Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK
If we are considering making changes to our conditioning team then we had better not be looking members of the West Coast conditioning team as they are in a worse position than us

Ghost of 29

Handball - its just a fad!!
Aug 16, 2008
I see it as a real balancing act. It's a bloody long season now 23 games + finals. The goal has to be having a fit squad who are peaking coming into September. Of course you have to get there first.
This has been stated by Dimma previously but IMO it is plain dumb. You can do it non contact sports where you can continue to get volume of training in each week, but with footy even at lower levels, the first 3 days post game are recovering and trying to get the body moving again. That leaves 1 proper footy session and 1-2 gym sessions. At best they are maintaining preseason fitness levels, they would not be able to get in the volume of work to increase fitness levels to anything meaningful or sustained.
As an old fitness guy from Saints told me many years ago, players have to get in heaps of running and gym over summer to even consider being fit enough to play AFL in April. And by heaps he meant 3 runs and 3 gyms plus any football.

T-Shirt Tommy

Have you got the oven on?
Apr 11, 2011
With Gibcus having yet another setback, it raises yet another question regarding our injury management.

How many players have we had this year supposedly fully recovered from injury only to be sidelined again for weeks?

From memory we've had:

Gibcus
Soldo
Graham
Campbell
Tarrant

Have I missed any?

Is this purely bad luck or poor injury management? I genuinely have no idea about injury recovery so don't know one way or another.

I haven't included one off injuries as they happen at every club, this is more focused on re-injured players.

Reactions: 1 users

rioli82

Tiger Matchwinner
Apr 28, 2004
With Gibcus having yet another setback, it raises yet another question regarding our injury management.

How many players have we had this year supposedly fully recovered from injury only to be sidelined again for weeks?

From memory we've had:

Gibcus
Soldo
Graham
Campbell
Tarrant

Have I missed any?

Is this purely bad luck or poor injury management? I genuinely have no idea about injury recovery so don't know one way or another.

I haven't included one off injuries as they happen at every club, this is more focused on re-injured players.
There is only so much bad luck you can have. Surely questions are being asked internally!!!

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
I clearly remember the interview where Meehan said the operation meant Josh wouldn't reinjure the hamstring again. Admitedly in a different spot but you have to wonder if they've rushed him back to quickly. There's waay too much smoke among players getting re-injured. We've never seen anything like this.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
I clearly remember the interview where Meehan said the operation meant Josh wouldn't reinjure the hamstring again. Admitedly in a different spot but you have to wonder if they've rushed him back to quickly. There's waay too much smoke among players getting re-injured. We've never seen anything like this.
Not sure if rushed is the right word as it’s now round 9 & he injured it mid pre season , I would more think not rehabilitated properly might suit better

• Sad
Reactions: 2 users

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004

From memory we've had:

Gibcus
Soldo
Graham
Campbell
Tarrant

Have I missed any?

Short and Lynch as well.

Ceaser kept telling us how disjointed the preseason was, how many guys were in rehab and that trend has continued all year.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Time to get serious & spend some coin & poach someone or find the best ! Such a crucial part of the club & clearly it all can’t be bad luck.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Little problem with bringing back injured players is that you have to push the recovered injury back to virtually breaking point in an attempt to make sure it's strong enough to handle the load of actual game pressure. There's a very thin line between success and failure of the process. So far we're just coming down on the wrong side of that line, frustrating as hell but not much can be done about it.
Almost thinking we're at the point where we should be wrapping the Gibber up in cotton wool for a while, get him ready for a big fat pre season and bring him back all shiny n new for next year. Not sure it'll be a wise move keeping the youngster rehabbing n pushing to get back this year, keeping him on the fringe of niggles and injury for such a long period at the start of his career.

tigers80

Tiger Legend
Jul 7, 2004
is it a case of pay peanuts get monkeys.
monkeys GIF

waiting

Tiger Legend
Apr 15, 2007
Victoria
I would consider the conditioning person responsible for the Lions.

Not many injuries.

Seem to get their players right before bringing them in.

Thoughts people?

Reactions: 1 user

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Tom Lynch back in a moonboot! Was meant to start running again on the alter G this week and Kaleb Smith out for the year.

HTF has Meehan not be moved on yet?

The evidence of incompetence grows every day.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
I would consider the conditioning person responsible for the Lions.

Not many injuries.

Seem to get their players right before bringing them in.

Thoughts people?
They're doing something right up there, 2nd on the AFL ladder, and on top (undefeated) in the VFL.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
They're doing something right up there, 2nd on the AFL ladder, and on top (undefeated) in the VFL.
Not too long ago that was us. It will change quickly for them at some point too. I can just imagine their supporter forums in a couple of years going “apart from Ashcroft we have no decent kids coming through”. “All our players are injured”. “Fagan has lost the players”.