Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

It’s a damn fine replay. I was a little sceptical, even after all the plaudits for his performance here on Pre. Some very hard hits, great chase downs and fine crumbing/roving work. This little chunk is going to be a joy.
Nothing like being able to see n enjoy for yourself, fastin.

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure if they're related but Willie Rioli is free to train with WC and his suspension ends in August.

Maurice Rioli jnr, who will be subject to much intrigue in his first year, has also impressed Lonergan throughout the pre-season.

“His game last week [in the reserves] was fantastic,” Lonergan said.

“He was bash and crash, his appetite for the contest was exceptional for a young man and it’s exciting. It’s exciting to see a young player in our footy club with that amount of hunger and aggressive approach to the contest.”

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
I wouldn’t say I’ve been a critic, however after seeing his junior stuff wasn’t excited as many, however today was another day I liked what I saw, key thing closing speed, I’m not convinced hell make the grade , however I think he’ll play senior footy, how good he is , only time will tell.

forgot to say yesterday, MJ should have had 3 in the first half , missed a regulation around the corner snap from fairly much straight in front, probably never missed one like that before , kicked truly at the other end in the same situation , same quarter did a brilliant steal , read the handball beautifully, clean hands and excelerated away, only to lose the ball when he took a bounce and it went over he’s head , he was about to waltz into an open goal . Also had a couple of moments were both caesar and I said where the hell did he come from

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 2 users
Serious question - how far off is he from a debut? From having an influx of small forwards this now has become one of our weaknesses.

Serious question - how far off is he from a debut? From having an influx of small forwards this now has become one of our weaknesses.
I’m keen to know this too.

I get Aarts isn’t great, but putting Rioli back in at the moment like the old “OUT: Tivendale IN: Hyde” selection answer

• Haha
The Club believe he has the capability to debut in the first half of the season. He might not but he's ticking lots of boxes. Played a bit of mid last week and still could have kicked 3 goals. Give him 2, 3 pre-seasons and VFL and a little AFL game time, we could have a very good player on our hands

Reactions: 3 users
The Club believe he has the capability to debut in the first half of the season. He might not but he's ticking lots of boxes. Played a bit of mid last week and still could have kicked 3 goals. Give him 2, 3 pre-seasons and VFL and a little AFL game time, we could have a very good player on our hands
Dreamtime Debut looks like the night the club will call bring him in.

• Love
We could use a pure small fwd with natural goal sense. Hope we see him soon.

I'd be astonished if a Rioli, any Rioli,

didnt beat Aarts tackle count by a significant margin last night

• Haha
A mate was at the VFL game yesterday, he’s 3 best we’re Rioli, Rioli and Melville, take that with a grain of salt as he is a tad bias :)) , he said MJ kicked a goal

• Love
Why is it that we have to develop players for years at VFL level before we unleash them?
Theres many first year players getting a go at AFL level in other teams
We are desperate for small crumbing forward that also tackles providing defensive pressure The answer isn’t Aarts who fails to provide any pressure
MRJ should get a run in the first half of the year and not just sit out the year in the VFL

Reactions: 3 users
Why is it that we have to develop players for years at VFL level before we unleash them?
We are desperate for small crumbing forward that also tackles providing defensive pressure The answer isn’t Aarts who fails to provide any pressure
MRJ should get a run in the first half of the year and not just sit out the year in the VFL
Because this team is the best team in the league and doesn't need to destroy players careers like we did in the past, if they're good enough they'll make it in this team, they brought through Baker, Short recovered after getting dropped, Broad, Lambert came from nowhere. If you're good enough you'll keep your spot and hopefully for us have a great career. Imagine if a Tambling had a chance to learn the 'Richmond way', he was not physically ready to play immediately but had to play at the time. Dogs are holding back Jamara Ugle-Hagan, if you can let them develop then they're probably better off in the longer run.

In the old days the Hawks made Tuck play about 50-60 Reserves games, dude would have played 500 if they let him lol. Dipper played around 70-80 as well. :)

I don't think the tackling is as bad as people are making out, inside 50 tackling was 10-10 last night and they had 12 more inside 50's so to match their 10 tackles, we did well to lock it down as much as we could.

I personally think our game plan lacks a tall or even Caddy up forward, now with this newer open game plan I think you need more marking players forward off the ball. We are a long kicking team and seemed last week and last night we were kicking to nobody between the wing and the half-forward line, I think we were one taller or marking type player short there and they just rebounded it straight back. Nank seems to have big marking days out versus Port, but he definitely needs some help.

You can't have both Riewoldt and Lynch moving up to the half forward flanks and wings, you'll have no tall up forward, at least if they come down the ground, a Caddy/CCJ (Nank when CCJ rucks) could be sitting back there, they're all pretty good one on one. WCE play with Kennedy, Darling, Allen up forward, so hopefully we can play CCJ there next week or the one after as they have gone cold on Caddy up forward.

Sorry for the speal, first timer today, probably a bit excited lol :))

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Some players need development time to either learn the game structures, or get their bodies to the right capabilities for AFL footy.
Don't recall the likes of Bolton, Balta, Higlet, Sausage, Rossy, Naish, Baker, Dow, Mansell, Not Dusty, etc spending to much time running around at Maggos level before they started getting a sniff at senior level.

A mate was at the VFL game yesterday, he’s 3 best we’re Rioli, Rioli and Melville, take that with a grain of salt as he is a tad bias :)) , he said MJ kicked a goal
This Melville interests me, every week he is in the best, seems to get the ball quite a bit and uses it well, the highlights from previous weeks some beautiful passes and goal assists to our forwards, I think he kicked the long goal from 50 on the three-quarter time siren last week, can we 'list' him and drop an 'Eggs', does anyone know? :)

I think the knock on rioli was his conditioning and fitness so if he doesn't play seniors for a while (first half of the year) then that is probably one reason.

Reactions: 1 user