Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Bachar said a really interesting thing on 20m sprint times in his book.

he was running 3.2's and worried coming into the draft camp.

he went to Bhodan Babijczuk, who got him down to a brisk 2.8,

but heres the thing,

Bachar reckoned his speed over 20 didnt change,

he just got his start technique better.

the take home message for me is this;

there is no motion-triggered stopwatch on a footy field, so don't place too much weight on 20m times
I’m not very good at maths but by my napkin calculations.............
If Bachar went from 3.2 to 2.8 over 20m he definitely improved his speed.

Another player who was very concerned about his speed ( and more importantly so were the recruiters ) was one Nathan Foley. Went to Bohdan after being overlooked by the draft. Bohdan was surprised that Nathan tested very quick.
Bohdan taught Nathan to “switch on” and focus on taking off at high speed. The rest is history.
Hence my suggestion that Ross can be taught to fly. He has the wings. Just needs to be pushed from the nest.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
I’m not very good at maths but by my napkin calculations.............
If Bachar went from 3.2 to 2.8 over 20m he definitely improved his speed.

Another player who was very concerned about his speed ( and more importantly so we’re the recruiters ) was one Nathan Foley. Went to Bohdan after being overlooked by the draft. Bohdan was surprised that Nathan tested very quick.
Bohdan taught Nathan to “switch on” and focus on taking off at high speed. The rest is history.
Hence my suggestion that Ross can be taught to fly. He has the wings. Just needs to be pushed from the nest.

yeah thats what bachar explained.

hit the ground running basically.

the 20m sprint isnt ready-set-go,

you drive off and aim to be at full speed when you activate the 'go' sensor.

so my understanding is Bhodan teaches runners to take off with upward and forward motion together,

as opposed to coming up, then moving forward.

so it kind of explains to me why Bachar suggests his time got 15% faster over 20m, but he didnt.

I also believe that there are some people who Bhodan simply cant stop being slow.

he is really big on teaching running technique to minimise injury. getting the bio-mechanics right to spread the load.

Reactions: 1 user

tigermike

Tiger Superstar
Apr 6, 2014
Overated for me kicking a major issue I don't see what people see in him.
This foot injury was round 8 2019. Then he played only a few games last year. Has he fully recovered strength and confidence in his left foot?

Attachments

• J.Ross Rd8 2019.jpg
    J.Ross Rd8 2019.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 19
Reactions: 1 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
This foot injury was round 8 2019. Then he played only a few games last year. Has he fully recovered strength and confidence in his left foot?
As usual nothing came of incident Looking at vid replay seems Fyfe was leading with foot deliberately onto Ross ankle
but I guess it was accidental as it wasn’t one of our players doing it

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
yeah thats what bachar explained.

hit the ground running basically.

the 20m sprint isnt ready-set-go,

you drive off and aim to be at full speed when you activate the 'go' sensor.

so my understanding is Bhodan teaches runners to take off with upward and forward motion together,

as opposed to coming up, then moving forward.

so it kind of explains to me why Bachar suggests his time got 15% faster over 20m, but he didnt.

I also believe that there are some people who Bhodan simply cant stop being slow.

he is really big on teaching running technique to minimise injury. getting the bio-mechanics right to spread the load.
Jack Higgins comes to mind.
Started from a very low base so can only get so fast.
Bohdan has taught him running efficiency and improving agility through footwork. He’s actually able to run out games better than others because of his running technique efficiency. Uses the correct muscles for less fatigue.
Running fast is a whole range of physical variables and quite fascinating when you break it down. The most dramatic improvements peak at around 16 apparently but improvements can definitely be made well into your thirties

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Interesting take by some folks on Ross's skills. This was his scouting report in U18.

STRENGTHS: Inside/outside mix, aggression, ball winning, efficiency, speed
IMPROVEMENTS: Endurance, tackling
SUMMARY: Jack Ross is a player who has flown under the radar to put together a very impressive year amongst a raft of stars in the Oakleigh Chargers midfield. A TAC Cup mainstay, Ross has shown signs of an all-round midfield game with a good mix of aggressive ball winning, and outside class to deliver well by foot. Given he wins his fair share of contested ball, with an average of 5.4 clearances while kicking the ball long 28.7 per cent of the time, Ross’ disposal efficiency is highly impressive and a testament to his decision making when given time and space. That mix of class and aggression is rare, and puts him in good stead for making an impact at the next level with his 86.7kg frame. Given his power, Ross’ 20m sprint time of 2.95 seconds makes sense, but he could look to use that more when bursting from packs. Despite his aggressive approach, Ross can also improve on his tackling numbers, averaging just 2.4 as a midfielder who often finds himself in the clinches. As a power-based athlete, endurance is also something Ross should improve to become a more dominant midfielder and run out games with more than his average of 20.5 disposals. There is not much Ross can’t do as a midfielder though, and he looks like a ready-made prospect.

NAB League Boys​

SeasonTeamKHBDMCPUPTHOCLRI50R50GLGMKHDMHOTGDC
2017Oakleigh Chargers8816361120311018.08.016.03.00.02.00.061
2018Oakleigh Chargers10314925256109147311613797128.612.421.04.70.12.60.690
Total-111157268591151583316438107138.512.120.64.50.12.50.5151
Thanks for sending the Scouting Report TG. Always find these Reports really interesting, appreciate this.

I still dont see Jack as a good kick, his disp efficiency is a worry. But he does seem committed to the contest and not afraid of being at the coalface. Credit to him for that, some of us (myself incl) have that commitment to the contest as a real weakness for Naish, Chol, Egg.

Even with time and space, JR's disposial efficiency worries me. But fingers crossed, there's improvement with experience. I note the report says efficiency is a strength. Fact is though, he went at pick 43. Like all of us, I want him to be at least a B Grader and wish him success., but cant quite see it. Bigger concerns may just be the other midfielders/flankers in the 2nds - RCD 1st round pick, Naish (pick 34), Dow at pick 21.

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
I think he a good inside step and good evasiveness. Give him 6 games in the middle pleeease - then we will know
No sh!t! It can't be mentally easy being the sub. Tell him he's got a block of 3 games and let him prepare physically and mentally. We'll hopefully see the Ross of 2019 back out there. His debut games were some of the best I've seen.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Very valid point Brodders. The coach's need to re-look at what they're asking their players to do.

Problem is the teams that run the hardest win all other things being equal. So coaches will be reluctant to change that game plan - fitness and distance run per game is part of a winning formula.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
It looks to me like we are playing Ross out of position. He’s an inside midfielder and when we play him there he finds the ball and plenty of it. Instead we’ve been trying him in defense or on a wing or worst of all as the sub and his performances suffer accordingly. Every time he goes back to the VFL he puts in a BOG or near BOG performances and shows he is a level above. He just needs an extended run in his preferred position and I think we’ll see the type of form he showed in his first year again.

It’s also worth remembering that Ross is not even 21 yet and only in his third year. I can remember similar questions around Bolton at the same stage of his career and look at him now.
I guess he is being played out of position if sub is the position you are referring to. Has played so little footy of late. Hopefully he is rewarded for his sacrifice by getting a good run of games.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
In the VFL game against the Zebras I thought the TV coverage was kindest to Ross of all our players. IMO he looked our most accomplished mid at the level below. On TV. Well ahead of Martyn and IMO more telling than RCD.

But I'm looking for something new happening with Ross. And not seeing much of that.

I think Ross may have a footy epiphany in the next two years. Maybe sooner. And that may be a switch to a more brutal or defensive role. Or. He may learn to make quick incisions by hand. None of that is happening yet. He could clean up his kicking but that's the least we could expect.

I'm hopeful. Of changes.

Ricemagic

Tiger Superstar
Feb 8, 2021
No sh!t! It can't be mentally easy being the sub. Tell him he's got a block of 3 games and let him prepare physically and mentally. We'll hopefully see the Ross of 2019 back out there. His debut games were some of the best I've seen.

An ex-boss said this to me the other day -

"I remember talking to Mark Coughlan 20 years ago when he was starting out and dominating games at Coburg. Back then they didn't rotate players as much as today and he'd come off the bench to play 3-4 mins at the end of the quarter.

He said it was impossible to get the pace of the game, the way the team and the opposition were playing as well, as every game was different to adjust too from the one before with the pace, the different match-ups and game style, and just playing that couple of minutes a quarter.

It wasn't until he got an extended run of 4-5 games in the seniors that he could get the pace and intensity.

It's only got quicker since the 90's so U can't judge them after 2-3 games as subs or 30-40 minutes game time, they need an extended run in the seniors and solid long minutes - 65+ minutes a game."

So yeah give 'em a month and let's find out where they're at.

Reactions: 4 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
I think our club know what they are doing and take their time with the kids easing them into games and lengthening their game time over a period of time.

Balta Bolton and Baker all only played min game time in their 1st years of getting consistent games

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Can’t really understand the negativity around Ross. He looked really promising in his early games and hasn’t really had a run at it since.
I’m looking forward to seeing him get a full game

Reactions: 3 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think he can play a bit but sometimes get the feeling how he likes to play . steady and measured , hasn’t really gelled with how we like to play , fast and chaotic

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
Good game by Jack. Moved to defensive winger in 2nd half and not much got past him. He controlled his side of the ground. Coaches would be rapt with that. He ain’t going anywhere

hutstar

Tiger Superstar
Dec 17, 2002
Florida
Good game by Jack. Moved to defensive winger in 2nd half and not much got past him. He controlled his side of the ground. Coaches would be rapt with that. He ain’t going anywhere
I've not been a huge fan but I liked some of it tonight. Good for him.