i referenced where he wasn't so good.
trust the MC i suppose, they've done a decent job all year ..

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
cheers Spook. missed the Carlton game, the WC game was the one i referenced where he wasn't so good.
trust the MC i suppose, they've done a decent job all year ..
Low numbers v West Coast and a couple of poor moments but he only played about 55% TOG from memory, so the numbers are better than they look.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
One mans misfortune gives the chance to another and Jack Ross will take that chance with everything he has so will not be a weakness in our team come Saturday

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Watched some early 2019 match highlights. Ross was everywhere. If he didn't get injured he would have won the Rising Star by a mile.

D85

///
Nov 22, 2004
coburg
The one thing you can bank on is that he wont be over awed by the moment, very level headed and focussed

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Graham vs Ross first year stats, similar draft picks. Graham was sensational in finals of 2017 at same age. Ross has the game to replace Graham without too much pain.

PS remember also statistically Ross was injured early in Fremantle game for just 4 disposals. Take that game away and he's actually averaging almost 20 disposals a game. And 3.5 tackles, almost 8 contested possessions. He's a ripper.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Graham vs Ross first year stats, similar draft picks. Graham was sensational in finals of 2017 at same age. Ross has the game to replace Graham without too much pain.

Interesting. Stand out difference is Grahams 7 tackles per game vs Ross's 3.1. But then Ross averages 284m gained vs 186m to Graham.

Graham more coal face, Ross more distributor

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Interesting. Stand out difference is Grahams 7 tackles per game vs Ross's 3.1. But then Ross averages 284m gained vs 186m to Graham.

Yes but Ross is no slouch defensively. He runs both ways and sticks his tackles and has good pressure act stats. So yes we lose a little defensively but gain in as you say distribution. Perfect replacement imo and confident his personality will allow him to handle the situation well.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
i reckon 55% Ross, 45% McIntosh.

One mans misfortune gives the chance to another and Jack Ross will take that chance with everything he has so will not be a weakness in our team come Saturday

bit of irony that the player who won a premierhip medal in his 5th game is likely to be replaced by a kid who's played 5 games.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
has not set the world on fire post his ankle injury, and understandably so. Some of hies early games (staggering how he did not get a rising star nomination - one for 2020 !!!) ) he looked like a 50+ 23yo playing in his 3-4th year. his marking, penetration in his kicking, ball use, tackling - simply superb ! With a few weeks off now, several hit outs post the ankle lets hope if selected can contribute in the same way as he did in the earlier rounds.

I think we absolutely need to replace Grame with another midfielder, that extra option to rotate Dusty-Cotch-Lamber- Prestia-Edwards and Ross hives us so much more flexibility. You can argue you can throw Pickett in there but you cant do that with McIntosh. An extra mid also lets dusty play up forward more. We have ~ 30 hours before we find out I guess.

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
has not set the world on fire post his ankle injury, and understandably so. Some of hies early games (staggering how he did not get a rising star nomination - one for 2020 !!!) ) he looked like a 50+ 23yo playing in his 3-4th year. his marking, penetration in his kicking, ball use, tackling - simply superb ! With a few weeks off now, several hit outs post the ankle lets hope if selected can contribute in the same way as he did in the earlier rounds.

I think we absolutely need to replace Grame with another midfielder, that extra option to rotate Dusty-Cotch-Lamber- Prestia-Edwards and Ross hives us so much more flexibility. You can argue you can throw Pickett in there but you cant do that with McIntosh. An extra mid also lets dusty play up forward more. We have ~ 30 hours before we find out I guess.

My only concern too Pops with KMac.
Shown that he struggles in the midfield.

Lucky I’m not Dimma or the MC selecting the team.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
Im hearing from a pretty good sauce

JrOss going to the big dance.

dimmauchamp

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2003
Can understand the selection reasoning as it gives us another midfield body to extract the ball as we know Gws will heavily tag Martin or Prestia.
My only concern is if he has the run in the legs.

Tenacious

Tiger Legend
May 19, 2008
My only concern too Pops with KMac.
Shown that he struggles in the midfield.

Lucky I’m not Dimma or the MC selecting the team.

My two bobs worth
KMac isn’t really a midfield replacement for JG
He could play on the wing and allow Caddy into the middle to provide a bit of JG type grunt - but Caddy has been doing well where is.
Or he could have been a tall defender option if required for Broad - but it seems Broady will be OK

It’s gonna be a tough decision but I’d probably go for the more “like for like” JG replacement i.e JRoss
But if Pickett gets the nod - well good luck to him.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I'm not sure if coal fac vs distributor. More we lose a bit with defensive positioning but gain at extraction at the coalface. Jack Ross could be a big inclusion that helps us compete a bit better with GWS at their core game and that's winning clearances. Our scores from centre clearance this finals series have been very good (2 of our first 3 goals against Geelong were from centre clearances), so this would help with that. We lose his tackling and defensive positioning which JG is very very good at.