Luke Meehan and Conditioning team | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Luke Meehan and Conditioning team

scooty1986

Tiger Cub
Oct 3, 2023
Meehan is a double agent being paid by hardwick to create false injuries so sun's can get them for cheap

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Is it the end of year yet?
I want this entire Dept fired.
We all know they have butchered injury management. Right royally.

Would like to add the players fitness.
Butchered.
They have started very well in nearly all games (minus week zero v Gc in the camel heat).
Many times in front at half time.
Only to completely peter out in the second half just like last night.
Do S & C know it's 120 mins not 60?
They must not be training in the right way.
Can't see too many more wins in the horizon with this level of fitness.

Must be ok though because the Chief hasn't said boo.
Maybe he still has his head under the bonnet!

Reactions: 3 users

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
This is just a reminder to everyone, it's round 7. The side looked cooked from the start of the season, carried over from the previous season (despite not having played finals).

Reactions: 1 users

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
"Tight bandaging", "problems with scans"......some of Oooze's comments are telling.

Something seems to be not quite right. Coach seems to know it. If the players themselves feel as if they can't trust the S&C team then we do have a problem...

Reactions: 4 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
We saw another example of mismanagement last night. Hopper grabbed at his hamstring and his body language indicated that he’d felt it go twang. The doctor goes out, has a chat to him, then leaves him on the ground. The commentary team were gobsmacked. The player has an injury history and has just returned. We’ve got an unused sub on the bench. But no, we won’t take him off, we’ll just leave him there until he does it good and proper, which he predictably did. We were gonna lose him from the moment he did it, but why leave him on the ground to make it worse. Hard questions need to be asked.

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
I think some of you are hearing what you want to hear, what Uze said was. "we're having a bit of trouble with (what, uhm) the results of our scans n stuff".

I'd interpret that as the scans constantly coming back with bad news, which checks out when you look at our injury list.

Reactions: 6 users

tiger3000

Tiger Cub
Apr 11, 2011
Agr
I think some of you are hearing what you want to hear, what Uze said was. "we're having a bit of trouble with (what, uhm) the results of our scans n stuff".

I'd interpret that as the scans constantly coming back with bad news, which checks out when you look at our injury list.
Agree that's how I heard it too.

Side note: regardless, I still think someone or someones are butchering their job re: fitness and injuries

Reactions: 1 user

Wildride

Tiger Superstar
Sep 6, 2006
Brisbane

Exactly - it was “touch wood it’s a minor one” then saying that scans have been coming back worse than they were expecting.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Like others have mentioned. We started the season with no energy.
The half against GC was a joke.
If any other person performed so poorly in any job, they would be unemployed.
This is the problem when you get coaches like Yze. They don't bring there own people.
What ever happened to the bloke that worked at Collingwood under Malthouse X Richmond player, Buffient?
The Adelaide bloke is the best but we seem to never go for the best we go for the John West types.
If I was President Meehan wouldn't be at the club Monday

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Is it the end of year yet?
I want this entire Dept fired.
We all know they have butchered injury management. Right royally.

Would like to add the players fitness.
Butchered.
They have started very well in nearly all games (minus week zero v Gc in the camel heat).
Many times in front at half time.
Only to completely peter out in the second half just like last night.
Do S & C know it's 120 mins not 60?
They must not be training in the right way.
Can't see too many more wins in the horizon with this level of fitness.

Must be ok though because the Chief hasn't said boo.
Maybe he still has his head under the bonnet!
I reckon this is more to do with football ability than fitness. Struggling teams can often keep up for a while then fall away as better teams adjust. It also takes more effort to play good football when you are not a good team.

Not saying we are fitter than others, but that it is hard to judge at this point.

Reactions: 3 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My physiotherapist has been head Physio at an AFL club for 20 plus years. Life member. Premierships. Head Physio of VIC state of origin teams too. I asked him yesterday his thoughts on our physical performance area, the insane amount of injuries we keep getting year after year. This is what he said.

Essentially, he reckons we might be working at the far end of what’s a bad system in the AFL right now, but that everyone’s grappling with it, just that perhaps we’re not managing or controlling it as well as others. I’ll try and explain. It revolves around 3 areas or stages of high risk.

He reckons it starts in the pre season. He said the work clubs do is repeat-power based a lot more nowadays, and that can start problems rolling. He thinks clubs are over doing it a bit in that space.

He then reckons that when you get to pre season game time (February) a second set of issues arise. Clubs are loath to play their guys too much, in too much competition, because they don’t want them getting injured. But he says clubs then roll into the start of the season with guys that really aren’t as match fit as they probably should be (his view) and as a result, they encounter this second stage of break down risk upon season commencement. He reckons they’re getting players to go from 0-100 kph in 3 secs on a luke warm engine. He felt it was better to play guys a minimum of 3 decent practice games against genuine opposition using a minimum of 70% or so game time rather than just one game like many clubs do with their players or 2 games for 3 quarters or whatever. Bit old school maybe, but I could understand. A lot of retired players bring this up as a reason for a lot of early season injuries.

The third stage of risk comes when you are putting rehabilitated players back out on the park. He said gone are the days when medical and fitness people had their own businesses and weren’t conflicted by bonuses by their sole employer for having low rates of players missing games. They’re trying to hit targets that maybe they shouldn’t be if that makes sense. He felt this conflict also extended into the stage 2 I mentioned above.

Anyway, he reckons it’s something every club is dealing with and that at the end of the day it takes a really strong and experienced Head of Football or Head of Physical Performance to see through things, and keep things in balance.

Note: that’s his view, not necessarily mine so no need for anyone to get in a flap and pick the eyes out if it which is common on PRE. It’s just an objective, outside view from someone that works in the industry and has seen and done it all that I’m just passing on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 23 users

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
What did Yze mean when he said after the game “we’re having trouble with our scans ‘n stuff” ??
I think he was pointing to the fact every time a player seems to get a scan they are finding injuries more severe than expected or something along those lines.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
I think he was pointing to the fact every time a player seems to get a scan they are finding injuries more severe than expected or something along those lines.
Or is that we get scans, find the issue, then further scans down the track show something else ? Ie something worse or a bit different to what was initially diagnosed ? Maybe time time to change radiologists ?

Speaking of which, not 100% sure, but don’t Geelong have an on site radiologist at GMHBA ? I think it’s branded I-Med but I think they have immediate access to it such that they can run scans at a whim, there and then, whenever they want. Before, during after training etc. If so, you’d have to think that’d provide superior injury management.

Not sure if that’s the case or not but I thought I saw it in the background a few weeks ago when Dangerfield was being interviewed just outside the entry to the ground, a big I-Med sign and facility.