Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Tigers of Old said:
No 1 asset at the club right now.
Sure is. We haven’t had a top 10 pick for quite some time. Becomes super important we nail every pick.

St Kevin

Tiger Legend
Apr 1, 2014
FJ nailed our first rounders (Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Edwards, Vlastuin etc.) but Clarke seems to have a particular affinity for later/rookie draft picks. When you haven't got high picks, that's a necessity to stay competitive.

Blind Faith

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
St Kevin said:
FJ nailed our first rounders (Cotchin, Rance, Riewoldt, Martin, Edwards, Vlastuin etc.) but Clarke seems to have a particular affinity for later/rookie draft picks. When you haven't got high picks, that's a necessity to stay competitive.

From memory I don’t think Edwards was 1st round.

B

Bill James

St Kevin said:
If I recall, Rance was a compo pick at the end of the first round but was our second pick

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Is a very good recruiter , prefer if he flew under radar so no one knocks him off , already lost one to wb as their chief recruiter

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
BillyJean17 said:
Is a very good recruiter , prefer if he flew under radar so no one knocks him off , already lost one to wb as their chief recruiter

Surely we can counter-offer if we want to keep any valued staff member? Afraid of matching budgets with the WB? 100K members v. 40K! Same goes for Cartoon or virtually any other club really. We are no longer haunted, poor and weak.

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
leon said:
Surely we can counter-offer if we want to keep any valued staff member? Afraid of matching budgets with the WB? 100K members v. 40K! Same goes for Cartoon or virtually any other club really. We are no longer haunted, poor and weak.

Everyone has an ego, Dan Richardson & Nick Austin included

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
leon said:
There's a cap on footy dept spending these days. Go over budget n the AFL tax ya at 75% for every dollar over. Stopping the rich clubs from pursuing elite programs. Every nuffer can afford to have a new model T ford in whatever colour they like as long as it's black.

Tigerfan

Roar Power
Apr 28, 2004
Gold Coast (SE - QLD).
TigerMasochist said:
There's a cap on footy dept spending these days. Go over budget n the AFL tax ya at 75% for every dollar over. Stopping the rich clubs from pursuing elite programs. Every nuffer can afford to have a new model T ford in whatever colour they like as long as it's black.

Stop clubs having their stupid Arizona altitude camps

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
SCOOP said:
Here's some mail.

Clarke couldn't work with Jackson much longer, vehemently disagreed with the direction of our first round picks. Clarke was one of the key people pushing for a change in type. This change has been in the works for about four months, Clarke has presented a entirely new direction to the footy department and Gale on what we value and why. This may be a internal promotion but it is a new direction, new thought process and the position has been earned. Hine was sought after but wasn't going to move.

If this is true, then I'm willing to reserve judgement until this years draft.

Clarke certainly has changed what we value. He's judgment is spot on right now. I'm as confident in a Richmond recruiting team as I ever have been.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm more confident than I ever have been, Scoops. Clarke is shooting the eyes out of draft after draft.

Scoop

Tiger Legend
Dec 8, 2004
spook said:
I'm more confident than I ever have been, Scoops. Clarke is shooting the eyes out of draft after draft.

Yeah that's fair too, It's a strange feeling but now, we can knit pick but as far as the list build has gone since end of season 2016, it's just about faultless.

Not one glaring deficiency in the list.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
we will need a star mid ready to go in 3 years, when Cotch and Dusty have slowed. But unlikely to get one at pick 18, so i'm happy with the direction we are taking.

The potential list gap is a key tall defender. This year is a crux to see if Garth has the speed to play AFL, he seems to have all the other traits.
And Miller has the size and speed, but who knows if he can make it.
Another Balta this year would be handy!

Certainly not doom and gloom, and agree that we can have confidence in the program.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
tigerdell said:
we will need a star mid ready to go in 3 years, when Cotch and Dusty have slowed. But unlikely to get one at pick 18, so i'm happy with the direction we are taking.

The potential list gap is a key tall defender. This year is a crux to see if Garth has the speed to play AFL, he seems to have all the other traits.
And Miller has the size and speed, but who knows if he can make it.
Another Balta this year would be handy!

Certainly not doom and gloom, and agree that we can have confidence in the program.

Hows Brander going over in the West maybe we can entice him to come home

Tiger Superstar
Feb 28, 2008
Terrific podcast episode on Road to the Draft with Matty Clarke on the website that cant be named.
Talks about U18 and U16 champs, how the club came to nab Sydney Stack on the cheap, how the class of Nov 18 are progressing, etc etc.
Well worth a listen.
He is an impressive guy Matt, and imho we are fortunate to have him in the top job.

Reactions: 4 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Terrific podcast episode on Road to the Draft with Matty Clarke on the website that cant be named.
Talks about U18 and U16 champs, how the club came to nab Sydney Stack on the cheap, how the class of Nov 18 are progressing, etc etc.
Well worth a listen.
He is an impressive guy Matt, and imho we are fortunate to have him in the top job.
Close to the best interview I have ever heard from a draft insight perspective and Matt also covers the progress of all our recent draftees.
For example viewing training for RCD, (missing a few sessions here and there), and a bit of a struggle to get contest to contest in his VFL games I sort of questioned how Riley was coping with the workload in his first year, all makes sense after listening to podcast.
Also touches on MRj and reading between the lines, Matt was being politically correct in his assessment of where MRJ is at at present and maybe not too far away from mine?.

As mentioned above do yourself a favour and go listen to podcast:

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users