Lowlife of the week award. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Lowlife of the week award.

Midsy said:
I live in the UK, and I've seen every Grand Designs episode about 8 times.

It's simply about preserving what's there, and making sure any new additions are true to the history of the place.

Screw history, you reckon?

It's not about screwing history. In fact it's the opposite. If these 'heritage' authorities had any respect for history, then why haven't they maintained these buildings over the years? Instead, they've let them fall into complete disrepair and then have the nerve to open their mouths when someone wants to restore these places and make a home out of them. If it wasn't for these people wanting a home, some of these 'heritage' listed buildings would be not much more than a pile of stone on the ground within a few years. If you want to talk about preserving history, then point the finger at the 'heritage' authorities who have let these buildings crumble in the first place. That's right, they won't spend a cent to maintain these places preferring to let them crumble into history but want their say if someone wants to restore them and add some modern touches.

Who's the lowlife of the week now?

1eyedtiger said:
It's not about screwing history. In fact it's the opposite. If these 'heritage' authorities had any respect for history, then why haven't they maintained these buildings over the years? Instead, they've let them fall into complete disrepair and then have the nerve to open their mouths when someone wants to restore these places and make a home out of them. If it wasn't for these people wanting a home, some of these 'heritage' listed buildings would be not much more than a pile of stone on the ground within a few years. If you want to talk about preserving history, then point the finger at the 'heritage' authorities who have let these buildings crumble in the first place. That's right, they won't spend a cent to maintain these places preferring to let them crumble into history but want their say if someone wants to restore them and add some modern touches.

Who's the lowlife of the week now?

Nice bit of maintenance and restoration going on.

1476906315936.jpg

Yes, I should have donated some of my money to these developers.....

And Heritage Victoria should also pay for the restoration of any heritage listed property purchased by developers...makes sense to me....

Police should also pay my speeding fines as well....

Maybe have a read through English Heritage's Annual report.

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/content/AboutUs/EH_Annual_Report___Accounts_1516.pdf

Or maybe it's easier to take pot shots from Oz...?

Maybe a few of you should look into the very meaning of 'heritage'? I happen to value the 'heritage' of the area I live in. The nice leafy outer east of Melbourne which if you bothered to look beyond Glen Waverly you'd find is being turned into a sardine can ghetto of townhouses block by block, combined with poor public transport so everyone relies on cars and then the powers that be with their collective heads in the sand can't understand where all the traffic congestion comes from. Well, DUH! It's not just the east. The north and the west is much the same.

But maintaining the 'heritage' of outer suburbs doesn't have the same political clout as the 'heritage' of places like Kew or Camberwell, does it?

Midsy, I'll read your link when I have time but I stand by my comments that from what I've seen, they've done very little to restore historic buildings to their original condition and in many cases, left them to crumble. If the buildings they've let crumble had any historic value, then they've been grossly negligent in maintaining these buildings.

As for the eyesore demolished in Melbourne, maybe we should wait until they're actually built something there before judgement? I bet if it was for a new road, there wouldn't be any complaints at all. Maybe they should build a car park there. That'll make everyone happy.

Heritage seems to be a very 'selective' term depending on your motives.

1eyedtiger said:
As for the eyesore demolished in Melbourne, maybe we should wait until they're actually built something there before judgement? I bet if it was for a new road, there wouldn't be any complaints at all. Maybe they should build a car park there. That'll make everyone happy.

They knocked it down without permission. Heritage aside, they didn't abide by the rules. Imagine if everyone just started knocking *smile* down whenever they wanted...!

Midsy said:
They knocked it down without permission. Heritage aside, they didn't abide by the rules. Imagine if everyone just started knocking sh!t down whenever they wanted...!

We'd have less run down, derelict buildings that should have been demolished decades ago. And in my local area, developers are doing just that. Tearing down perfectly good homes on large blocks so they can cram them full of dog box townhouses 40kms from Melbourne. Where are the heritage listings out here to protect the character of my local area? No, heritage listings are really only for those who decide these listings and don't want development in their backyard. Everyone else can fend for themselves against local councils who are in with property developers and couldn't care less.
And then there's the lack of public transport out here forcing people to rely on cars and the powers that be who have their collective heads in the sand and can't understand where all the traffic congestion comes from. Well, DUH!

Tigertim, all motorists have to obey the road rules. The rules are clearly defined, even when rules for different types of vehicles differ. Your analogy would be more akin to pulling a rusted out wreck from the bottom of a dam, having some organization arbitrarily deem the wreck a 'classic vehicle' and making you spend thousands extra to restore it to their specification, right down to the paint colour.

And this is my point. Heritage listings are more or less arbitrary.

1eyedtiger said:
Tigertim, all motorists have to obey the road rules. The rules are clearly defined, even when rules for different types of vehicles differ. Your analogy would be more akin to pulling a rusted out wreck from the bottom of a dam, having some organization arbitrarily deem the wreck a 'classic vehicle' and making you spend thousands extra to restore it to their specification, right down to the paint colour.

And this is my point. Heritage listings are more or less arbitrary.
All rules/laws are arbitrary. We know when we drive on the road we have to follow whatever speed limit is "arbitrarily" placed.

When we buy a heritage listed property we follow whatever arbitrary laws that come with it.

I take one-eyed's point. Heritage laws can be irrational, arbitrary and dumb. Here in Brisbane they are a disgrace. Unless the listing is clear and widely accepted, you can get around it if you have the $$. I've seen normal non-wealthy people go through hell trying to do an extension on an uninteresting cottage, and I've seen developers bulldoze grand old landmark houses. Its always a difficult issue, part of me thinks people should be allowed to use their property as they see fit, (within reason), but also some heritage should be clearly protected. This seems like a pretty clear case, both in terms of the listing, 160 years old! who could argue with that?, and in terms of the developers showing complete contempt for laws and values.

I'm not sure that the pub was heritage listed is the main issue. It was every other law/rule/good practice that they breached that are the issues. When business and unions are on the same side of a dispute, then something has gone awry.

Yeah, agree the fact it was heritage listed makes it worse but what they did was wrong. It looks like everyone that might be able to fine them will be

more like lowlifes of the year. The Wild Brothers. So sad, but understandable, to see the girl these bastards (allegedly) raped is too scared to face the trial. I am so sad and angry right now. Heartbroken for the girl and her family. I can't imagine how they would feel.

Just watched it on Sunday Night.

Appco Group...you *smile* scumbag scammers. In relation to our club, 93% of whatever money we donated to the Alannah and Madeline Foundation has gone into the pockets of these fatcat bastards.

TigerForce said:

Appco Group...you *smile*ing scumbag scammers. In relation to our club, 93% of whatever money we donated to the Alannah and Madeline Foundation has gone into the pockets of these fatcat bastards.

What's this about?

TigerForce said:

Appco Group...you *smile*ing scumbag scammers. In relation to our club, 93% of whatever money we donated to the Alannah and Madeline Foundation has gone into the pockets of these fatcat bastards.

Haven't got a clue what that's about TF. Could you please elaborate?

rosy3 said:
Haven't got a clue what that's about TF. Could you please elaborate?

https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/a/36038374/former-appco-workers-expose-insights-of-company-making-millions-from-charity-donations/#page1

Google sunday night appco for more info.

These a-holes are distributors of the Allanah & Madeline Foundation (and other charities around Australia), and Ch 7's Sunday Night exposed that their fineprint states 93% of all donations go to Appco whereas the remaining 7% goes to the charity itself.

TigerForce said:
https://au.news.yahoo.com/sunday-night/features/a/36038374/former-appco-workers-expose-insights-of-company-making-millions-from-charity-donations/#page1

Google sunday night appco for more info.

These a-holes are distributors of the Allanah & Madeline Foundation (and other charities around Australia), and Ch 7's Sunday Night exposed that their fineprint states 93% of all donations go to Appco whereas the remaining 7% goes to the charity itself.

I watched it. Unbelievable, the way the executives carry on. Multi millionaires, the worst of all it was founded by an Aussie. How governments allow this complete rort to exist beggars belief.
They gave an example of the Australian Para Olympics team? Fundraising that raised $12 million in Australia. Once Appco took their cut, there was only $500k left for the team.
They went on to say that those organisations were happy because it was $500k they didn't have to start with.
People are donating their hard earned to charities believing it was going to a good cause. Meanwhile less than 7% in most cases actually gets there. Bloody thieving con artists.
One of the better exposes (exposay)