#lolNorf | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

#lolNorf

ceehook2

Tiger Matchwinner
Feb 11, 2021
Interesting story that hasn't been told is that Luffy couldn't handle the calls from Boomer Harvey and his mates (including those employed by the club) demanding that his son be taken with North's first pick. Quite rightly Luffy advised the club that Boomer jnr is not good enough for such a lofty pick to be used.
We should have replied ‘your not Silvagni’

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
Two: the AFL, post-haste, works on a way to relegate North in a respectful and dignified way. They go back to playing at Arden Street, join the VFL and retain their heritage. An all-new, from-the-ground-up Tassie team takes North's spot in an 18-team competition.

The more I think about it the more I think this is the best solution. North hasn't got and will never have the supporter base to properly survive in the AFL.

Reactions: 1 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The more I think about it the more I think this is the best solution. North hasn't got and will never have the supporter base to properly survive in the AFL.

I think relocation is the better long term option. Swans have kept their history and club identity for the most part. They were relocated at a time when it was much harder to stay in touch with their traditional fanbase.

Relocate & Merger. Lions fans would tell you that for the most part they feel they have lost their club.

Had North relocated to the Gold Coast back in, 2007 I think, there's a fair chance they would have established themselves better than GCS have and you'd have those under ~18yo supporting them as their local team. Good chance they would be a lot better off financially.

Given the option of a merger, relocation or demotion to VFL, I reckon relocation is the lesser of the three evils. The only caveat would be if Richmond was part of a merger and we kept our colours, our song, our Tiger, Punt Road and our name, then it might be more palatable.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
I think relocation is the better long term option.
Relocate to where?

Tassie doesn't want them. North doesn't want to shift to Tassie. Lose/lose situation.

NT is a long way from having its own team. Canberra makes a bit of sense, but undoes a lot of work done by GWS.

The relocation narrative doesn't appear to have a logical end point.

Reactions: 2 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Relocate to where?

Tassie doesn't want them. North doesn't want to shift to Tassie. Lose/lose situation.

NT is a long way from having its own team. Canberra makes a bit of sense, but undoes a lot of work done by GWS.

The relocation narrative doesn't appear to have a logical end point.

And maybe that's the problem #lolNorf have now. The Gold Coast option is no longer there. Tassie has gained a lot of momentum that the option to relocate there if probably shut now.

I just read that Richmond stopped a merger between Fitzroy and lolNorf back in the 90's. I wasn't in Aus at the time so I really know nothing about that.

Reactions: 1 user

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
Canberra was the place to relocate the Kangas to if they were going to go anywhere.

Big AFL following in the ACT with a decent comp.

Manuka is a good facility right smack bang in Manuka village next to Forrest with cafes restaurants and shopping plus 2 or 3 big Hotels within a 500 m walk to the ground.

Is just a hop skip and a jump away perfect for weekends away for the fans.

Canberra has a shitt tonne of kangaroos there too so fits nicely.

Canberra Kangas would've likely worked better than Tassie or Kwee Lan.

Taswegians on the whole already have strong VFL/AFL allegiances, and would only embrace their very own side, even then most would still be loyal to their Vic Teams and just support the Tassie side as a second team.

Canberra wouldnt have had that issue to the same level.

Last edited:

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Taswegians on the whole already have strong VFL/AFL allegiances, and would only embrace their very own side, even then most would still be loyal to their Vic Teams and just support the Tassie side as a second team.
I keep hearing that but it would only be true for the current generation of supporters. The bulk of the next generation will get behind their local team.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
I keep hearing that but it would only be true for the current generation of supporters. The bulk of the next generation will get behind their local team.
Correct they will transition from a majority second team to the Primary focus but will take a bit of time.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Correct they will transition from a majority second team to the Primary focus but will take a bit of time.

Tasmania remember. They can have each head supporting a different team.

• Haha

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Well, dunno if true or not but I said in the Round 12 games thread that he was gonna get the sack this year. So yes, I have sacked him. Confirmed.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
AFL should take the AFL licence off the club, fold it, and give the licence to Tassie. Maybe on the condition they call the new team the Tassie Kangaroos.

Reactions: 1 user