List Management | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

List Management

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
It's vital now that we get back into the first round this year. Gold Coast's first pick will be for sale. They have three highly-rated academy kids, one of whom (Walter) will attract a very early bid, so they won't want their pick swallowed up.

There were murmurings of Dusty to Gold Coast last year. I don't know if there was anything to them or if he'd want to go (more likely if Dimma takes the job) but if we could get back into the top-10 by saying goodbye to our beloved champion, it would be smart business. It wouldn't tarnish his legacy one iota for me. I know it's different circumstances but Hodge is and will always be a Hawthorn legend.

Otherwise we should seriously consider who else we could part with, and/or think about trading next year's first.

If its top 10, I reckon they'd want something back, but I tend to agree. Marquee signing for them and wouldn't necessarily just be about what he does on the field. Its what he can do about putting bums on seats. If they need something to try and get people through the door, whats better than one of the most decorated coaches of the modern era and the most decorated player of the modern era? Makes a lot of business sense for the Suns and IMO the AFL would likely help them out with some of the salary being paid outside the cap. They can justify it as a ROI type of thing. Dusty could have a very nice top up of his super by moving up there.

I'd love him to be a 1 club player too, but there is certainly validity in the argument.

If we could roll Sam Flanders into that deal and still get their 1st rounder, it would be a great deal. We'd have to give something up though and it probably wouldn't be another player but a later draft pick (probs our 2nd), but Dusty and our 2nd for Flanders and their 1st could work for both clubs. We add a 22 year old mid to our mid group and a top 10 draft pick.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If its top 10, I reckon they'd want something back, but I tend to agree. Marquee signing for them and wouldn't necessarily just be about what he does on the field. Its what he can do about putting bums on seats. If they need something to try and get people through the door, whats better than one of the most decorated coaches of the modern era and the most decorated player of the modern era? Makes a lot of business sense for the Suns and IMO the AFL would likely help them out with some of the salary being paid outside the cap. They can justify it as a ROI type of thing. Dusty could have a very nice top up of his super by moving up there.

I'd love him to be a 1 club player too, but there is certainly validity in the argument.

If we could roll Sam Flanders into that deal and still get their 1st rounder, it would be a great deal. We'd have to give something up though and it probably wouldn't be another player but a later draft pick (probs our 2nd), but Dusty and our 2nd for Flanders and their 1st could work for both clubs. We add a 22 year old mid to our mid group and a top 10 draft pick.
We could do a Geelong and buy the pick by paying some of Dusty's salary next year.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
It's vital now that we get back into the first round this year. Gold Coast's first pick will be for sale. They have three highly-rated academy kids, one of whom (Walter) will attract a very early bid, so they won't want their pick swallowed up.

There were murmurings of Dusty to Gold Coast last year. I don't know if there was anything to them or if he'd want to go (more likely if Dimma takes the job) but if we could get back into the top-10 by saying goodbye to our beloved champion, it would be smart business. It wouldn't tarnish his legacy one iota for me. I know it's different circumstances but Hodge is and will always be a Hawthorn legend.

Otherwise we should seriously consider who else we could part with, and/or think about trading next year's first.
I dont reckon the club will be looking to write off this year, and next, just yet.
If the losses continue and we end up toward the bottom of the ladder, then yes, change is probably required. But if the wins start coming (and I dont think they are necessarily that far away) then we will continue on the path we have been following the last couple of years, of continuing to slowly transition our vets out, but I doubt we will be encouraging any- like Dusty- out the door.
If he, or any, are pushing to leave then that is a different story.

Reactions: 5 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I dont reckon the club will be looking to write off this year, and next, just yet.
If the losses continue and we end up toward the bottom of the ladder, then yes, change is probably required. But if the wins start coming (and I dont think they are necessarily that far away) then we will continue on the path we have been following the last couple of years, of continuing to slowly transition our vets out, but I doubt we will be encouraging any- like Dusty- out the door.
If he, or any, are pushing to leave then that is a different story.
Of course we won't push him out but if he's not fully in...it could be time.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Of course we won't push him out but if he's not fully in...it could be time.
I meant philosophically i dont think we are yet at a stage where we are going to be trying to trade stars out for better draft picks- i think we are still in it to win, this year and next- but that could change significantly by the end of the year, or even by the bye.

Webbie26

Tiger Rookie
May 17, 2023
Offer harrison jones 5 years from the bombers out of contract, need to make an offer he cant say no too, and injured will be a star though when fit.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Offer harrison jones 5 years from the bombers out of contract, need to make an offer he cant say no too, and injured will be a star though when fit.
It’d be a brave move to give a guy who’s only played 31 games (and will miss all of 2023 bar 5 games) a 5 year contract.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
We are Tom Lynch away from being a top 8 team again.

If we can snare Himmelberg then we will be on our way.

Also need a couple of good small forwards.

I have high hopes Seth Campbell can be one of them.

Reactions: 3 users

Tigga94

Tiger Rookie
Apr 2, 2023
Neglected to develop key position players has cooked us for now and the future. Horrible decisions have been made.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

That's overly optimistic I reckon. We have quite a few holes and might be bottom 3 or 4. Lynch ain't young.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
We need Key forwards. But anlso ans important are some also speedy skilled small forwards.
We need to find a Cyril, Rankine, Betts, LeCras, Matera, Milne type or three. Some are high draft picks but some are rookies to late picks.
Stop plonking slow mids and zero skilled runners there as prime small forwards.
Hey recruiters and scouts, we haven’t got too many early picks so nows the time to earn a reputation, with a mandate to scour other levels of competition if needed and unearth a couple.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

Hopes on kids from Tassie that haven‘t played are a long shot.

saigon tiger

Tiger Superstar
Jun 4, 2010
Our list is horribly out of balance too many plodders or shocking disposal players. 6th change onballers with no dash playing on flanks, no polish, no up and coming key forwards etc. We are in a big hole getting bigger unfortunately

Reactions: 4 users

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Our list is horribly out of balance too many plodders or shocking disposal players. 6th change onballers with no dash playing on flanks, no polish, no up and coming key forwards etc. We are in a big hole getting bigger unfortunately
That's because we love to draft half back flankers and hope that somehow they will miraculously turn into quality midfielders.

Daigoro

Tiger Matchwinner
Sep 20, 2004
We need Key forwards. But anlso ans important are some also speedy skilled small forwards.
We need to find a Cyril, Rankine, Betts, LeCras, Matera, Milne type or three. Some are high draft picks but some are rookies to late picks.
Stop plonking slow mids and zero skilled runners there as prime small forwards.
Hey recruiters and scouts, we haven’t got too many early picks so nows the time to earn a reputation, with a mandate to scour other levels of competition if needed and unearth a couple.
Key forwards yes. But in small forwards we need butler, Castagna, Rioli types. This is the key position we have been neglecting for years even though we invented them.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Because the blokes that are paid to rejuvenate the kid's have set us back 5 years.
Since Rioli we have lost Ellis Collier-Dawkins, Coleman Jones & Higgins.
That's 4 picks under 21.
Not 1 is in our best 22.
Then throw in Brown & Dow we have almost 10 yrs of failed 1st rounders..your not challenging shiit if you haven't got a couple of those kids coming through.
Looking back the 5 in 30 draft was a disaster.
Not only haven't we got any playing in our best 22, 3 of the 30 look like delist material.
Gibcus & Clarke are the only ones that look like best 22.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

Agree on all 3 points.