John Butcher (video highlights) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

John Butcher (video highlights)

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
Some highlight footage of John Butcher.
Maybe of some interest to those that don't know too much about him.
(tv experts excepted) ;D
Seems to be some criticism on his kicking, not the purest style, but they seem to find their way in. Good hands. Good frame.

link http://www.afldraftinfo.com/2009/01/john-butcher-gippsland-powervic-country.html

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
There's only one problem with highlights packages..................................... they don't show the crap.
Looks like a big rawboned laconic country footballer, probably because he is ;D
What's the general goal kicking average for full forwards?
If it's around 60 to 65% accuracy then all we need is Butchers accuracy average to compare with the AFL average. If he's in the accepted range for full forwards then there's no problem, it's not going to change worth worrying about.
If it's under the accepted range then he's going to need a truckfull of possessions per game to provide an effective tally and should perhaps be bypassed.
Just out of curiosity, what would Buddy's accuracy percentage be? He generally gets enough footy to kick a score no matter how many he misses.

lisamaree

Tiger Rookie
Jun 19, 2004
What impressed me was his hands below his knees. Highlight clips are just that thou!

keepa lids onit

Medal number 1, 2 & 3
May 13, 2005
seems pretty athletic. throws himself around. has that ability look about him, i dont know, silvagni type look, the way he threw himself around with that look on his face.....??? reminded me of sos for some reason....

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
reminded me of vickers
butcher, vickery and riewoldt in the fwd line gives us some contested marking power, and you dont need to hit em lace out on the chest you just need to get it inside 50 and let them go for it

add nahas and another crumber and the smarts of morton and we have 1 really potent fwd line

backline of thursty, moore, rance, mcguane, post, tambling aint so bad either

davidrodan

Cursed?
Oct 25, 2005
Tango said:
reminded me of vickers
butcher, vickery and riewoldt in the fwd line gives us some contested marking power, and you dont need to hit em lace out on the chest you just need to get it inside 50 and let them go for it

add nahas and another crumber and the smarts of morton and we have 1 really potent fwd line

backline of thursty, moore, rance, mcguane, post, tambling aint so bad either

Is great to have contested marks but I think it would be better to compliment Riewoldt, Vickery, Post with someone that is good on the lead

Then the mids can have options

Rod

Tiger Superstar
Aug 3, 2003
Bruswick West
davidrodan said:
Is great to have contested marks but I think it would be better to compliment Riewoldt, Vickery, Post with someone that is good on the lead

I would argue that Riewoldt and Morton are better on the lead than a pack situation.....

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
all of morton, riewoldt and nahas can lead

you dont need to lead to have options

Option A: top of the square to Butcher
Option B: 30 mtrs out from directly in front to Vickery
Option C: 50 mtrs out directly in front to Riewoldt
Option D: to the loose leading fwd remaining from nahas, morton or XXX

that becomes the game plan and everyone knows it and follows it

peggles

Tiger Matchwinner
Jul 4, 2005
davidrodan said:

to me, vickery doesn't need to be and wont' be a regular feature in the forwardline, just pinch hitting, butcher will be great to have along with riewoldt, post, morton, nahas. it's also always easier to get a medium forward with a quick lead who can kick goals, always a few of those around in TAC that would'nt require a super high pick.

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006
He is very raw still and has to grow into his body. A bit like Richo early days always falling over and prancing around like a young colt.

However when he fills out and with his strong hands he will be a very dangerous full forward. Very similar look to Vickery with good mobility and good below his knee's. Stronger overhead than Tyrone but a little shakier kicking for goal.

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
A couple of questions for those with a good eye for a players technique...

Can Butcher improve his kicking for goal? How would you rate his kicking technique at the moment out of 10?

Obviously good development teams will assist draftees but some players have horrendous or little chance of improving their technique, other's have other issues that can be greatly improved. Whats Butcher's deal? His kicking at goal worries me a little.

Mr Magic

The Centre of Perfection
Dec 7, 2006
Kurt Tippett was certainly no better kick for goal than Butcher at the same age. Now he is very sound despite not having a natural technique.

Depends on attitude and scope for improvement. Very difficult to predict

Dyer Disciple

Tiger Legend
Oct 1, 2007
Mr Magic said:
Kurt Tippett was certainly no better kick for goal than Butcher at the same age. Now he is very sound despite not having a natural technique.

Depends on attitude and scope for improvement. Very difficult to predict

Thanks.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
BrisTiger24 said:
Butcher is converting at 62% in the TAC Cup this year. Not Tony Lockett but not shabby either.

Which is within the average range so maybe he is worth it. With all this talk about him I'd actually be surprised if Melbourne don't pick him up now.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
So at the moment it looks like Tengrove or Butcher if we stayed pick 4 & obviously depending on who Melb take at 2