Liam McBean | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Liam McBean

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Just reading Jack's book now and enjoying it a lot. This caught my eye.

McBean is now a 4 time leading goal kicker across the VFL and SANFL and a 2 time premiership player.

I still believe he could have been a handy forward with the right development.

Really harmed by our culture and coaching at the time.
View attachment 21728
Jack clearly didnt support him at the time. If he did he would have known how he felt!

Easy to write now and come off looking like you cared at the time.

Reactions: 1 user

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
Jack clearly didnt support him at the time. If he did he would have known how he felt!

Easy to write now and come off looking like you cared at the time.
I think part of Jack's sentiment is that he felt that he failed Liam, and other younger players at the time.

He's not trying to colour it any other way. The culture was not one of support or positivity, and Jack was behaving the way he thought the club expected him to.

Although, Jack did lead the discussion with Benny Gale to remove these sessions and move on from leading teams. As has always been obvious Jack was a driver of the culture that transformed the club.

Reactions: 19 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
That would have been when we tried "Leading Teams" it didn't work. The Hawks and the Scats hailed it as being vital to their premierships wins.

Just reading that the Swans developed the blood's culture, via leading teams.
Jason Akermanis thought it was workplace bullying.

Leading teams and RFC must have had some kind of principles that they came up.
It does sound like club leaders set the agenda .. McBean was a junior player..jeez not putting head over the footy is week to week basics of footy.
We had the review in 16.

It finally came together for us in 2017. Peggy and Brendan sacking assistants not dimma
Balme & Emma Murray IN

Dimma developed a more relaxed coaching style relaxed, have fun, play to strengths. A bit of caracella ball movement.
Cotch opening up to his vulnerabilities .

To win a flag was so good. To back then up was better.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
It’s always a balance.

Play to your players strengths makes a lot of sense.

I’m sure there are some non-negotiable - turning up to training on time, alcohol use in season etc.

Harping on weaknesses only I don’t really think works for very many. Maybe a perfectionist?

Everyone is different and working out how to create an environment where everyone (who wants to) can thrive is the magic sauce. I reckon we did a much better job recruiting those who want to improve too which then fits a more supportive culture.

Leadership at mid 20s is young. Not surprised we had alpha males expecting everyone else to be wired the same way they were and cracking the sads when they weren’t. Imagine delidio was like this - someone who has made footy their life and it’s all pretty serious. Probably hard to have a k-Mac for example thrive if delidio (or Cotchin or Riewoldt) is driving super Grover to do things the same way they do. Kudos to getting this young group to change their style.

Shame McJesus never got to experience that. Clearly had/s the talent. *smile* another who thrived elsewhere.

Reactions: 3 users

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
It’s always a balance.

Play to your players strengths makes a lot of sense.

I’m sure there are some non-negotiable - turning up to training on time, alcohol use in season etc.

Harping on weaknesses only I don’t really think works for very many. Maybe a perfectionist?

Everyone is different and working out how to create an environment where everyone (who wants to) can thrive is the magic sauce. I reckon we did a much better job recruiting those who want to improve too which then fits a more supportive culture.

Leadership at mid 20s is young. Not surprised we had alpha males expecting everyone else to be wired the same way they were and cracking the sads when they weren’t. Imagine delidio was like this - someone who has made footy their life and it’s all pretty serious. Probably hard to have a k-Mac for example thrive if delidio (or Cotchin or Riewoldt) is driving super Grover to do things the same way they do. Kudos to getting this young group to change their style.

Shame McJesus never got to experience that. Clearly had/s the talent. *smile* another who thrived elsewhere.

Everyone has weaknesses, every footy player has too (Dusty excepted ( :))
Belittling someone because of a perceived "weakness" is a flawed logic & can often reinforce/ingrain that perception on the person involved.
We often despaired at Richo's goal kicking, how he sometimes missed goals from dead in front & only a few metres out. He spoke about it in his book, when asked why it was so. He said that when he was a kid he was told that he was a "schit kick" & it played on his mind for the rest of his career. Positive "negative reinforcement".
He also said that when he was snap kicking for goal he didn't have time to think about it & that's why he was better at that aspect.

Not many people thrive under negative criticism. Positive feedback is a far better way to achieve a better outcome. I don't mean mindless positivity, but realistic feedback.
When its all said & done most of us have that little bloke in the back of our mind who just waiting to say " why did you do it that way instead of this way etc etc". The little bugger gives more negative feedback than positive thats for sure. We don't need some outsider helping him.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
The feedback that McJesus was getting from his teammates would've made him feel small, no wonder he played like a small forward.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
I think part of Jack's sentiment is that he felt that he failed Liam, and other younger players at the time.

He's not trying to colour it any other way. The culture was not one of support or positivity, and Jack was behaving the way he thought the club expected him to.

Although, Jack did lead the discussion with Benny Gale to remove these sessions and move on from leading teams. As has always been obvious Jack was a driver of the culture that transformed the club.
Good points. There is no doubt there was a massive change at the club following the 2016 season. Growth all round. And Jack did acknowledge he gave terrible feedback he regrets.

Shows you any organisation can change.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I have Jack's book but haven't read it yet. Brutal assessment of MacBean at the time to say he was weak and I don't subscribe to public shaming as a way of getting the best out of people, whether it be in footy or anything else.

However we shouldn't rewrite history because the fact is he was a big man who never played like a big man, he was a flanker in a key forward's body. He was never going to be the crash and bash key forward. That doesn't mean he was weak, that was his skill set.

I watched him play in the SANFL finals and he still plays fundamentally the same way as he always did, the only difference being he is physically a bit bigger and stronger which allows him to be better one on one than he was. He was good in the finals but still drifted in and out of the game.

Not an AFL player imo.

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
I have Jack's book but haven't read it yet. Brutal assessment of MacBean at the time to say he was weak and I don't subscribe to public shaming as a way of getting the best out of people, whether it be in footy or anything else.

However we shouldn't rewrite history because the fact is he was a big man who never played like a big man, he was a flanker in a key forward's body. He was never going to be the crash and bash key forward. That doesn't mean he was weak, that was his skill set.

I watched him play in the SANFL finals and he still plays fundamentally the same way as he always did, the only difference being he is physically a bit bigger and stronger which allows him to be better one on one than he was. He was good in the finals but still drifted in and out of the game.

Not an AFL player imo.
I agree. He has just found his level. No shame in that.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users