Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Ross is just building his game
Brick on Brick

Never going to be a Dusty / Cotchin / Bolton type

But certainly can be the Ollie Wines type big bodied mid that will add grunt

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
RCD pole vaulted jRoss in the inside mid pecking order IMO

Reactions: 4 users

nafe brown

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 22, 2014
Just need to keep playing him....1 game in 1 game out doesn't help he needs consistency to build his game.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
Can’t really understand the negativity around Ross. He looked really promising in his early games and hasn’t really had a run at it since.
I’m looking forward to seeing him get a full game

I’d put it this way: Jack Ross looks promising if you think Tom Mitchell is impressive.

Rfc4Ever

Tiger Legend
Oct 5, 2007
Got better as the game went on.
Want to see more but think RCD will get a spot ahead of him at this stage

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I’d put it this way: Jack Ross looks promising if you think Tom Mitchell is impressive.
No idea what that means.

Tom Mitchell is an accumulator and a really good one. If Jack Ross turns out as good as Mitchell we will all be happy.

Have a look at the replay of his first game against Port in Adelaide and then let me know if you think he can play or not. His development has been stuttering since those early games but my comment was really about premature negativity which many suffer from on this site.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
No idea what that means.

Tom Mitchell is an accumulator and a really good one. If Jack Ross turns out as good as Mitchell we will all be happy.

Have a look at the replay of his first game against Port in Adelaide and then let me know if you think he can play or not. His development has been stuttering since those early games but my comment was really about premature negativity which many suffer from on this site.
Yep Mitchell is a damn good player. You don't get as much bang per disposal as say a Dusty but I can't imagine any team not wanting Mitchell in their side.

Ripplestick

Tiger Champion
Jan 18, 2007
I think Ross was moved to the wing because he doesn't have that cat like reflex and quick first few steps to help with the clearance. A bit like Caddy but not that slow off the mark.

Everyone else in the centre tonight has got that quick burst or excellent evasiveness.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
Good game by Jack. Moved to defensive winger in 2nd half and not much got past him. He controlled his side of the ground. Coaches would be rapt with that. He ain’t going anywhere
I'm not a big believer in his talent, but agree with you Go29. He did well pretty well in that role, was desperate and aggressive running to the ball form the wing/HB.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
His long kicking and ability to cover territory particularly the second half was pretty good last night. Still only 20 years and 7 months old which makes him younger than RCD. Worth persisting with.

Reactions: 2 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
He appeared to be on Treloar at one stage in the 2nd qtr and was getting a lesson in power running.

I'm not convinced he's gonna make it, nothing about his play stands out. You bring Martin/Prestia/Vlas back in for 2nd half of year and Ross isn't playing.

Longer term you add Soldo/Stack and he's a bit down the pecking order.

He is good as depth but you would think he would seek opportunities elsewhere if he can't get a regular gig in 2021. And there's no looming retirements in 2022 that would see him getting a regular game.

123cups

Tiger Champion
May 1, 2016
No idea what that means.

I mean, he’s the type of player who is more statistically impressive than impactful, as opposed to say, Shane Edwards with 20 touches. His kicking is almost exclusively down the line to a pack or short and sideways, so if he gets it 40 times, it‘s more of the same.

In his early games, I think people felt excited at seeing a new kid’s name leading the possession tally. They weren’t excited about impressive pieces of play, it was just the numbers, and just for 1 game.

Every game is similar to those early games, but without the afterglow of thinking he’s a ball magnet future star.

Similar observations haven’t stopped Tom Mitchell from winning a Brownlow though.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Vanilla accumulator.

Could we get a better replacement? Yes
Is he losing us games being out on the park? No
Do I think he has improvement in him - yes, but probably only a little. He's a much better version of Matt Arnot.