Jake King | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Jake King

DragicevicFan said:
A shocker tonight. Towelled by Jones then Grant, and barely took a ball cleanly all night.

The good thing about playing at Richmond is by having a go and playing a few good games, you soon become very popular amongst the fans.

But beware Jake, we can turn quickly.
Quicker than some players

Yeah got beat today but keeps trying. Wallace though got out coached here....Laidley isolated him in the square constantly against good marks, i.e. Grant. This was playing into North's hands and we lost his attacking play

RFCTiger said:
Yeah got beat today but keeps trying. Wallace though got out coached here....Laidley isolated him in the square constantly against good marks, i.e. Grant. This was playing into North's hands and we lost his attacking play
Agree

Jake had a shocker tonight no doubt about it but poor coaching leaving him deep one out on smarter opponents and lack of support from team mates just added to his dismal day.

jb03 said:
Must have had a dozen kicked on him today. Too much press.

Happens every time a player has an article written on him in the paper. Had one to forget, but the pressure on the Kangas bringing the ball into their forward 50 was non existant.

Poor match ups by Wallace coupled by a average night and lets give some credit to Laidley he dragged King back to the square at every chance and took away Kings strengths. Although I will say that he continued to give his all. Was not helped out by Wallace, how he did not go and stand Campbell is beyond me. That would counter attacked North Melbourne's team balance becuase they don't want Campbell causing the crumbs they want him attacking the crumbs.

But get used to it becuase after tonight everyone will be doing it to Jake, dragging him back to the square one out. It's up to Wallace to have the ability to move him into spots that work to Kings strengths.

SCOOP said:
Poor match ups by Wallace coupled by a average night and lets give some credit to Laidley he dragged King back to the square at every chance and took away Kings strengths. Although I will say that he continued to give his all. Was not helped out by Wallace, how he did not go and stand Campbell is beyond me. That would counter attacked North Melbourne's team balance becuase they don't want Campbell causing the crumbs they want him attacking the crumbs.

But get used to it becuase after tonight everyone will be doing it to Jake, dragging him back to the square one out. It's up to Wallace to have the ability to move him into spots that work to Kings strengths.
For his sake i hope Walace is smart enough!

The 'Meercat' call was a good one this week Scooper. Looked like poor Jakey wanted to scamper down a hole. ;D
It was an absolute shocker but at least he kept trying.
One to forget.

Nice work by Laidley to isolate him. To overcome this I thought a run in the middle would have been worth a go, but maybe Wallace wanted him to have his tyres deflated a bit.

Tiger74 said:
Nice work by Laidley to isolate him. To overcome this I thought a run in the middle would have been worth a go, but maybe Wallace wanted him to have his tyres deflated a bit.

This was the matchwinning move by Laidley-attack through King's opponent every time. The height mismatch with Jones was a gift. Wallace will have to re-invent King as a midfielder or small forward if he wants to keep playing him. If the defensive matchup is wrong, King will be in trouble.

Personally, I would give him tagging duties on midfielder/small forwards, starting with Leon Davis this weekend. If Wallace is not careful and allows a match-up like Didak or Scott Burns, King will struggle.

To be fair though not every opponent King will be up against will be as good in the air as Jones and Grant. Betts certainly isn't, Leon Davis isn't aside from the occasional spectacular mark he can pull off. I say let Kingy work off his frustration on neon leon physically.

Its a matter of being a bit smarter about Kingy's limitations.

Tiger74 said:

Or a crack in the forward pocket where there were always scraps on offer from the bomb it long to Richo gameplan where North just kept running the ball out in easy fashion, Kingy would have made a strong contest for these crumbs and applied forward pressure as well.

At least he battles hard. Would back him to respond as unlike some, he has pride in his performance.

Punxsutawney Phil said:
At least he battles hard. Would back him to respond as unlike some, he has pride in his performance.
Yeah,King is entitled to one stinky game.He's played a fair few good ones in row. He should bounce back.

BrisTiger24 said:
Or a crack in the forward pocket where there were always scraps on offer from the bomb it long to Richo gameplan where North just kept running the ball out in easy fashion, Kingy would have made a strong contest for these crumbs and applied forward pressure as well.

Wallace waited until the last quarter to switch him to attack and he made an immediate impact.
Jake will keep working at it but Wallace should have switched him out earlier from defence when it he was clearly caught in a nightmare matchup.

Run with Harvey on the ball, throw him forward... Just get him out of defence Terry!