Matt Coulthard | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matt Coulthard

This week was better, but he doesn't get much of the ball despite all the running. Jack Dyer had a saying about that.
Apart from the fact that we've got a bunch of players often not getting much of the ball at seniors anyway. Don't need much ball if ya do good things with it pretty much every time ya get it. Got plenty of players around who don't do much or worse outright butcher it when they do get it.

Reactions: 2 users
Seems to be the forgotten man
This is what Morro had to say about his game

Matthew Coulthard (13 disposals, three marks, three goals)
“It’s quite extraordinary to see the work rate and the numbers that he’s putting up from a GPS point of view each and every week. We really benefitted from his run up and down the wings at different stages. He played team-first footy, but also hit the scoreboard heavily with three goals.”

Weve only won 1 AFL game
Cmon Livingstone give Coulthard a go
3 disposals came in one play
Coulthard gathers on the half back flank , kicks to the wing , has kept running gets it back , kicks it inside F50 , kept running
gets it again and goals , he covered some serious territory , just seemed to glide

I saw another play where he was in beautiful crumbing position , was marked .

From an AFL perspective you'd probably like to see a little more hands on leather at VFL level
but he looks clean and not rushed and gets goals and goal assists.
and he's still relatively new in the VFL team

I'm predicting when he gets his chance in the top team he'll stick there

Reactions: 5 users
Coulthard gathers on the half back flank , kicks to the wing , has kept running gets it back , kicks it inside F50 , kept running
gets it again and goals , he covered some serious territory , just seemed to glide
Now that was a serious pretty passage of play from Coulthard. Owned the bloody paddock.

Reactions: 1 user

I saw another play where he was in beautiful crumbing position , was marked .

From an AFL perspective you'd probably like to see a little more hands on leather at VFL level
but he looks clean and not rushed and gets goals and goal assists.
and he's still relatively new in the VFL team

I'm predicting when he gets his chance in the top team he'll stick there

He also kicked a nice crumbing goal from a forward 50 stoppage.

I think he will play this week. Campbell back in the reserves as alot of supporters have said, get that touch back.

This is what Morro said about Coulthard

Matthew Coulthard (13 disposals, three marks, three goals)

“It’s quite extraordinary to see the work rate and the numbers that he’s putting up from a GPS point of view each and every week. We really benefitted from his run up and down the wings at different stages. He played team-first footy, but also hit the scoreboard heavily with three goals.”

-Extraordinary work rate
-Really benefitted from his run up and down wings
-Team first footy
-Hits scoreboard heavily

What more is Coulthard supposed to do? Don’t think Livingstone really cares what Morro thinks he’ll just keep picking his fave Mansell

Reactions: 1 user
Coulthard stats game against Coburg
17D 11K 6HB 8M 1T 1G 0B
Ran up and down the wings presented well all day had a great game
what more is he supposed to do?

Reactions: 4 users
Coulthard stats game against Coburg
17D 11K 6HB 8M 1T 1G 0B
Ran up and down the wings presented well all day had a great game
what more is he supposed to do?

I enjoyed his game and was an advocate for him to come in this week in place of Campbell. I reckon he's not far away from getting games back in the 1's, and as with all the others, that should be for a bank of games.

Reactions: 1 users
I enjoyed his game and was an advocate for him to come in this week in place of Campbell. I reckon he's not far away from getting games back in the 1's, and as with all the others, that should be for a bank of games.
I only watched the 2nd half today. I was super impressed. His running into space is what we need. His chasing and closing down space is the 2nd best we have behind Maurice. His agility is off the charts. If Mansell does not play well tomorrow he should be replaced with Coulthard or even Cumbo. I would also like to see him tried on a wing. Kicking the ball over his head on a wing and then running onto it would be massive. Not many would catch him.

Today he got to the right positions and was used by his teammates. He's now put pressure on the one's. I think given his interrupted pre-season he had to play a game like today to get the nod for the seniors.

Reactions: 3 users
Building into some good form. If Campbell is ready for a spell in the 2s to refresh, I reckon Coulthard is the natural replacement.

Building into some good form. If Campbell is ready for a spell in the 2s to refresh, I reckon Coulthard is the natural replacement.
No problems with rotation of our young kids should have been this week. Both Campbell and Mansell our smalls out of form.

• Dislike
It is worth remembering Coulthard had an interrupted preseason, was unavailable for the 1st couple of games, played 1 good game in the VFL, then got injured in his 2nd and missed the following week. He has played 2 good games since returning. If he is fit he should probably come in this week, if we can find a spot for him.

It is worth remembering Coulthard had an interrupted preseason, was unavailable for the 1st couple of games, played 1 good game in the VFL, then got injured in his 2nd and missed the following week. He has played 2 good games since returning. If he is fit he should probably come in this week, if we can find a spot for him.
Find a spot and change a losing combination
Why would we do that?

Was going to write pretty much this. Would just add that against Casey his GPS numbers were "off the charts " (according to Morro) but his positioning and when to go up and back not quite there. These items were markedly better vs Coburg. I'd say he gets a go now.

Reactions: 1 users
But hasn't Coulthard been improving while playing wing where his assets like referred to by Morro really come to the fore.

So could also easily replace Banks who has been fairly meh.