Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
As much as i try to dampen the JNR Hype Meter I will just have to accept this concept has no place on this thread ;) :)
Haaarrrgh. Wasn't tryin to " hype " the kid caesar. First game in the magoos n there was simply a lot to like. Kids got all the guns in the weapon belt to grow into a fairly fancy footballer as long as he keeps the head clear n does the required hard work while growing up.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I'm on a strict program of not doubting Caesar after last year's Stack debacle, but I think the temptation to play him in the dreamtime game will prove too great, if nothing else.
Two Rioli's a Picket, Shedda n Shai n maybe even "wishfullin " a Stacka. Up in the Territory for another Dreamtime game. Bloody magical.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Watched the replay of his game expecting it not to live up to the hype, but I'm gonna crank it up I'm afraid. The kid's an absolute hurt machine - he just loves crashing bodies. I really didn't expect that kind of presence and swag. And his hands are sticky and sure. Perhaps live track watchers are seeing him struggle to keep up, but I didn't see it on my viewing. He went deep into defence a number of times and impacted, gave repeat repeat efforts in the front half.
Time for a lie down.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Two Rioli's a Picket, Shedda n Shai n maybe even "wishfullin " a Stacka. Up in the Territory for another Dreamtime game. Bloody magical.
There was something very special about playing up in Darwin for Dreamtime, but I'd hate to lose our biggest marquee game at the G. We wouldn't be able to recoup the loss of revenue playing in Darwin

Reactions: 4 users

YinnarTiger

Tiger Legend
May 2, 2007
Gippsland
There was something very special about playing up in Darwin for Dreamtime, but I'd hate to lose our biggest marquee game at the G. We wouldn't be able to recoup the loss of revenue playing in Darwin
Essendon home game this year. Many of us might not make it if there is still the 50 000 ceiling.

Rancey18

Tiger Champion
Mar 15, 2014
Despite not seeing any footage of him on the weekend, just reading this thread alone has me excited for his future prospects!

blx

Tiger Champion
Feb 11, 2004
Melbourne
Game adjustment and fitness seem to be the only things missing to his game.

The ox is slow like the earth... something like that

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Never saw Maurice Senior play but Junior moves like Cyril Rioli in every way. Can’t think of a higher compliment than that.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
you sure ?, 19 was ours 20 was theirs, so this year should be back to us surely

edit, just looked, certainly listed as theirs, dont know how or why
Round 1 last year against Blues was ours and it is again this year. No crowd/blockbuster reward for anyone last year so appears as though they are keeping those games pretty much the same

taztiger4

Shovelheads- Keeping hipsters off Harley's
Jul 13, 2005
Richmond Victoria
Round 1 last year against Blues was ours and it is again this year. No crowd/blockbuster reward for anyone last year so appears as though they are keeping those games pretty much the same
I can understand ours as there is gate sharing & we had no crowd, the bummers had a crowd in Darwin

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
It’s a damn fine replay. I was a little sceptical, even after all the plaudits for his performance here on Pre. Some very hard hits, great chase downs and fine crumbing/roving work. This little chunk is going to be a joy.

Reactions: 2 users

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
It’s a damn fine replay. I was a little sceptical, even after all the plaudits for his performance here on Pre. Some very hard hits, great chase downs and fine crumbing/roving work. This little chunk is going to be a joy.

Im a tiger obsessive, but watching the 2nds practice replay is a bridge too far for me at present.

Can you and others outline other exciting contributers?

Mansell? Sampson?

fastin bulbous

Tiger Champion
Mar 30, 2010
Darwin
Im a tiger obsessive, but watching the 2nds practice replay is a bridge too far for me at present.

Can you and others outline other exciting contributers?

Mansell? Sampson?
I’ll give it a whirl. I’m sure I’ll miss some things out...

Dow - really showed great composure, vision and excellent decision making mixed with hunger for the ball which made him my stand out. really lovely disposal to the advantage of team mates. The dominant clearance mid fielder on the ground and great link player.

Greene- was surprised by his presence on the field. Firstly, he competed well at stoppages and then provided a great marking/spoiling option with his hight. Good skills and my pick for the last spot.

Mansell - fairly quiet which was a bit disappointing for me as I really want him to succeed. Great skilz

Naish- started like a rocket but faded out. Great kicking and talented but not sure he is suited to our game plan. It would not surprise me if he is traded end of year

egg - was everywhere on the half back line. I’ve made an assumption that he is gone and already grieved his loss so a bit hard to open myself to the pain of double delisting. Great skills, read the play well and as I said - was everywhere.

Miller - solid, played his role and played it well. Kept confusing him with Greene so not much to report

biggy- agile, fearless, good reader of the play, neat skills, can’t wait for him to get biggyer

Sampson- needs time, size, fitness

Rioli- wrecking ball with a friendly smile. He eased his way into it and performed better as the game went on. Silky, tough, fast, a bit of nasty. A couple of great goals, one where he dislodged the ball from an opponent with a hit, gathered and snapped. Another a close miss from an electric ⚡️ front and centre at pace on the boundary. A couple of nice disposals that picked out a target with magic vision. Really exciting. Seemed to enjoy the hurt and making the other team think twice before holding it too long. I like.

Ccj- was impressive and probably ready to take another step. My pick for 2nd ruck.

Marlion - cruises around doing what he does at will

Garth- hardly seen

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
I’ll give it a whirl. I’m sure I’ll miss some things out...

Dow - really showed great composure, vision and excellent decision making mixed with hunger for the ball which made him my stand out. really lovely disposal to the advantage of team mates. The dominant clearance mid fielder on the ground and great link player.

Greene- was surprised by his presence on the field. Firstly, he competed well at stoppages and then provided a great marking/spoiling option with his hight. Good skills and my pick for the last spot.

Mansell - fairly quiet which was a bit disappointing for me as I really want him to succeed. Great skilz

Naish- started like a rocket but faded out. Great kicking and talented but not sure he is suited to our game plan. It would not surprise me if he is traded end of year

egg - was everywhere on the half back line. I’ve made an assumption that he is gone and already grieved his loss so a bit hard to open myself to the pain of double delisting. Great skills, read the play well and as I said - was everywhere.

Miller - solid, played his role and played it well. Kept confusing him with Greene so not much to report

biggy- agile, fearless, good reader of the play, neat skills, can’t wait for him to get biggyer

Sampson- needs time, size, fitness

Rioli- wrecking ball with a friendly smile. He eased his way into it and performed better as the game went on. Silky, tough, fast, a bit of nasty. A couple of great goals, one where he dislodged the ball from an opponent with a hit, gathered and snapped. Another a close miss from an electric ⚡️ front and centre at pace on the boundary. A couple of nice disposals that picked out a target with magic vision. Really exciting. Seemed to enjoy the hurt and making the other team think twice before holding it too long. I like.

Ccj- was impressive and probably ready to take another step. My pick for 2nd ruck.

Marlion - cruises around doing what he does at will

Garth- hardly seen

Great summary, agree with all you have said with Dow, the one thing I am keeping a bit of an eye on his his disposal by foot. At training when they are only doing drills, (so under no pressure), with the mids delivering to leads in the forward line he is the player who misses his target the most.

On Egg, he has constantly been the best at game sim drills of those trialing for a spot at training and was the stand out in the B game.
I too thought Egg's time was up but now I am thinking maybe not?

On Samson, he wowed in the Intra but did nothing in the B hitout.
I have seen enough at training though to be pretty confident about his future.

Reactions: 6 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Great summary, agree with all you have said with Dow, the one thing I am keeping a bit of an eye on his his disposal by foot. At training when they are only doing drills, (so under no pressure), with the mids delivering to leads in the forward line he is the player who misses his target the most.

On Egg, he has constantly been the best at game sim drills of those trialing for a spot at training and was the stand out in the B game.
I too thought Egg's time was up but now I am thinking maybe not?

On Samson, he wowed in the Intra but did nothing in the B hitout.
I have seen enough at training though to be pretty confident about his future.
I'm sure Dow can work on his foot skills because his kicking technique looks pretty neat. Besides, Sheds missed a few targets in his formative years. ;)

Just did on my own post on the Praccygame thread re Egg. My worry now is that we can only take 1 more due to the Mansell choice, but I'd like to grab both Green and Egg. I believe that Egg will become a quality player elsewhere if we wave goodbye for good.

Not saying Samson doesn't have potential, even thought he had a couple of good moments the B game. Trouble is that, to me, compared to the Dees bevy of young talls, he looked like Twiggy. A project player for sure ... and you know what that means.

Reactions: 2 users