Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
If only we had two of him, one could work on his attacking game in the twos while the other did the pressuring in the ones.

But then, we could do with two of him in the ones.

I've got it. We need four of him.

Reactions: 2 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Maurice has to be better with the ball. Its a tricky one because his pressure is elite, and we need it, but man cannot live by pressure alone. Not sure who comes in but looks like he needs a stint in the seconds.
i don't know whether it was a Rioli or some other footy scribe who said it but it it is a fact that MJ is not as skilled as other Rioli's his one wood is pressure but still not sure what we are going to get outside of that, the missed kick to Reiwoldt is an example of that.

Reactions: 1 users

The Mole

Tiger Champion
Apr 1, 2003
Must be dropped.
Disposal and decision making not AFL standard
The kid is 20 and has played 20 games. You guys are harsh. Just on a year ago no one expected him to play regularly. He is way ahead of the curve. Has to stay in and keep playing. He is learning real fast.

Reactions: 12 users

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Are people actually serious about dropping him? Surely not. Our only small forward who applies pressure and causes turnover. Yes he can get better with ball in hand but let’s stop the silly calls of him getting dropped.

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
i don't know whether it was a Rioli or some other footy scribe who said it but it it is a fact that MJ is not as skilled as other Rioli's his one wood is pressure but still not sure what we are going to get outside of that, the missed kick to Reiwoldt is an example of that.
Chicken without a head vibe from him when he has the ball. Also looks incredibly slow when he has it and always seems to get run down or tackled.

I love his work off the ball though and it's something we have so little of.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
In the middle of a game
In the middle of a game I call your name
Oh Moju
Ohhhh Moju you really stress my brain

Brilliant at the run down tackle pressure, but what else??????
Constantly double n triple fumbles the ball when trying to receive.
Constantly over possesses the ball, jinking, twisting, propping in several directions at once hoping to create something then getting caught.
Ball use and option selection often poor to middling.

Not sure Moju's the smartest or most spacially aware footballer playing the game, seems to be always trying to play the game at full throttle down Con Rod straight without realising that there's twists n bends that also need to be finessed with a dab at the brakes n feathering of the throttle at various times to get a meaningful lap.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
I'm with Oldie. Kicking issues fatigue-related. Needs hustle help. Just a kid who makes the oppo look stupid a few times a week and makes a few blues.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Imho he needs to learn( not rewire) the attacking side of been a small forward , has to start hitting packs front and square , need more scoreboard pressure from MJ not just tackling pressure , Eddie Betts would have kicked 7 if he played for us last night .

Coburgtiger

Tiger Legend
May 7, 2012
I'm with Oldie. Kicking issues fatigue-related. Needs hustle help. Just a kid who makes the oppo look stupid a few times a week and makes a few blues.
Agree.

His instincts and vision with the ball are A grade. One of the few who is seeing the man to attack the 45 degree passes.

He is getting himself free in congestion routinely, though is often taking one step too far, or rather, still building the strength to take the extra step.

He is missing targets, but he is looking for ambitious options. A little like Shed in his early days.

And yeah, his high intensity running is probably adding some fatigue to a guy who hasn't played a full season of games yet.

Unless his body needs a break, keep playing him. He is not far away from brilliant.

Reactions: 9 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
What no one is talking about: Quiet Maurice

Is Maurice Rioli doing enough at the moment?

The small forward was goalless for the second straight week against the Pies and has laid just four tackles in his last two games.

Applying defensive pressure is Rioli’s go, but he has not laid a tackle inside forward 50 since Round 1.

He needs to get back to chasing and tackling in order to have a more substantial showing against the Dogs in Round 4.

Source: SEN.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Yeah he's off his tucker for sure.

Pressure been OK, but not winning enough ball, not using it well enough when he does, and not kicking enough goals.

Great talent and will be a player, but must be close to a spell in the two's you'd think.

mad_tiggy911

Tiger Legend
Mar 30, 2009
What pisses me off there’s no front and centre crummers when we bomb it long. Our positioning especially when entering 50 is all over the place. It then gets run out too easily.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Yeah he's off his tucker for sure.

Pressure been OK, but not winning enough ball, not using it well enough when he does, and not kicking enough goals.

Great talent and will be a player, but must be close to a spell in the two's you'd think.
Who in the two’s replaces him?

What I would give for the return of Butler and Castagna.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Who in the two’s replaces him?

What I would give for the return of Butler and Castagna.

Yeah our biggest strength is now a clear weakness.

Smart, nippy, strong, skilled small forwards are just about the biggest thing on our shopping list come end of season.