Kane Johnson | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kane Johnson

MC24 said:
Fair dinkum you blokes. What are you on about? :-\

I started this out to acknowledge the good traits that Kane seems to have brought to the team and Club and you're all going on about what coulda, woulda, shoulda happened.

Isn't that the fun of a message board? I was going to do a poll last week on how people think of our deal with Kane now we've seen him in action.

Who'd still take him and who'd prefer the pick we gave up.

I'd give up either 2 or 4 pick to get someone with Kanes track record, and seeing what he adds to the team. H'es not that much older than the kids and doesn't have such an unknown quantity about him. Draft picks can be a lottery.

I went back to the old forum this morning and read the comments from the time.
Out of interest I'd love to know what GhostOfJimJess thinks in regard to the deal now.

rosy3 said:
Isn't that the fun of a message board?

I absolutely agree with you Rosy and I have said on several occasions that everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I guess I was just a bit miffed that what started out as a positive topic turned into something else altogether.

It happens all the time, I know.

As you were everyone (resume hostitilities). I'm over it now. ;D

I think those questioning Kanes value are missing the point. It's not just about his ability on the day, which IMO is great anyway.

Richmond has needed;
1. people from a winning environment.
2. hardness at the ball and the man.
3. ability to break tackles and hit targets.

KJ has all these. His addition along with Coughlan, Rodan and Nicholls has put opposition players under pressure (hence their poor disposal) and allowed the receivers more time to deliver (hence Bowden & Tivendale look better).

The first 20 yrs of my life I supported a team that put the fear of God into opponents, for the last 20 yrs I've often been embarrassed. Frawley has had the guts to surround himself on and off the field with people from a winning environment and whilst I think we still have a way to go for the first time in many years I can the Tigers are learning to be winners again. ;D

Thanks Tigerblood and Ruthless. ;)

Ruthless Richmond said:
… whilst I think we still have a way to go for the first time in many years I can the Tigers are learning to be winners again.

Many people are starting to realise this Ruthless and it won't be long before those who need a bit more convincing than others start to see it as well.

A couple of points:

I agree with MC on the value of Kane to the tigers. Many doubted (I had reservations I must admit) that his form would continue without the protection of the other guns from Adelaide, however, I think, if anything, Kane has grown under the pressure of being the number 1 or 2 guy in the middle and is playing the best footy of his career.

Secondly, I think we also underestimate the effect he has on the player around him. His class acts as an exemplar for Cogs, Rodan, Krakour etc. He (along with Campo) shows these juniors how its done in the middle. This is the point that those talking about our picks miss. If we had got Wells etc, last week Cogs would have been the senior guy in the middle. Where would that have put us? Etc etc.

PMac said:
A couple of points:

I agree with MC on the value of Kane to the tigers. Many doubted (I had reservations I must admit) that his form would continue without the protection of the other guns from Adelaide, however, I think, if anything, Kane has grown under the pressure of being the number 1 or 2 guy in the middle and is playing the best footy of his career.

Secondly, I think we also underestimate the effect he has on the player around him. His class acts as an exemplar for Cogs, Rodan, Krakour etc. He (along with Campo) shows these juniors how its done in the middle. This is the point that those talking about our picks miss. If we had got Wells etc, last week Cogs would have been the senior guy in the middle. Where would that have put us? Etc etc.
well said pmac.
johnson in the middle means:
johnson gets the attention freeing up coughlan or visa versa.
outside players like tivvers,bowden,cambo etc have all excelled for the very reason that jono and cogs GET the hard ball.
johnson playing under the likes of mcleod,goodwin etc not only helps him but also the likes of cogs,neman etc.

sure i would love to have got a wells or a brennan however who knows how they will turnout like.
performing like we are and on a more consistant basis =more members and a position to go after a wells or a brennan in the future.

j2r pmac rr mc all make very good points.
But also KJ's training ethic is highly praised. This is what we needed a freak for the Richmond club who trains is arse off and disposes of the ball in a highly skilled fashion who, at the same time is also prepared to get 'in and under'!!
Now, all we need to do is dangle a carrot in front of another former Tiger fan in his youth....

Nathan Brown. 8)

Him and Brent Guerra plus a swag of new talls a full back a couple of mid-fielders and the best available apart from that and the Beck Miller combination will be hailed as genious ;)

Brent Guerra is an unlucky footballer. How he doesnt get picked in the Port side every wek is bewildering to not only me but also Port supporters. He always seems to comeo ff the bench and have a reasonable game and kick his one or two goals.

He kicked 6 for Central Distrists in the SANFL on the weekend and i am sure will come back and is someone we can look to.

As for Nathan Brown i never knew he was a tiger supporter, adn he is coming out of contract at the end of the year and Bulldogs probably ownt be able to afford to keep him. Sounds promising.

Anyone take note of Johnno coming off the field after Saturdays win. He was beaming and doing a lot of talking to the younger guys along with Cameron. Seemed to be pretty happy.

Another player coming out of contract at the end of the year that would be worth a look is Chris JUDD as he allegedly wants to return home. Now that would make a midfield worth noting.

Now all we need are those unsigned members to get on board so the club can finance some quality pick ups come years end.

Keep hearing Collingwood are way under their cap, but must admit I wonder how.....if that is the case surely some of their guys will be demanding pay increases come contract time.

Brown's not happy at the bulldogs and it looks like he wants out. The number 17 guernsey at richmond is waiting for him - he would look good in it. However in order to get him we would need to trade a decent player/s and our first draft pick to the dogs. They need talls so Hall could be an option. Also I hope Vardy can get more game time in order to increase his market value.

Who did Judd barrack for?

Forget Brown, he is a money hungry pig. He will want something in the order of $500k per season. $300k for his football ability and $200k for his ego.

People think Richo is a bad kick. Only for the fact the Richo has a crap technique is he always singled out. For some reason Brown is loved beyond mention and thus doesn't get he appalling kicking for goal highligted.
Captain Hook is he for the amount he kicks swing to the right.

Brent Guerra would be a much better pick up. The kid can play but doesn't get much of a run at Port for the fact that there is a number of players in front of him who play small forward/midfield. I hope he plays all year at Central Districts, lowering his market value and making him more affordable to us. He would give a midfield alot more grunt, and he loves to sneak forward and kick a goal.

A player like that would really round out our midfield.

As Tigerdog mentioned, one more big man (194cm+) is required. He doesn;t even have to be that good a player, just a big man that can compete at both ends of the ground.

Maybe Nick Holland?? Would be a gamble to get a player like him, but maybe worth it for a few years.

I've heard from a couple of sources that Nathan Brown is VERY KEEN to come to Richmond & has been for a couple of seasons. But we wouldn't get him without trading quality. What would people think of trading Bowden for Brown? Would reunite the Bowden brothers at the Bulldogs and we'd pick up a gun forward/midfielder in the same mould but better IMO.

BTW, I'm pretty sure Judd was a Demon supporter.

Guerra would be an excellent pick up, but once again we'd have to trade a high-ish draft pick or a reasonable player...who?

RR - can't believe you'd want Nick Holland. I think he's washed up, certainly will rarely reach the heights of his early career. Like Carey, his shoulders are stuffed and soft tissue injuries abound. Stay well away.

Dean3, as I said, Nick Holland would be a gamble, but the guy hasn't been fit for about 3 years, so who knows what he is still capable of. Just a thought ;)

Guerra for Fiora - he is an ex Port Magpie boy. I would give Aaron in a second for Guerra.

As for Joel, I would prefer to keep Joel. I know he is frustrating at times mixed in with brilliance, but he is tiger thru and thru, as was his dad and brother, and I reckon it could do more damage than good even if we got Brown. Besides, unlike Torney, Bowden is in that rare breed that is a midfielder that can pinch anywhere on the ground.

I've got a story about Nathan Brown that will make you all cringe.
Nathan Brown was very nearly drafted by us in 1995 as a 17 year old. I was told that It was out of him and a bloke called Michael Raidis from Glenelg. We picked Raidis who went on to play 0 games. The following year in 1996 Brown went early in the draft (top 10 from memory) and the Bulldogs had a pick before us and took him. What could have been........

I'm not sure that we could afford him now, but if we could get him or Judd or Nick Stevens who is also uncontracted, one of those would be a good get. Would definately have to give up our first pick and a player.

Brent Guerra was talked about this season but did not eventuate. I think he's a clever player who can kick goals but can't get a game in Ports midfield.

Trade Richo for Brown I say. His useless hamstrings are just not up to it. Plus we play much better when he is sitting in the grandstand. No one dimensional bomb it down crap.

We'd have to trade a quality player for Brown, I don't think they'll be satisfied with our first draft pick. Number 16 in the draft doesn't assure quality. ;)

if i had a choice id take murphy than brown.while brown has talent murphy would come cheaper and will be a star within the next 2 yrs.
guerra for fiora? i wouldnt have a problem with that.
we would/could get judd for couhglan. but that wont happen.
i say go for murphy and guerra.