John Butcher (video highlights) | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

John Butcher (video highlights)

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
Just a bump here. What are people who have seen Butcher live have to say about his field kicking? Does he still have that 'horrible ball drop' around the ground or...?

GoTigers84

Tiger Rookie
Aug 19, 2008
2009 U18 Championship highlights reel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20KXJa1w7N0

A very confident set shot for my two cents worth... Always kicks through the ball and very composed on the set shot - just goes back, doesnt think about it, runs in and a big, strong kick!

Tango

Tiger Champion
Oct 6, 2004
Macau
if u want a KPP fwd who takes a contested mark, works hard and kicks over 50m - Butchers the man IMO

Barnzy

What about me?
Mar 6, 2009
GoTigers84 said:
2009 U18 Championship highlights reel...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20KXJa1w7N0

A very confident set shot for my two cents worth... Always kicks through the ball and very composed on the set shot - just goes back, doesnt think about it, runs in and a big, strong kick!

I know it's stupid to judge off that but geez I hope that's not the best highlights they can come up with, just as bad as his other youtube video. He didn't take a mark in that video, got a fair few free's though. Kicking looks better than people make it out to be. Panos looks much better in his video, great pair of hands and great kick and I also saw his game on fox sports, will be a player.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Butcher just gives the thing a whack really. I've seen TAC video where he takes a couple of sensational marks. I hope he has a leap. Remember he was supposed to be carrying niggles and a hand problem at the champs this year. I think he ticks a lot of boxes. I won't be worried if we pick him, IF we can still get a good mid second pick.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Barnzy said:
I know it's stupid to judge off that but geez I hope that's not the best highlights they can come up with, just as bad as his other youtube video. He didn't take a mark in that video, got a fair few free's though. Kicking looks better than people make it out to be. Panos looks much better in his video, great pair of hands and great kick and I also saw his game on fox sports, will be a player.

Yeah they didn't show much, he can do a lot better than what was shown.

wayne

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2007
Traralgon
Barnzy said:
Just a bump here. What are people who have seen Butcher live have to say about his field kicking? Does he still have that 'horrible ball drop' around the ground or...?

Didn't see the game but saw this on Big Footy about yesterdays grand final between Maffra and Traralgon.

Unbelievable finish to a game! As a neutral I wasnt fussed who won either way, but Maffra should have won that game by 6 goals so the right result came thru at the end. Butcher, what do you say, should have won game off own boot, but nearly lost them the game, first time seeing him and very impressed. Dont know who he was but #7 from Maffra was a standout for me in second half.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showpost.php?p=15779946&postcount=179

For the record, Maffra kicked 7.27.69

jimbob

Tiger Superstar
Jul 20, 2008
Traralgon
I went & watched the game yesterday between Maffra & Traralgon. Great finish with a goal after the siren. Butcher......tall....mobile...moves well on a lead & marks well... also runs on after disposing of the ball to make position. Liked that. A lot of talk about him in the crowd due to the expectations in the draft.However, did not like his kicking yesterday. Drops the ball too far from hand to boot. He could quite easily have dominated the game but didn't due to his poor conversion rate. Kicked one goal & I would estimate about 6-7 behinds. He doesn't have an overly childish kicking action like say an Andrew Dunkley but his action needs work. Had he kicked 7 goals one - then his ball drop wouldn't have stood out but it appears a flaw at present. Ordinarily that wouldn't bother me too much except we have proven time & again that if they lack in a skill department....we are unable to fix it when they get to Richmond. Apart from all that he showed a fair bit yesterday for a kid.

mtench

Tiger Champion
May 9, 2007
WINCHELSEA
jimbob said:
I went & watched the game yesterday between Maffra & Traralgon. Great finish with a goal after the siren. Butcher......tall....mobile...moves well on a lead & marks well... also runs on after disposing of the ball to make position. Liked that. A lot of talk about him in the crowd due to the expectations in the draft.However, did not like his kicking yesterday. Drops the ball too far from hand to boot. He could quite easily have dominated the game but didn't due to his poor conversion rate. Kicked one goal & I would estimate about 6-7 behinds. He doesn't have an overly childish kicking action like say an Andrew Dunkley but his action needs work. Had he kicked 7 goals one - then his ball drop wouldn't have stood out but it appears a flaw at present. Ordinarily that wouldn't bother me too much except we have proven time & again that if they lack in a skill department....we are unable to fix it when they get to Richmond. Apart from all that he showed a fair bit yesterday for a kid.
1 goal 6 or 7!! NO THANKS

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Butcher the butcher. Such a nice mark and such a woeful kick. Why wouldn't it be the team rule that he not be allowed to kick it and ensure someone run past for the handball?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I wonder if he can reinvent himself as a ruckman?

So hard to believe he was a top 10 pick with that woeful kick.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
Didn't he kick 6 goals from 6 kicks in his second game and then 4 goals in his third?

Then nothing.

Tigertool

Tiger Legend
Mar 10, 2008
He's actually kicked 35.14 in his AFL career so far from 26 games.

That is actually really surprising and impressive.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Tigertool said:

That's actually not bad. The thing is he doesn't get much of it. So when he has a quiet day, he disappears.

pessimistic_

Tiger Superstar
Apr 30, 2005
Tigertool said:

What about, if u include the ones that do not make the distance or miss the behinds?

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
had to feel for the guy on the weekend. He was munging them worse than the worst kid in my u15s last year.