Jake King | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake King

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
Apparently denied a farewell lap on Grand Final day by the AFL due to an arbitrary qualification of 150 games.
Eddie McGuire said he'd piggy back him around himself.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
spook said:
Eddie McGuire said he'd piggy back him around himself.
Caught a few of Jakeys radio interviews after he'd announced his retirement. I know we all love to bag the Purple Eddiehead from Colonwood, but Jake went out of his way to thank Eddie for behind the scenes assistance over certain issues.
Almost felt kindly towards Eddiehead for all of about five seconds, then had to go have a long hot soapy shower to cleanse my soul.

waiting since 80

simply The Boss!
Aug 9, 2009
avondale heights
TigerMasochist said:
Caught a few of Jakeys radio interviews after he'd announced his retirement. I know we all love to bag the Purple Eddiehead from Colonwood, but Jake went out of his way to thank Eddie for behind the scenes assistance over certain issues.
Almost felt kindly towards Eddiehead for all of about five seconds, then had to go have a long hot soapy shower to cleanse my soul.

Yep heard that the other morn on triple m, agree was quite sincere in his gratitude towards Ed.

rimau35

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 26, 2010
SE QLD
I've been an open criticiser of Jake but discussions with people in the know have made me change my mind.

Jake needs to be part of the future of Tigerland.

Jake understands where the Tigers have no idea.

Teamwork, respect, not peeing in each other pockets, working hard for the team and each other, recognising upcoming talent and helping them to develop, rather than selfishly keep your place in the side.

Lets hope Richmond wakes up and appoints him as an assistant coach in 2015.

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
rimau35 said:
I've been an open criticiser of Jake but discussions with people in the know have made me change my mind.

Teamwork, respect, not peeing in each other pockets, working hard for the team and each other, recognising upcoming talent and helping them to develop, rather than selfishly keep your place in the side.

Interesting insight. I would love Jake to be involved in some way. Even if it's part time in the VFL.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
rimau35 said:
Part time in the VFL is not where he belongs.

Assistant coach at Tigerland as a minimum.
Agree with your thoughts on Jakey rimau, no inside, just got a gut feeling it's not gunna happen though. Jake's one bloke I would love to see in a development role with the youngsters. He's definitely not everyone's cup of sweet n milky tea as the AFL system approves of, but for mine he carries plenty of old school integrity n a healthy dose of how the real world outside of AFL footy operates.

rimau35

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 26, 2010
SE QLD
Unbeknown to me at the time, Jake stood up to the selfish players at Richmond early in 2014 and told them to pull their heads in.

He then told the coach to cut the crap and get back to TEAM footy.

It took half a season for some of that to sink in and look at what happened. Finals, again.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
rimau35 said:
Unbeknown to me at the time, Jake stood up to the selfish players at Richmond early in 2014 and told them to pull their heads in.

He then told the coach to cut the crap and get back to TEAM footy.

It took half a season for some of that to sink in and look at what happened. Finals, again.

That's magic and real leadership. Yes men do nothing for a football club. Very pleased to hear that and glad Jake had the balls to do it, hope they utilise those skills and attributes he has again.

toby64

Tiger Champion
Mar 17, 2014
shawry said:
That's magic and real leadership. Yes men do nothing for a football club. Very pleased to hear that and glad Jake had the balls to do it, hope they utilise those skills and attributes he has again.

He will be missed. Not sure many others at the club would have the balls to do what he did, nor be respected for doing it.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
rimau35 said:

Wow, he has gone from someone who ALWAYS puts himself before team to a guru who showed the club to a team focus, and has to be part of our future.

Amazing transformation in the space of a season.

Excuse me if I am sceptical about either extreme. The issue for me is that I am not sure I want an Assistant Coach hanging around with Toby Mitchell.

TigerMasochist

Jul 13, 2003
Sintiger said:
The issue for me is that I am not sure I want an Assistant Coach hanging around with Toby Mitchell.
Experienced senior player, guiding and mentoring the younger kids for years, so what's different now?

Were plenty happy to have a drug addicted Cuz mentoring n guiding younger players when he was straight enough to think properly.

Every club has nefarious characters n associates hovering around in some shape or form, same as public / private companies n politicians. Hell! Even PRE has contributors with nefarious n shady associations. If you're expecting n insisting on a pure n shiny world around you, you're going to be bitterly disappointed, Sinnerman.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Whether or not it's an official role I think Jake will be involved at Tigerland in some capacity next year, he may even do it with one of his best friends at the club who also retired this year in Daniel Jackson. What an odd couple they make, but they are very close.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
TigerMasochist said:
Experienced senior player, guiding and mentoring the younger kids for years, so what's different now?

Were plenty happy to have a drug addicted Cuz mentoring n guiding younger players when he was straight enough to think properly.

Every club has nefarious characters n associates hovering around in some shape or form, same as public / private companies n politicians. Hell! Even PRE has contributors with nefarious n shady associations. If you're expecting n insisting on a pure n shiny world around you, you're going to be bitterly disappointed, Sinnerman.
I didn't say it should count him out TM just that I am not sure. I think coaches have to show leadership and I am in two minds about the whole Toby Mitchell thing to be honest.

If he is to be a coach then it needs to be addressed. At the very least the same rules that applied to him as a player should apply as a coach in terms of who should be around the club.

It was interesting that Kingy seemed to be around the group and in the rooms even after he announced his retirement and he may well have a role . Just not sure about it.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Sintiger said:
Wow, he has gone from someone who ALWAYS puts himself before team to a guru who showed the club to a team focus, and has to be part of our future.

Amazing transformation in the space of a season.

Excuse me if I am sceptical about either extreme. The issue for me is that I am not sure I want an Assistant Coach hanging around with Toby Mitchell.

Hey? Jake always, always put the team first. He banged his body up and played injured to the point where he had to retire for the team. There isn't a tiger in history who would have done more than Jake for the tigers. He is universally loved and admired at the club because of this.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Jason King said:
Hey? Jake always, always put the team first. He banged his body up and played injured to the point where he had to retire for the team. There isn't a tiger in history who would have done more than Jake for the tigers. He is universally loved and admired at the club because of this.
I was responding to Rimau JK who posted earlier in the year that Jake always puts himself first and now has turned 180 degrees.