Matthew Parker | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Matthew Parker

theglove3

Tiger Champion
Jun 3, 2003
Welcome to the lad.
Good Luck.
Any news on a number?
I think he was in 34 at both Aints and Sth Freo.
Given that number is Fridge Graham, I wonder what his second choice is.

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Yes. Turned us down and picked Brisbane.
Wise move
He wanted to play for Richmond and even offered to play for less than what he was offered at the Lions but wanted the 2 year deal that Brisbane had and we only gave him a 1 year deal.

Reactions: 1 users

turk-d-tiger

Welcome to Richmond Football Club - Daniel Rioli
Dec 1, 2007
melbourne
Whilst the celebrations are a bit cringe worthy and need to be tamed down , I was never a fan of Higgins celebrations specially a new player just felt wierd and mr bow and arrow Duursma also looks stupid.

Big Games important goals when the game is iced - Go for it
Higgins celebrates like that when his club is 40 pints down in the last - Knob

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Any goss on whether Parker was our primary target or we intended to take Sam Durham?
That's what I'm really curious about too but expect we'll never find out now. Someone in the meeja dubbed the Bummers 'Richmond Lite' - might have been Healy. They are seeking to duplicate us even more than the failed Colonwood and Aints models.

Saw in the Tuesday Hun, one of their players saying that, "Pressure is their one-wood"! Sounds familiar.

So we'll see how good a duplicate they're building on Sat. night I guess.

As for Parker, I was impressed with some flashes of brilliance I noticed playing for the Aints. Sounds very much like a true RFC mid-season selection. Lot of upside if he can put his head down and get to work. (But still wonder if Durham was a pick with genuine potential too).

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Parker was just interviewed on Dwaynes' World, will post when podcast is up.

Spoke a lot about doing the hard yards away from club after being delisted from St Kilda, letting his footy doing the talking and looking forward to working hard at the Tige's.

I reckon we might be on a winner.
Here's his interview:

Reactions: 3 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Can play
But
Someone would want to listen to why the reason the Saints got rid of him
Interesting selection

snags

Tiger Superstar
Oct 28, 2005
Think he can play half forward. George and Dan are struggling.
We have no one else in their places and he is better overhead and a tough nut.
Ideal player to keep Lever or Salem busy, or Rich or Stewart. Could be quite a win if that frees up one of our talls
and means we don't have to play 3 talls all the time at the expense of run and pressure.
I agree he is a Townsend choice and just what we are missing.
If you look at the losses to the top 3 sides you can see that what he brings up forward would make us goals better and opposition goals weaker.
Inspired choice.
Agreed there's that but the interesting part is how he's blossomed in the midfield and on the wing. Would be a great inclusion to the midfield/fwd rotation with Dusty, Shai et al. Hardwick's magnets will surely get a workout with another utility.

Reactions: 1 user

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yep.

Essendon so want to be us that they have taken our coaches, replicating our game plan and are targeting similar player types. No doubt they would have taken Parker if our interest was made public.
What Would Richmond Do? is paying off for Melbourne.

• We were keen on Salem, they drafted him
  • We gave Oliver a VFL game, they drafted him
  • They saw the effectiveness of our small forwards, drafted Kozi
  • They got Troy Chaplin and Choco Williams
No, very Tommy Shelby.

Here for it.
Only if he wears a flat cap.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Yeah in his Donk Russell interview he gave a pretty flaky reason for Stk delisting. Anyway. Let's see what happens.

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
If his celebrations are natural and not put on just annoy his opponents, why would you try to curb that? I dare say his exuberant celebrations flows through to his tackling and crashing bodies.
I agree the guy plays with some real exuberance, playing on etc we re lacking that from our robotic HF . There’s a role for this guy, the rest is up to him

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Can play
But
Someone would want to listen to why the reason the Saints got rid of him
Interesting selection
I’ll balance that with why they got rid of nick hind , if he couldn’t slot into their side I’ll be ,,,,

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
And what was the reason for the Saints getting rid of him???

a good mate of mine is a 3rd gen mad saint.

he reckons Parker didnt cope with Covid; lockdown and hubs.

reckons he has some real tricks and is a good pick up.

I expect those that published The Defects of Sydney Stack,

will sink the boots into Our M.P with a heap of *smile*, first chance they get too?

they'll be 'hearing' all sorts of things on the withered Grapevine of The Irrelevant.

Reactions: 8 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
a good mate of mine is a 3rd gen mad saint.

he reckons Parker didnt cope with Covid; lockdown and hubs.

reckons he has some real tricks and is a good pick up.

I expect those that published The Defects of Sydney Stack,

will sink the boots into Our M.P with a heap of *smile*, first chance they get too?

they'll be 'hearing' all sorts of things on the withered Grapevine of The Irrelevant.
It’s already started.

• Angry
Reactions: 1 users