Marriage Equality | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Marriage Equality

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Giardiasis said:
Guess what Brodders, people should be free to discriminate along those lines too.

in your world people with power can discriminate against those who dont. im glad we dont live in that world.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Brodders17 said:
in your world people with power can discriminate against those who dont. im glad we dont live in that world.
Everyone discriminates Brodders. It is an unavoidable reality of social cooperation. You don't reduce racism by enacting the sort of laws you support. You give it fertile ground to grow.

In my world people have the freedom to choose who they associate with and who they enter agreements with (i.e. voluntary cooperation). In your world, people are compelled to interact with those they do not want to. This does wonders to the racist cause, as it provides a real injustice for them to rally behind. They are much better at organising themselves then the marxists because they are a much more homogeneous group. Then bad sh!t really ramps up. Allow racists to not associate with people they don't wish to and they will be hit financially where it counts, and they will have nothing to complain about.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
KnightersRevenge said:
Weak. He said he'd support it if the people did. They did. He didn't. Simples.
The people were asked about protections for those that don’t want to marry gay couples? That’s news to me?

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Giardiasis said:
The people were asked about protections for those that don’t want to marry gay couples? That’s news to me?

Not what he said Gia. He said he'd follow the people's choice and vote in the parliament as directed by the people. He was given the chance to be as good as his word and for the umpteenth time in his political career his word proved to be worthless.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Harry said:
Based on logic used incest should be legal. #Equalty. Polygamy also. Everyone has the right to get married. Marriage equality for all.

What do you think the marriage law should be?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Brodders17 said:
Fair enough.

Do you think people should be able to marry their children? or their pets? or their doormats?

Adult children yes. Applying same logic ie consenting adults.

Also a man should be allowed to have more than 1 wife. Woman more than 1 husband.

Pets and doormats? Dunno. Why not.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Harry said:

Also a man should be allowed to have more than 1 wife. Woman more than 1 husband.

You need to divorce the civil act from the social one for this to make sense. (Pardon the pun...or don't )
There is a legal status attached to marriage by the state for the protection of children, spouses, collection of taxes etc. Does the doormat get half in the break-up? Do you have to pay alimony to Hammy the Hamster?

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Giardiasis said:
Did he? Can you provide evidence please?

Going off memory ATM. I'll have a look through his transcripts to see if I can find it. He was pretty careful from what I've read of his early interviews to commit the parliament to act on the people's recommendation without extending to a personal committment. I may be conflating the two.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
KnightersRevenge said:
You need to divorce the civil act from the social one for this to make sense. (Pardon the pun...or don't )
There is a legal status attached to marriage by the state for the protection of children, spouses, collection of taxes etc. Does the doormat get half in the break-up? Do you have to pay alimony to Hammy the Hamster?
Love is love KR, #equality. You sound like someone that’s arguing against SSM.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Harry said:

Fair enough. What about children? Should there be a legal age for marriage? And should this apply to someone's own child?

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Giardiasis said:
Love is love KR, #equality. You sound like someone that’s arguing against SSM.

I'm a complex person Gia. ;D Agree completely on love. I'm married. I love my wife. We married only because it was important to her. I was committed to our relationship with or without the paperwork, not very romantic I know but there you have it. Unfortunately marriage is tied up in all that other stuff. But I don't see the point in denying it to people who want it, either.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
I don’t think the law should prevent it, but neither should it compel it. #governmentoutofmarriage. Doesn’t have the same ring to it unfortunately.

KnightersRevenge

Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
Giardiasis said:
I don’t think the law should prevent it, but neither should it compel it. #governmentoutofmarriage. Doesn’t have the same ring to it unfortunately.

And that is consistent with your #governmentoutofeverything stance. I can see the merits of both arguments.

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Giardiasis said:

I could agree with that. unfortunately it wasnt part of the postal survey. and is a long way from being up for debate.