Kevin Bartlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kevin Bartlett

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Dustin and Kevin are the first 2 picked in an all-time finals players side.

Reactions: 3 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I see that as a ridiculous proposition. Bartlett wasn't in the AFL team of the century. If they picked it again now I think Dustin is probably in it, by the time he finishes he will definitely be in it.
If they picked the Team of the Century again now, I don't think it would change much
maybe wait 80 years until they pick the next one and Dusty might make the team of this century

Agree it's a ridiculous proposition. 2 absolute legends of the club and the game from different eras. almost impossible to compare. Happy to have seen them both

Reactions: 5 users

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Hungry has a far better record than at least half that team. Robbed.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Hungry has a far better record than at least half that team. Robbed.
They are just someone’s opinion as well.

I tried arguing on this site after the 2020 grand final there was a very strong argument that KB’s finals record was still the equal of or better than Dusty’s and you would have thought I had killed bambi :LOL:

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Absolutely. It is Sheedy's opinion, doesn't make it right or wrong. Maybe there are others who played in that era who have a different opinion.

I remember watching KB play as a young boy and then later as I grew older. Watching him play was a different feeling to watching Dusty play which to me is more like how I felt about watching Royce Hart, I was waiting for the extraordinary. KB was just there, week after week turning up playing at this incredibly high level and was always good for a few goals. As kids we idolised Hart and Billy Barrot because they were the rockstars
That's it. 1980 turned it on its head. Kicked many bags throughout the season and of course owned the finals.Became an absolute legend. Go watch the 80 second semi. We may not have won that game without Kevy. Ergo, no flag.

Reactions: 1 users

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
This discussion isn't whether or not Bartlett was a good player though, it's was he better than Dustin.

I see that as a ridiculous proposition. Bartlett wasn't in the AFL team of the century. If they picked it again now I think Dustin is probably in it, by the time he finishes he will definitely be in it.

When I say Bartlett couldn't carry his boots it isn't a sleight on him as a player, more a reflection of how good Dustin is. Cotchin couldn't carry his boots either, nor Riewoldt or any other Tiger player with the possible exception of Royce Hart and Jack Dyer.

KB was good?, he was an absolute champion. Won 5 flags and kicked 8 in a GF... whilst amassing 400+ games, plus many other awards.

To say KB/cotch etc couldnt carry Dustins boots is crappy...

Love Dust & KB as players.. Both absolute champions.

No need to denigrate one to make the point your opinion is the other is better.

To compare players and times is pointless, its just opinions and BS..

Who cares really, they were both champions and tigers for life!

Will say on a personal level, its been an absolute privilege wo watch Dusty/Rance/Cotch/Jack and few others career. Go Tiges

Reactions: 14 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
KB is no Jayden Short apparently. Staggered at some of the disrespectful garbage posted on this thread. Some great rebuttals though.

KB and Dusty both RFC legends and always will be.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
I remember watching KB play well. He had the same aura on the ground as Dusty. When he got near the ball the crowd would sit up in the knowledge that there was a good chance something special was going to happen, much like Dusty today.

We're lucky to have seen both play in the yellow and black.

Reactions: 10 users

graystar1

Tiger Legend
Apr 28, 2004
Hungry is criminally undersold for his footballing exploits by the wider AFL community. Sits comfortably alongside anyone to have played the game. Consider:

- 5 x B & F's in teams that had a host of champion players (From 67 to 82 only Raines (3) and Hart (2) won multiples
- 3 of those were in premiership years
- 778 Goals (3rd in RFC history)
- Names in Best players in the grand finals of 1967, 1969, 1972, 1973 (BOG), 1974, 1980 (Norm Smith Medallist) and 1982.
- Of 27 finals games was named in the best on 23 occasions (a % that is miles ahead of anyone else from any team in that era)
- An AFL exercise in 2001 named him BOG in 73'. 2nd best afield in 67', 3rd in 69', 72' and 74'.
- In an era of far lower possessions he averaged over 20 kicks per game every year from 67' to 79' (441 in 72' was his lowest)
- Across these 13 years he averaged an incredible 25 possessions per game and 40 goals per year
- Just one example of this is 77' when he had a staggering 665 disposals and kicked 55 goals
- He then went forward more in 80' and kicked 84 goals for the year

They are staggering numbers. ILHO his longevity overshadows how great he was.

Right in any conversation when discussing best players to have played the game.
Have no idea where you got those stats from Lazy Days, but good reading.
As an aside, I was lucky enough to be invited many moons ago to a Kevin Bartlett Roasting night.
Was amazed at what a sense of humour KB had.
Up "till then had always thought of him a bit sort of reclusive or even off handed.
he did not come across on that night anything like that, just the opposite.
Notwithstanding he was a brilliant footballer and a true Tiger as he is to this day.
Maybe you got these stats from his son Rhett?

Reactions: 2 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
One thing about KB that I don’t think gets the air time it deserves is that they changed the rules of the game to limit his effectiveness in getting free kicks for holding the man.

He is in very rare company in this regard.

Across all sport I can only think of one other sportsman who has had such recognition, and that is Walter Lindrum in billiards.

Reactions: 6 users

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
Different eras , different players .

in another sport I follow boxing , the comparisons between eras happen all the time and nothing can be proven , its all opinion based and different people will have different opinions almost always leaning towards their favorites .

Reactions: 4 users

houstontiger

Tiger Rookie
May 26, 2014
One thing about KB that I don’t think gets the air time it deserves is that they changed the rules of the game to limit his effectiveness in getting free kicks for holding the man.

He is in very rare company in this regard.

Across all sport I can only think of one other sportsman who has had such recognition, and that is Walter Lindrum in billiards.
The bodyline tactic was used to try to stop Bradman but was banned apparently when the Poms got it given back to them and sooked. Only allowed 2 behind square on the leg side since so that kind of fits with your comments above.

I still reckon 6-6-6 was brought in to stop Alex Rance's dominance as our 7th man in the backline.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Have no idea where you got those stats from Lazy Days, but good reading.
As an aside, I was lucky enough to be invited many moons ago to a Kevin Bartlett Roasting night.
Was amazed at what a sense of humour KB had.
Up "till then had always thought of him a bit sort of reclusive or even off handed.
he did not come across on that night anything like that, just the opposite.
Notwithstanding he was a brilliant footballer and a true Tiger as he is to this day.
Maybe you got these stats from his son Rhett?

I've been lucky enough to have met KB a few times & each time I've been more than impressed as to how he's interacted with, not only me but everyone else around him. He's never once been dismissive or acted high & mighty.
My daughter has interacted with him in work situations & he's always been easy to deal with & good humored, mind you he also wouldn't take any crap either, which is fair enough.

As I've said before on this thread, I count myself very lucky to have seen both KB & Dusty in my lifetime. Not to mention Blokes like Hart, Bourke, Barrott, Green, Weightman, Wiley, Clay, Cotchin etc. The list is almost endless, so many great players. What a privilege for us.

TBR, you're entitled to your opinion, but your comment about KB not being fit to "carry Dustys boots" I find laughable, I doubt that you saw him play, I did (many, many times) he was an out & out CHAMPION in every sense of the word & proved it in over 400 games for the Tigers + many Interstate games.
Dusty is also an absolute CHAMPION there's no doubt about that either, I'm just rapt that I've been lucky enough to have seen them both.

• Love
Reactions: 18 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
The bodyline tactic was used to try to stop Bradman but was banned apparently when the Poms got it given back to them and sooked. Only allowed 2 behind square on the leg side since so that kind of fits with your comments above.

I still reckon 6-6-6 was brought in to stop Alex Rance's dominance as our 7th man in the backline.

Forgot bodyline.

I always figured 6-6-6 was designed to win both Geelong and Collingwood a flag. Funny how both had reps on the rules committee that deliberated on it, and both on paper seemed to be the best prepared for its introduction.

But didn’t it backfire spectacularly!

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Dusty still needs to keep delivering to get to that stage TBR. Hopefully for all our sakes he does.

Hate comparing era's but if he retired tomorrow, all metrics considered, Hungry would have to still go down as our greatest Tiger.

Meteoric Rise

Tiger Cub
Feb 6, 2020
Understand the great respect for Bartlett as a player that people who saw him play have TT, not disputing his standing as a champion player.

When Dustin finishes playing the conversation will be is he the greatest or just the next greatest of all time. Bartlett isn't in that company, very few are.

So when I say he can't carry his boots there's no shame in that, there's only about three or four people who could.

With respect, that is just silly saying a player as good as Bartlett couldn’t carry someone’s boots. It is just not a thing you say about a player with that good a record. Plenty of people think Leigh Matthews is the best player of all time, and therefore better than his contemporary Bartlett, but when you compare their records overall and especially in the biggest games, it is not such a clear cut thing. And that is against what many believe is the best player ever. I am unsure how they performed when they went head to head, which they would have done many times. It would be interesting to look at that. They never met in a final. Just checked, in fact Bartlett was 5 years older than Matthews. Bartlett started playing regularly about 5 years before Matthews did, but Matthews only played 2 seasons past Bartlett’s retirement. Their disposal and goal averages are roughly similar in a large amount of finals played by both, but Matthews averaged 2.7 v Bartlett’s 1.9 goals per match across their careers. Across a 20 odd year period mid 60’s to mid 80’s I think you would be entitled to say Matthews had the best career and Bartlett the second best.

I saw loads of Bartlett, he was a brilliant player, in my opinion above the ordinary run of the best couple of players in most teams, especially due to his excellence over so many seasons and in 2 different roles. A man with his career can hold his head high in any company, for overall value over time he would certainly be in the top 10 in history, if not top 5.

Martin is obviously a superb footballer also well above the ordinary run of best couple of players in most teams. It is very difficult comparing players over different eras, but both Martin and Bartlett would have been huge stars in the era the other played in.

Reactions: 4 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
This really is absurd, to claim that a 5 time premiership player, one of the best finals performers ever, 5 time B&F etc etc etc ad nauseum somehow doesn't stack up to a modern day player is just wilful ignorance.

Kevin Bartlett stacks up to any player over time, that is why he is a legend. Tough, resilient and a proven performer when it matters, just look at the comments from Tom Hafey (better judge than the pundits here I would think, no matter their claims to glory) at Bartlett's induction into the Hall of Fame speak volumes, the player you could rely on to win a close game, etc.

I'll listen to a 4 time premiership coach thanks, there are very few who are a peer to Hafey when it comes to judging footballers, and they ain't posting here.

DS

Reactions: 8 users