Matthew Clarke | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Clarke

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
spook said:
It's almost impossible to get a recruiter to change clubs any time other than the period after the draft and before the next season. I would not be surprised if we bring someone else in after the draft. Regardless, without knowing Clarke's personal preferences at each draft pick we've had (we've read he wanted Cripps ahead of Lennon - anyone know any others?) none of us can judge one way or the other.
The Cripps over Lennon as well as other preferences of his may be the reason he was givin the promotion, I'll hope he is the right choice, he may have also had more say in the past couple of drafts, as the recruiting strategy appears to have changed. No matter what FJ should have gone years back.

There was a lot of talk we did approach Hine, so I'd imagine they have done there due diligence on this one.

K3

Tiger Legend
Oct 9, 2006
CC TIGER said:
The Cripps over Lennon as well as other preferences of his may be the reason he was givin the promotion, I'll hope he is the right choice, he may have also had more say in the past couple of drafts, as the recruiting strategy appears to have changed. No matter what FJ should have gone years back.

There was a lot of talk we did approach Hine, so I'd imagine they have done there due diligence on this one.

Hopefully it wasn't a case of "damn, Hine said no go... Hmmm...errr... Can someone see if Matthew will be interested...?"

While this is taking a negative view of it, there is a chance that we got knocked back by all-and-sundry before promoting Clarke, but as you say CC, hopefully he turns out to be a gun, and there is a chance he will.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
We may have ranked them and said "if we can't get x, y or z people, we're not getting a definitive upgrade on Frank so we might as well look inside."

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
K3 said:
Hopefully it wasn't a case of "damn, Hine said no go... Hmmm...errr... Can someone see if Matthew will be interested...?"

While this is taking a negative view of it, there is a chance that we got knocked back by all-and-sundry before promoting Clarke, but as you say CC, hopefully he turns out to be a gun, and there is a chance he will.
May have actually spoke to many and at the end of the day when Mr Wells said I'm very happy down here at Barwon Heads that we decided MC was the best candidate, who's to say he didn't get the nod over Hine and Hine wanted the gig

Tigertough1974

Tiger Champion
Oct 1, 2013
Even though FJ did the RFC quick overview last night, it appeared it was Clarkes draft, he was the man with the computer and he did all the lead up chats and discussions.

As people have said it can take years to know if you won or lost, given our relatively poor picks i am very pleased with the guys that will be joining. I think its quite possible that all 3 could play for 10 plus years, time will tell but i don't think anyone can say we were predictable!

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
Good start by Clarke, absolutely no complaints and he extracted value at every pick.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Even the final one Bully?

That kicking style looks terminal to leysy.

Cant see it standing up to the pressure of AFL footy.

Just look at Nathan Broads, who is also technically flawed but not close to the extent of Garthwaite's.

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Leysy Days said:
Even the final one Bully?

That kicking style looks terminal to leysy.

Cant see it standing up to the pressure of AFL footy.

Just look at Nathan Broads, who is also technically flawed but not close to the extent of Garthwaite's.

The two handed ball drop is an interesting case but I watched Garthwaite in the TAC GF and many of his kicks were under intense pressure but still found their mark, that's not to say AFL isn't a huge step up but if Darren Gaspar can become a dual AA player with a similar style then there's hope.

Chiang Mai Tiger

Time for some Tiger Payback
Jun 17, 2004
Thailand
bullus_hit said:
The two handed ball drop is an interesting case but I watched Garthwaite in the TAC GF and many of his kicks were under intense pressure but still found their mark

but were any of those kicks over 20m BH?

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
You have to give Clark a chance, there's been plenty of duds recruited by experts over the years

bullus_hit

Apr 3, 2006
Chiang Mai Tiger said:
but were any of those kicks over 20m BH?

They were, collected 24 touches for the day in a dominant performance. I posted his season stats on the Garthwaite thread but here's a recap.

bullus_hit said:
Just some key TAC stats for Garthwaite.

Kicking Efficiency - 71% (short kick, long kick ratio 1:1)
Disposal Efficiency - 74%
Average Disposals - 16.6

State Carnival - DE 88% from 2 matches although only averaged 9 disposal & 2 kicks a game.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
bullus_hit said:
The two handed ball drop is an interesting case but I watched Garthwaite in the TAC GF and many of his kicks were under intense pressure but still found their mark, that's not to say AFL isn't a huge step up but if Darren Gaspar can become a dual AA player with a similar style then there's hope.

Gaspar was one of the best defenders we have had. However his weakness was his kicking and ultimately Wallace looked to replace him as he was turning the ball over too often.

Players responded with "that" game against Geelong.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Giardiasis said:
71% kicking efficiency for a KPD is poor isn't it. I thought the average would be in the 80s?
Wonder how many players in the AFL would have a kicking efficiency of 80%.
Seems nowadays that if a disposal of any sort isn't a blatant turnover that it's deemed efficient. Players like Martin, Cotchin, Griffen, Johannisen etc can butcher the ball or kick to the wrong side of a contest as often as they like, but are still rated as elite users of the pill. Yet players that look ugly whilst still similarly efficient are stamped as hacks from day one.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Does leysy really need to explain to you why those guys you listed generally have a lower disposal efficiency %??

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
bullus_hit said:
Good start by Clarke, absolutely no complaints and he extracted value at every pick.

Agreed , good start and looking through what transpired during the night and with the benefit of 28 hours of consideration i think he really did well , Garth is the only player that perhaps has question marks with Sproul still available but overall pleased.

If we get 1 player thats 150 gamer its a win

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Leysy Days said:
Does leysy really need to explain to you why those guys you listed generally have a lower disposal efficiency %??
Stop rubbing your self indulgence Leysy.
I've constantly watched these blokes butcher *smile* out of the ball while in plenty of space n with time to burn, not deep under the pack as you love to insinuate all their possessions occur. Even Joburg in the Grannie this year hacked *smile* out of the ball on numerous occasions when he had time n space. Got yardage sometimes to a contest n often to an uncontested opponent, which saw the ball come back into his area for another mop up stat for the media experts to drool over, when a clean disposal in the first place would have been far more effective and advantageous to his team.

Young Garp may very well be a flop, I'll wait until he plays a few senior games before I dismiss him completely.

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Dear C80 friends,

Was Clarke running the 2016 draft or was Frank?

Love

Riot'Beer xx