Kevin Bartlett | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Kevin Bartlett

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Inevitably, in the off-season we consider conundrums like trying to rate football's freaks of nature. It's a nice problem to have, to try to weigh up two ornaments to our great game. KB is a massive element of five flags. Dusty is the architect of three. I suggest we leave the jury out until Dusty finishes his career. He might win us another two! Or God forbid, he might finish up at the Swans...
3 flags (18 team National competition)
5 flags (12 team Victorian competition)

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
He was let go because he wasn’t a very good coach. I know it’s semantics, but he wasn’t actually sacked, either. They chose to not renew his contract, because he couldn’t improve the team with what he had to work with. He used his position in the media to promote the sacked ‘myth’. He was a great player, it is true, but if they gave out awards for grudge holding he would have won all of them. Great player, flawed individual. There are some very illuminating comments about KB in the book The Hafey Years from team mates, and he was also the only past player who refused to participate in the book when asked.
Didn’t say he was a good coach just that he was the coach during the save our skins campaign and he was front and centre in that time when we needed him to be. Everyone involved at that time deserves our thanks.

You are right, the difference between not having your contract renewed and being sacked is semantics.

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
He was let go because he wasn’t a very good coach. I know it’s semantics, but he wasn’t actually sacked, either. They chose to not renew his contract, because he couldn’t improve the team with what he had to work with. He used his position in the media to promote the sacked ‘myth’. He was a great player, it is true, but if they gave out awards for grudge holding he would have won all of them. Great player, flawed individual. There are some very illuminating comments about KB in the book The Hafey Years from team mates, and he was also the only past player who refused to participate in the book when asked.
He was lied to by the club from the minute he was appointed coach. The board being totally deluded as most boards are thought that finals were possible with the a list of kids and has beens because they couldn’t afford to trade for any good players. Tried to sack him over the phone…classy stuff.
Fact is he won more games in his last year as coach than Jeans and Northey won in the ne t 2 seasons combined.
Was he a good coach? Me thinks yes with what he had. Be interesting to see what he could have done with a decent list.

Reactions: 11 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
He was lied to by the club from the minute he was appointed coach. The board being totally deluded as most boards are thought that finals were possible with the a list of kids and has beens because they couldn’t afford to trade for any good players. Tried to sack him over the phone…classy stuff.
Fact is he won more games in his last year as coach than Jeans and Northey won in the ne t 2 seasons combined.
Was he a good coach? Me thinks yes with what he had. Be interesting to see what he could have done with a decent list.
He did smugly make the comment about winning more games than Jeans and Northey combined on one of the panel shows. Changed his tune the year after when Northey’s team had their six game winning streak. A few players who played under both KB and Jeans credited Jeans with having more to do with developing them as players than KB did. I think Bartlett as a coach, like other highly talented players, didn’t fully understand why everyone wasn’t like him. That was one of Buckley’s failings, too.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
Try harder to remember mate.

There are six GFs in which Bartlett played inclusive of five premierships.

LTRTR would have had the handball stats at the ready by now.

Actually played in 7 Grand finals wins in 67, 69, 73,74 and 80 and two losses in 72 and 82

Had 5 handballs in those 7 GFs

Averaged 21.7 kicks.

KB was pretty quick and he had the rules changed to stop him getting caught with the ball by attempting a running bounce. Maybe his thought process was why handball when I can run 30 meters and kick 50.

Reactions: 1 users

Ghost of 29

Aug 16, 2008
He did smugly make the comment about winning more games than Jeans and Northey combined on one of the panel shows. Changed his tune the year after when Northey’s team had their six game winning streak. A few players who played under both KB and Jeans credited Jeans with having more to do with developing them as players than KB did. I think Bartlett as a coach, like other highly talented players, didn’t fully understand why everyone wasn’t like him. That was one of Buckley’s failings, too.
The Jeans thing was a joke. He came for the money as he was stitched up by a financial advisor the year before and was broke. He was a great coach of great players. Was terrible at Richmond and seriously doubt he did anything that KB didn’t do. And how was it smugly said when it was 100% true?? And disagree with the Buckley comparison. KB was a players coach and significantly simplified his footy ideology to match the low quality of players at his disposal. Ask Benny Gale what he thinks of KB. Gave him over 40 games when he barely deserved any of them as he wanted to develop him.

Reactions: 2 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
My understanding is Jeans , after the initial period, was too ill (and dispirited) to truly coach, the assistants did most of it.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Actually played in 7 Grand finals wins in 67, 69, 73,74 and 80 and two losses in 72 and 82

Had 5 handballs in those 7 GFs

Averaged 21.7 kicks.

KB was pretty quick and he had the rules changed to stop him getting caught with the ball by attempting a running bounce. Maybe his thought process was why handball when I can run 30 meters and kick 50.
Why would you handball to someone who is less likely to kick the goal than you?

Ghost of 29

Aug 16, 2008
As he fond of saying, why would you pass the ball to person running away from goals when you are running towards them!!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Ghost of 29

Aug 16, 2008
My understanding is Jeans , after the initial period, was too ill (and dispirited) to truly coach, the assistants did most of it.
Was there for the money and nothing else. Quickly realised he didn't have a Dermie, Langford, Aryes etc.. at his disposal. Have heard from ex Hawthorn people that they all know it was a massive mistake for the Tigers to employ him as he was cooked health wise.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
Genuine question - is there anywhere else everyone can take the KB / Alan Jeans, good bloke / bad bloke, coaching /character comparisons please ?

I would much prefer to read about Dustin Martin when I'm checking the Dustin Martin thread.

Reactions: 4 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Genuine question - is there anywhere else everyone can take the KB / Alan Jeans, good bloke / bad bloke, coaching /character comparisons please ?

I would much prefer to read about Dustin Martin when I'm checking the Dustin Martin thread.
Agree. Mods?

scottyturnerscurse

Tiger Legend
Apr 29, 2006
RFC itself falls into the trap of rating Dusty by a different scale.

Jayden Short was not, and will never be, a better, or fairer player than Dustin Martin in the 2020 premiership year.

Surely if Dusty wants to,

he captains the club he loves, and has lifted up?

Surely?

Surely the greatest AFL player in world history, will be given the option

of captaining his team?
This.

Reactions: 1 user

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
And that might tap into why others don’t rate Dusty as we do and sorry cant recall the post here “what sets Dusty apart from other champions”

Dusty , by dishing off to others instead of going for goal himself , does shine a spotlight on the career of so many other champions of the game. Did they bring teammates into the game ? If the answer is no then does not this point potentially elevate him to a higher level ??
And then the jealously and envy kick in

Let’s just hope Dusty can give us more seasons of what we rate as greatness

And maybe just maybe the rest of the football world will catch up

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
And that might tap into why others don’t rate Dusty as we do and sorry cant recall the post here “what sets Dusty apart from other champions”

Dusty , by dishing off to others instead of going for goal himself , does shine a spotlight on the career of so many other champions of the game. Did they bring teammates into the game ? If the answer is no then does not this point potentially elevate him to a higher level ??
And then the jealously and envy kick in

Let’s just hope Dusty can give us more seasons of what we rate as greatness

And maybe just maybe the rest of the football world will catch up

Hey Chook agree that Dusty is more likely than KB to give the ball off but Dusty still ignores teammates and goes for the goal himself especially if the team needs a goal

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Hey Chook agree that Dusty is more likely than KB to give the ball off but Dusty still ignores teammates and goes for the goal himself especially if the team needs a goal
All players, especially the champions will stamp their imprimatur on a game when they can n Dusty certainly gets among it. But Dusty's also a mile in front of probably any other player I've ever watched when it comes to bringing his team mates into the game.

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
All players, especially the champions will stamp their imprimatur on a game when they can n Dusty certainly gets among it. But Dusty's also a mile in front of probably any other player I've ever watched when it comes to bringing his team mates into the game.
Wrong thread TM.
This one is for wishing ill on club legend and record games holder KB

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
I’ll bring another player into this. Leigh Matthews has more goals than KB from less games. Was Leigh known for not passing it off to players, or did he also try to bring them into the game?