Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Not sure that he is much good but deserves a few full games to prove one way or the other.

Reactions: 1 users

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
In the quarter and a bit he was on, he got a fair chunk of the ball. Certainly more than some of the bigger named players in our team. I think we just got to give him a chance to get into the game.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
9 touches in a quarter & a half. I actually thought he had a decent impact. Full game next week.

I think injury will dictate it.

absolutely murdered a couple of kicks early, but tough gig playing once a month.

Reactions: 3 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
This bloke appears to have peaked in his first five games. I’ve been a fan but he hasn’t played anywhere near that level after his foot injury. His kicking is atrocious at the moment.

That said this *smile* sub rule is killing him. I’m quite annoyed that Dimma keeps picking him as the sub. The kid is not getting a fair crack at it. I’d like to see him get a few games in the team to see if he can get back that early 2019 form. Reckon that’s only fair.

The club is not handling him well at the moment.

Reactions: 7 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The sub rule is killing some player's careers. It has to go.

If they want to have an extra player on the bench so be it, I'll agree with Brad Scott for once - if the sub is a thing it should just be an extra player on the bench.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The sub rule is killing some player's careers. It has to go.

If they want to have an extra player on the bench so be it, I'll agree with Brad Scott for once - if the sub is a thing it should just be an extra player on the bench.

DS
Agree totally David. This medical sub is *smile* garbage. Typical AFL knee jerk reaction. Players get injured; clubs just need to deal with it.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Agree totally David. This medical sub is *smile* garbage. Typical AFL knee jerk reaction. Players get injured; clubs just need to deal with it.

The "Clarko rule". Once more the AFL knobs have a knee jerk reaction to a sook from Clarkson. They need to stop listening to him

Reactions: 1 users

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
It looks to me like we are playing Ross out of position. He’s an inside midfielder and when we play him there he finds the ball and plenty of it. Instead we’ve been trying him in defense or on a wing or worst of all as the sub and his performances suffer accordingly. Every time he goes back to the VFL he puts in a BOG or near BOG performances and shows he is a level above. He just needs an extended run in his preferred position and I think we’ll see the type of form he showed in his first year again.

It’s also worth remembering that Ross is not even 21 yet and only in his third year. I can remember similar questions around Bolton at the same stage of his career and look at him now.

Reactions: 6 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
I've been on the record as not being a big fan, but I think with the injuries there's an opportunity for him over the next couple of weeks.

Hope he grabs it.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He needs continuity in his football.

Don’t blame the sub-rule. Blame the coaches. He has been let down by them. It’s Round 6 and he has barely played a full game of football. Poor management.

Reactions: 4 users

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
He needs continuity in his football.

Don’t blame the sub-rule. Blame the coaches. He has been let down by them. It’s Round 6 and he has barely played a full game of football. Poor management.

Yeah I agree with that actually. Regardless of whether he's good enough or not, it certainly hasn't helped constantly being the sub and waiting for an injury. Rotate the subs, or just give it to Caddy.

Bill Haverchuck

Tiger Superstar
Jun 27, 2011
Going into the season we knew cotch turned 31 and would likely decline , also prestia 29 and given his injury history always a doubt..
Getting games whenever posible into him and other young midfielders should have been a very high priority yet they drop him after the port game , a disgrace...
And don't get me started on aarts getting 6 games , 6 games that should have been put into younger players..

Reactions: 3 users

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
He should have kicked the goal instead of passing. Seems to lack confidence, but that's proboably lack of footy.

May have been following team rules - put the ball to a player in a better position but he seemed to miss kick it - looks unreal when it comes off as it did with the Dees during that game.

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
This bloke appears to have peaked in his first five games. I’ve been a fan but he hasn’t played anywhere near that level after his foot injury. His kicking is atrocious at the moment.

That said this *smile* sub rule is killing him. I’m quite annoyed that Dimma keeps picking him as the sub. The kid is not getting a fair crack at it. I’d like to see him get a few games in the team to see if he can get back that early 2019 form. Reckon that’s only fair.

The club is not handling him well at the moment.
I have written for a little while now about our depth/kids. Been criticised on here a little for my less than optimistic view of the quality of our kids. We have them, (young players) but my view is that they arent that great. Have said it before, its just what happens when you finish high on the ladder, you dont get access to the top 15 players each year. Then your kids are up against the other team's kids who are also better given they've had lower picks.

That said, I like Jack Ross' commitment to the contest but his kicking is pretty bad. Missed almost all his targets last night; he was part of the group that Damien talked about in his presser - their perceived pressure felt was higher than the actual pressure/lack of calmness in thinking led to shocking use of the ball after Qtr time. The only great kick I can ever remember from Ross is that kick to Lynch against Port in his debut game I think it was?

However, even though I still dont rate his disposal at all and cant see him as an A, or B grade mid, I actually do agree with you Ridley, I dont like the way the club is handling him. Lets hope - win or loss - he plays 4 games straight at least in the middle.

This also wont be a popular view, but think its time to change the forward mix regardless of 'our system'. Caddy as a 3rd tall yesterday, strong in body, would have provided more than Daniel.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It looks to me like we are playing Ross out of position. He’s an inside midfielder and when we play him there he finds the ball and plenty of it. Instead we’ve been trying him in defense or on a wing or worst of all as the sub and his performances suffer accordingly. Every time he goes back to the VFL he puts in a BOG or near BOG performances and shows he is a level above. He just needs an extended run in his preferred position and I think we’ll see the type of form he showed in his first year again.

It’s also worth remembering that Ross is not even 21 yet and only in his third year. I can remember similar questions around Bolton at the same stage of his career and look at him now.

Yep, Prestia out, put Ross in his role for a few weeks and see how he goes.

DS

Reactions: 4 users