Jack Ross | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jack Ross

The_Celebrant

Tiger Superstar
Aug 18, 2018
malemelbournecelebrant.net.au
He's almost a clone of Graham for me. Both good additions to the midfield, but aren't the x-factor that you need to win premierships ... having 2 strong defensive mids is good for us
I agree. They may not win you the flag, but, without these types playing consistently, you don't even make finals. When the oppo midfield starts to dominate, we need them to be really good defensively at centre bounces, forcing a secondary stoppage. As soon as that happens, 6-6-6 is out the window and we can bring up extras to create more congestion until we get the play on our terms.

Reactions: 6 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I agree. They may not win you the flag, but, without these types playing consistently, you don't even make finals. When the oppo midfield starts to dominate, we need them to be really good defensively at centre bounces, forcing a secondary stoppage. As soon as that happens, 6-6-6 is out the window and we can bring up extras to create more congestion until we get the play on our terms.

I remember dudes on here writing off Kane Lambert early days, triple premiership player and "Mr September". Blue collar effort and grunt is important. Jack G runs hard, tackles, kicks goals. He's also pretty handy technically.

Ross will be a big part of our midfield in the next few years.

Reactions: 10 users

Bourke'sFifthSymphony

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 15, 2021
RFC - Back to Back Dynasties
Came of age on Sunday.
A superb performance.
Remember the look of hurt on his face during the 2019 Grand Final parade.
The longing is there.
Obviously, overshadowed that year by Marlion's late inclusion.
However, resilience is everything.
We are a resilient team.

Reactions: 1 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Came of age on Sunday.
A superb performance.
The longing is there.
We are a resilient team.
What the??????

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005
nope. takes forever to decide his next action
Ross was a third round pick for a reason, he isn't perfect by any means and has flaws in his game that need refining. However he is giving it everything he has got and is definitely improving so I don't think we can ask much more at this stage of his development.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users

angle ankle

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 6, 2020
Came of age on Sunday.
A superb performance.
The longing is there.
We are a resilient team.
crikey

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
and yep. tho that is my concern. is 2 too many?

Not really. 6 starting mids in our 22. In our prime we had 2 defensive (Cotch / Graham), 2 runners (Prestia and Lambert) and we had 2 attacking / dynamic players (Edwards / Dusty). Bolton played, but played as a small forward in the premiership era.

I would say going forwards over the next 2 years, we have 2 defensive (Graham / Ross), 2 / 3 runners (Prestia, Short, Baker) and 2 attacking (assuming we can keep Dusty in the mid but not sure this is possible) in Dusty and Bolton. I think we need 1 more of the attacking options and that to me seems to be Taranto as the best potentially available option. Age bracket would be perfect with the rest of the group. The Sonz will come into 1 of these roles too at some point.

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
Ross was a third round pick for a reason, he isn't perfect by any means and has flaws in his game that need refining. However he is giving it everything he has got and is definitely improving so I don't think we can ask much more at this stage of his development.

This is a valid point but it does not take away the problem -

A premiership side should not be slotting in a limited footballer in its first tier clearance rotations.

Jack Ross deserves a spot on the list on current output, but should only be getting 7-8 games a season as midfield depth. If he's still in the mix come September that puts us on the back foot if we expect to win four games in a row against quality opposition.

Reactions: 1 user

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia

A premiership side should not be slotting in a limited footballer in its first tier clearance rotations.

Jack Ross deserves a spot on the list on current output, but should only be getting 7-8 games a season as midfield depth. If he's still in the mix come September that puts us on the back foot if we expect to win four games in a row against quality opposition.
All footballers are limited in some way Carter. Ross is showing very good signs and has improved even since the start of the season. Deserves a shot in and under which is his natural position and is showing very good signs for a young player.

Reactions: 5 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Champion
Aug 20, 2005
Did a couple of really nice things on the weekend if I recall correctly. Had it in the middle of the ground and perfectly hit up a lead to Riewoldt. Absorbed tackle pressure and got arms free i50 which also led to a goal. Seems to be playing a bit more within limitations with kicking and looking to absorb pressure and release by hand when inside.

He is never going to be a superstar but at 21 can certainly keep developing endurance strength and decision making.

Reactions: 5 users

67 special

Tiger Matchwinner
May 12, 2009
Did a couple of really nice things on the weekend if I recall correctly. Had it in the middle of the ground and perfectly hit up a lead to Riewoldt. Absorbed tackle pressure and got arms free i50 which also led to a goal. Seems to be playing a bit more within limitations with kicking and looking to absorb pressure and release by hand when inside.

He is never going to be a superstar but at 21 can certainly keep developing endurance strength and decision making.
The ability to get the ball, absorb the tackle pressure, get his arms free and dish it off - not something we’ve seen much of from our mids - and he’s started doing it more lately. He’s also shown he can deliver the ball well. He’s got a long way to go but he has improved this year and with more games he should continue to improve. He works hard and seems pretty robust. I’m changing my thinking about Jack.

Reactions: 3 users

Tortured Tiger

Junior Development - The Tigers key to success !!
Jan 24, 2005

Due to salary caps and the draft, I think you will find most premiership teams do in fact have limited footballers in their ranks. Look at Melbourne, I wouldn't say Neal-Bullen, Spargo and Sparrow are super stars but like Ross they have a crack and play their roles. If he keeps improving as he is and is left to develop in the role he plays best, I would expect him to be pretty competent in 12 months time. We have to remember he has still played under 10 games as an inside midfielder at the top level.

Reactions: 2 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014

No surprise a young fella with only a few games under his belt will appear slow and uncertain.
At 40 games his decision making is improving. As he gets more games in the guts he,ll show more footy smarts.
Tracking upwards

Reactions: 4 users