Kane Johnson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Johnson

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I can only say this as an outsider looking in, but it is my view that the impact Kane Johnson is having at the Club is not to be underestimated.

I just think that much of the spirit developing amongst the players is in no small part due to Kane's influence.

He's been part of two premierships and knows how camaraderie and team spirit can take a team from being a 'good team' to another level. In other seasons, watching the players come off the ground after a win, you would have thought some of them had only just met. But since the arrival of Kane, I think things have really improved in that area.

Also, his efforts out on the ground are fantastic. He's always looking after teammates and doing the team things.

There's not much fanfare about him, but I think he's added not just some much needed hardness to our midfield, but also some team spirit and camaraderie, which is just as important if we're going to get anywhere in this competition.

Glad to have him in a Richmond jumper.

P.S. J2R, you're allowed to be biased on this thread. I expect it. ;)

I agree MC! He really looks like He's enjoying it out there and as I said in my review he's really enjoying being back in Melbourne and being closer to family and friends. He is also leading by example and showing the way for some of the younger guys in the team.

No doubt he is a champion. I can tell you one thing, Crows fans over here are very disappointed he is no longer with them.

With him in the side i dont miss Jason Torney who was one of our better players over the last ocuple of years. Definitely a handy pickup and all the other points MC24 mentioned are valid too and not to be underestimated. The ultimate professional.

Kane is pure......wait till we get some structure back in the team.

You will have in the middle Cambell and Otto, big targets in Richo and Staff with crumbers like Rodan and Krak at their feet, Holland being the big man down back, and Kane running around being the binding agent bringing all this togeather.

Has turned out to be pickup of the year so far.

AND WHO EVER DOUBTED THAT THIS WOULD BE THE CASE?? Well... maybe it's time I wandered through some old threads just after trading time secured us KJ....
;) I think I recall around 3 had huge doubts over him and stated them fairly abruptly.

Dig them up. I cant belive anyone would question his acquisition. HE has 2 premierships, waso ne of the best players in a gun midfield in Adelaide. That befuddles me. MAybe what we gave up was a bit extreme, buti would rather punt on a proven player than a youngster who has yet to prove himself.

MC24 said:
P.S. J2R, you're allowed to be biased on this thread. I expect it. ;)
ok your wish is my command MC ;D.
the recruitment of johnson goes futher than his onfield deeds.he brings to the club something that has been sadly lacking in the past.the knowledge of how to achieve success.
his attitude on the field is matched at training.
some say cogs would/should be our next capt/ i believe cogs will be capt of this great game however his time will come.in the mean time post cambo i have absolute no problem with johnson being our next capt.
johson as capt would be akin to voss of the lions.i firmly believe that.[not taking nothing away from cambo mind you].
yes i maybe biased but johnson is the major reason for our turnaround this year.
how was that MC? ;D

johnson2richo2003 said:
yes i maybe biased but johnson is the major reason for our turnaround this year.
how was that MC? ;D

You've done Kane proud J2R and even though you may be biased, I think you may just be right too. :)

I suspect you might be enjoying this season as much as I am? ;)

Calm down kids! its only round 7.

Johnson's been great for us so far (except against port and collingwood) but lets not chalk this up as a success just yet.

We might just view this deal in a different light when Johnson's 30 and on the way out and Wells/Brennen are 23 and dominating the league. It all comes down to wheather we win a premiership during Johnson's time at the club.

Its a shame they didnt get him two years ago when that dud Ben Holland wanted to go back to SA and Frawley refused.

TigerFurious said:
Calm down kids! its only round 7.

Johnson's been great for us so far (except against port and collingwood) but lets not chalk this up as a success just yet.

We might just view this deal in a different light when Johnson's 30 and on the way out and Wells/Brennen are 23 and dominating the league. It all comes down to wheather we win a premiership during Johnson's time at the club.
not to mention *smile* dominating at either end. ;D
all i know is johnson is a proven player. wells and brennan are still too young to make any type of prediction.
so i gather getting johnson was a mistake?

diggler said:
Its a shame they didnt get him two years ago when that dud Ben Holland wanted to go back to SA and Frawley refused.
its a pity you cant get ya facts right

johnson2richo2003 said:
all i know is johnson is a proven player. wells and brennan are still too young to make any type of prediction.

I wouldn't say he was a mistake, but then again I wouldn't say he is a success. Thats my point.

TigerFurious said:
johnson2richo2003 said:

I wouldn't say he was a mistake, but then again I wouldn't say he is a success. Thats my point.
not a success?
yet you believe that both wells and brennan will bite us on the bum yet johnson has the score on the board.puzzling.

I was speculating in regard to Wells/Brennan J2r.

My point was that its just too early to be calling a winner. Brennan/Wells may turn out to be complete duds then again they may not.

This may be considered unfairly harsh on Richmond but if we don't win a premiership with Johnson and lets face it thats what he was recruited for, and Wells/Brennen turn out to be stars then I would say we lost out on that deal.

TigerFurious said:
I was speculating in regard to Wells/Brennan J2r.

My point was that its just too early to be calling a winner. Brennan/Wells may turn out to be complete duds then again they may not.

This may be considered unfairly harsh on Richmond but if we don't win a premiership with Johnson and lets face it thats what he was recruited for, and Wells/Brennen turn out to be stars then I would say we lost out on that deal.
i see where ya coming from but im not saying that johnson will be the sole reason we [hopefully] win a flag but its a step in the right direction. i agree wells etc could be stars but also who knows so could *smile* or joe blow we pick up next year.

as far as im concerned getting johnson was the correct move by the club.

Here's something I wrote before the season started concerning our new improved midfield:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Call me a pessimist, but I still think our midfield will suck this year and I am sceptical of the players who in most people's opinion are going to help get us out of the mire we have been in for the last five years (we did ok with a prime Knights, Broderick, Campbell, but even then we lacked a quality ruckman).

Kane Johnson: Nothing he has done so far in his career has struck me as exceptional. And when you have guys like McCleod, Ricciuto and Goodwin taking the tags week in week out and you still dont star in the midfield, that suggests that he will struggle when he becomes the hunted at tigerland.

Justin Blumfield: this dude makes Wayne Campbell look like Glenn Archer. i have never seen a bigger pussy in my life. Maybe he can be of some value up forward, or possibly on the wing, but dont expect him to do too much more than all the other pussies at richmond. However, his disposal is pretty good, i'll give him that much. Better than clowns like Fiora and Tivendale who never look up the field and just bang it forward after being exhausted from doing the sprint of their lives with the ball.

And then there is Duncan Kellaway, Clinton King, Mathew Rogers, Adam Houlihan and Kayne Pettifer. I wont even start. Just dont expect to get anywhere this year if these guys are still good enough to get a game.

Which leaves Coughlan, Campbell and Bowden. I think these players should be our starting line up in the center with Ottens. The only reason Johnson should play in the middle is if Campbell is getting double teamed, which often happens. As for him being an improvement on Campbell, Bowden or Coughlan as a midfielder, thats a crock of sh!t. At best he can be a foil so that Wayne is freed up down back

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whoa, what a scathing bastard I was (am)!
Okay, okay, I was wrong about Kane Johnson, he is a very good player (still not in the class of Cambo! ;D). He has shown in the games he has played so far that he can play some good footy, having only had one really bad game. Why I was sceptical of him was because other than one good year at Adeliade, i didn't think that he had shown much as a player. Whilst its still early days to judge him on the merits of this year, I have clearly undervalued him. But i'll reserve ultimate judgement on him until after I've seen him for a couple of years. He does look the goods though. Better centreman than Bowden (nothing to do with ability, just determination).

A sorry goes out to Tivendale as well, playing much, much better footy than he was last year. Might have to revise my opinion about Blumfield too, who knows?

Just did this post to admit that I was wrong about some things (mainly Kane Johnson), and i don't mind being held accountable for what I said. They say a week is a long time in football... a couple of months is an eternity!
Anyways its good to look back on what the opinions of the time were and reassess after some time elapses.

The whole deal was turned upside down by the AFL not he club. When we traded we traded pick 4 not pick 2 as it subsequently turned out to be. But we had to trade on what was fact not what could have been.

Even Greg MILLER said things may have been different had they known the AFL were going to remove Carltons draft picks.

Let me say here and now though that I am very happy with Johnson in the side.

Fair dinkum you blokes. What are you on about? :-\

I started this out to acknowledge the good traits that Kane seems to have brought to the team and Club and you're all going on about what coulda, woulda, shoulda happened.

Regardless of his impact out on the ground, now and in the future, in anybody's eyes, he has been a positive influence in such a short time and no doubt that the real benefit of his influence will be seen down the track.

Yes, it is only early days yet, but you can't help but notice the difference between Richmond now and previous seasons. While a lot of people are responsible for that, I believe that Kane can take more than a little bit of credit for that.

Good onya MC24. Anyone who can't see how good KJ is must be blind or have no knowledge of footy whatsoever. It's soooo bleeding obvious he's an absolute gun midfielder!!

And for chrissakes drop this argument about Wells/Goddard. As Gus pointed out, it was PICK FOUR, not TWO that we traded. The Carlton penalty was a shock to the football world at the time. It was discussed as a slight possibility beforehand - but no-one (no-one, no-one, no-one!) could have made decisions based on the merest rumour.