Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
Hang on. I've lost track.

Are we talking about your lamington impressions, Hugo, MRJ or your wife keeping track of your bedroom performance on one of Chris Fagan's famous spreadsheets?

You've got to be in the game to be on the spreadsheet ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
From watching MRJ in juniors, (although last year was a gap year), I thought his fitness was way below the level. The 1st practice match this year I pretty much thought the same.
Since then with each outing, being it on the training track or practice matches he is getting better and better so I give him some chance later in the year but more likely next.
It is all well and good to give some burst efforts in VFL to get people excited but will still, understandably, need the fitness to provide sustained intensity over 4 quarters.
His closing speed is also a bit quicker than I thought.

**There is a caveat, a well known Pre-ender has jumped on board as his player sponsor which could fast track his development ;)

@TrialByVideo After watching the VFL against Sandy today I wish to retract my statement :) and say Junior is not far away at all. Can't quite believe the amount of around the ground and midfield action he is getting and able to cope with.
Excellent signs and plenty of magic on show today.

Reactions: 18 users

MorrisMinor

Tiger Rookie
Mar 24, 2014
Yes - I was there today and was really impressed with his game. I didn’t realise how quick he is over the ground - and great skills too... perfect for our high pressure forward style. Would like to see him in the ones ASAP...

Reactions: 6 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
@TrialByVideo After watching the VFL against Sandy today I wish to retract my statement :) and say Junior is not far away at all. Can't quite believe the amount of around the ground and midfield action he is getting and able to cope with.

Well done Julius. Watching the match on youtube today and was thinking that you'd be posting a retraction soon afterwards. MoJu is looking the goods. Whitegoods. If it wasn't for Jack G we'd be calling MoJu "Fridge"

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

eddazol

Tiger Superstar
Sep 22, 2014
Showed plenty of pace. Wasn’t going to be pushed around. Stood up for himself. Exciting times.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Thanks @caesar..... actually the reason I asked my initial question was because the only day I ever saw him live at training..... he just did 'stuff' that looked like he might be closer than many think.
Personally, I hope they don't bring him in with all the hoopla of a dreamtime game as the focus would be over the top.

Btw... A Carlton mate of mine reminded me the other day that I once snipped him for 20 for RFC raffle tickets and the promotion was to Buy Another Rioli
1984 I think it was.... All good things come to those who wait! :)

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Personally, I hope they don't bring him in with all the hoopla of a dreamtime game as the focus would be over the top.
Agree. Keep him developing in the VFL and debut him in the Grand Final

• Haha

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
On today’s viewing I don’t think he is far way at all. He was going as hard and fast in the last qtr as he was in the first. Spent a lot of time up the ground too. His skills look good, tackles hard and finishing around goals elite.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The goal in the 3rd quarter was so magic it turned a bunch of middle-aged men into giggling schoolgirls.

• Haha
Reactions: 12 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
He barely broke stride at full tilt today when he picked it up off the PRO turf before snapping that goal.

Amazed at the amount of time he spent in the middle.

His Dad was a pretty good midfielder just saying..

Jan 12, 2012
Melbourne
Btw... A Carlton mate of mine reminded me the other day that I once snipped him for 20 for RFC raffle tickets and the promotion was to Buy Another Rioli
1984 I think it was.... All good things come to those who wait! :)
I remember that. There was a printed leaflet with a grainy picture of Maurice on the front.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The biggest transformation for me is his pace, he’s bloody quick, no doubt he’ll play this year

BillyJean17

Tiger Champion
Jul 27, 2009
melbourne
Reckon it’s fair to say he’s miles ahead of where we thought he’d be at this stage. That’s a fair debut in vfl , best std he’s played to date. Must be flourishing being in a professional environment, huge upside however like wb with jamar I think we will deliberately delay his debut

Reactions: 1 users