#lolNorf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

#lolNorf

bugsy

TIGERISING
Jul 31, 2004
Sorry. I stuffed up with the posting/editing.

May have another go at it later

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Solution, merge them with the Suns- The Northern Gold Coast Sunny Roos, or the Giants, to become the Greater North Western Sydney Giant Kangaroos. and bring in a Tassie team
Yep, agree. The Tassie Maps needs to be a new licence.

I'd actually merge GWS & #lolNorf and move them to ACT. Allow them to play half their home games in Homebush to keep the embers alight. From ACT they can further develop the ACT and Riverina back to the predominantly AFL districts they once were.

Gold Coast Suns licence to be given to Southport and let them really develop the Gold Coast from the grassroots.

Essendon to Darwin, though I'd hate for them to be given the top end as their drafting region.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Yep, agree. The Tassie Maps needs to be a new licence.

I'd actually merge GWS & #lolNorf and move them to ACT. Allow them to play half their home games in Homebush to keep the embers alight. From ACT they can further develop the ACT and Riverina back to the predominantly AFL districts they once were.

Gold Coast Suns licence to be given to Southport and let them really develop the Gold Coast from the grassroots.

Essendon to Darwin, though I'd hate for them to be given the top end as their drafting region.
The AFL wont give up on western Sydney so there wont be a full move Canberra, but there could/should be scope to have a bigger presence there.

I would be happy to Essendon to move, but if Darwin enter the AFL they need to be a new club, like a Tassie team. Too many people have allegiances to clubs that they wouldnt shift to an enemy. they would follow a new club though. Essendon can go to Townsville.

tigersnake

Tear 'em apart
Sep 10, 2003
Solution, merge them with the Giants, to become the Greater North Western Sydney Giant Kangaroos.
Youse might be onto something. It couldn't hamper GWS much, they are a very long term proposition. And it would be easy to tweak the song

Well there's a big, big sound
From the West of the town
It's the Giant Kangaroo-oos

You feel the ground a-shaking
The other teams are quaking
When they see Giant Kangaroo-oos

We take the longest strides
And the highest leap
We're stronger than the rest

We're the Greater Western Sydney Canberra Giant Roos
We're the biggest and the best

And we will never surrender
We'll fight until the end
We're greater than the rest

ha ha

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
- Send Norf to Canberra
- Add Tassie and NT.
- Makes a 20 team comp.
- AFL now does the draw spliting 6/6/6 so with 20 it can split 5/5/5/5. This makes for a 23 round season.
- Do away with preseason games.
- Can have 2 byes during the season
- Extra game per round and extra round gives booster to $ coffers from increased media rights.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
- Send Norf to Canberra
- Add Tassie and NT.
- Makes a 20 team comp.
- AFL now does the draw spliting 6/6/6 so with 20 it can split 5/5/5/5. This makes for a 23 round season.
- Do away with preseason games.
- Can have 2 byes during the season
- Extra game per round and extra round gives booster to $ coffers from increased media rights.
Different topic, but the AFL also needs to do away with splitting the fixture into groups of 6. Deliberately attempting to give teams easier draws is not assisting equalisation but effecting the ladder. If the fixture can't be even, it should be random, even if that randomness includes certain double up fixtures like intra-city clashes.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Different topic, but the AFL also needs to do away with splitting the fixture into groups of 6. Deliberately attempting to give teams easier draws is not assisting equalisation but effecting the ladder. If the fixture can't be even, it should be random, even if that randomness includes certain double up fixtures like intra-city clashes.
Said this a week or so ago. Every team plays every other team once, then starts again in round 18. It continues on the next season. It’s random and fair. The trade off is the loss of scheduled ‘blockbusters’.

Reactions: 2 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Said this a week or so ago. Every team plays every other team once, then starts again in round 18. It continues on the next season. It’s random and fair. The trade off is the loss of scheduled ‘blockbusters’.
Each team plays each other once over the first 17 rounds.
Then the teams are split in to three pools of six based on this criteria:

1. The four pairs of teams in the two-team states are in the same pool (so they get their derbies).
2. The sum of the ladder positions at the end of round 17 of the teams in each pool comes to 57 (or as close as possible given the other criteria). This evenly seeds the pools.
3. Every team ends up with 11 "home" and 11 "away" games.
4. No team plays any other team twice at "home" or "away".

The teams in each pool play each other once in rounds 18 to 22.

Complicated but it's the fairest it can be with 18 teams and 22 rounds, and I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to. 2020 showed how dynamic the fixture can be.
Maybe have a full bye between rounds 17 and 18.
The old VFL actually did something very similar from 1897 to 1900 trying to have 8 teams fill out 17 rounds before the finals.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
Each team plays each other once over the first 17 rounds.
Then the teams are split in to three pools of six based on this criteria:

1. The four pairs of teams in the two-team states are in the same pool (so they get their derbies).
2. The sum of the ladder positions at the end of round 17 of the teams in each pool comes to 57 (or as close as possible given the other criteria). This evenly seeds the pools.
3. Every team ends up with 11 "home" and 11 "away" games.
4. No team plays any other team twice at "home" or "away".

The teams in each pool play each other once in rounds 18 to 22.

Complicated but it's the fairest it can be with 18 teams and 22 rounds, and I'm sure they could do it if they wanted to. 2020 showed how dynamic the fixture can be.
Maybe have a full bye between rounds 17 and 18.
The old VFL actually did something very similar from 1897 to 1900 trying to have 8 teams fill out 17 rounds before the finals.
Very much in favour of a full bye. That again stops all the arguments about rested teams playing teams that didn’t. Proper home and away would be great, too. No us playing ‘home’ games at Marvel, and the Cats could get their 11 home games at their bowling alley. Imagine the screams from AFL house when that means Carlton and Essendon host the likes of Collingwood at Marvel.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
As far as I can recall, didn’t Noble last coach as an assistant 10+ years ago at the Crows ? In other words, is he up to date on current coaching techniques, tactics, relationships etc ?

Did anyone at Norf stop to think this bloke hasn’t actually coached in a long time ? Or was Roos’ endorsement good enough ?

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
There will be players falling out of the North tree at the end of 2022... No doubt clubs would be sniffing around.
Norf are actually a much better team than they are performing to. Pretty certain of that. They showed it in the second half of last year. So hopefully they make some incorrect assessments and decisions on a few at the end of the year and they enter the “open market” so to speak.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
As far as I can recall, didn’t Noble last coach as an assistant 10+ years ago at the Crows ? In other words, is he up to date on current coaching techniques, tactics, relationships etc ?

Did anyone at Norf stop to think this bloke hasn’t actually coached in a long time ? Or was Roos’ endorsement good enough ?

To be fair Fagan was the same and has been fantastic for Brisbane.

Not sure that alone is a reason, so long as surrounded by the right people.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
To survive Norfs should disclose a *smile* load of Amalfio bungles over the next three months. Pin it all on him.

That gives them 12 weeks to think up some good myths about survival.

Are there wind farms in Tassie? Tassie Trurbines? Oh, yeah. Good stories emerging.

Alternatively Norfs could become part of the Gold Coast Solars. Sponsored by Victorian wind farms.

Almalfio will be all over ideas like these. Quite the low altitude abusive of the future. Will cricket have him back?

• Haha