Maurice Rioli Jnr | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Maurice Rioli Jnr

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
To me it's as simple as he doesn't play today and we lose. Wouldn't worry me if he took a banana lounge and a cocktail out and had a lie down while we have the ball, if he applied that pressure when we don't.

I just hope Riewoldt's selfish act that got him crunched didn't cause any lasting issues.
Fly noted in his presser with some satisfaction that Richmond eventually brought its pressure game on the night. He was clearly of a mind that Collingwood withstood that but we’ll see. MRJ is still much of our pressure game.

Reactions: 1 user

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Still doesn’t do enough outside of pressure acts. Doesn’t get enough of the ball, can’t mark well or kick well enough. To me, he’s being gifted selection. At the moment, I can’t see him being good enough to make us a better side.

Reactions: 2 users

Dyer'ere

Licensed to kazoo
Sep 21, 2004
Four weeks in the Magoos. Sorry, five. MRJ doesn't turn up the first week after he's dropped.

BT Tiger

Staff member
Jun 5, 2005
Warragul
I'm not convinced he's going to make it yet. Is quick without the ball but seems to labour when he has it.

i did notice him position himself at the front of a couple of contests like a proper small forward should which was a positive. But I'm concerned he doesn't have enough tricks or skills to be a 100+ gamer. Hoping I'm wrong.

Reactions: 4 users

bengal tigers

Tiger Superstar
Apr 29, 2015
I'm not convinced he's going to make it yet. Is quick without the ball but seems to labour when he has it.

i did notice him position himself at the front of a couple of contests like a proper small forward should which was a positive. But I'm concerned he doesn't have enough tricks or skills to be a 100+ gamer. Hoping I'm wrong.
Agree.
I would like to see him go back to the VFL and see if he can become a midfielder .
To me he looks lost at times as a forward .

Reactions: 2 users

Stig

Tiger Superstar
Mar 2, 2020
Jury is out at elite level . If his name wasn’t Rioli would he have got drafted ?
Kicking is flawed . Goes to ground too often for my liking . Didn’t earn his spot on previous weeks effort in the VFL . Don’t know what you do with him . Couldn’t possibly play next week . Any chance of getting Castagna to front up next week

Tigers2011

What did I miss dad?
May 6, 2007
Mt Waverley, Victoria
Jury is out at elite level . If his name wasn’t Rioli would he have got drafted ?
Kicking is flawed . Goes to ground too often for my liking . Didn’t earn his spot on previous weeks effort in the VFL . Don’t know what you do with him . Couldn’t possibly play next week . Any chance of getting Castagna to front up next week
Agree with the exception of Castagna (lol). We have enough blokes who can’t kick.

Totally right re VFL form - barely touched it last week. Ross has deficiencies too, but at least earnt the sub role & would have offered more.

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
my concern with him is that he fumbles too much - not sure if he can fix that

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Those basic skills continue to worry me , thought he was coming on well , I’m not so sure atm , your always going to be a good tackler when you don’t have the ball

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Shortage of players meant that he didn't get the 3 or 4 game stint in the magoos he needed, just to be able to play some footy without the heat n scrutiny.

We all know Moju's got a *smile* load of pace n works his arse off to chase n harass. Problem is that it's only one of the basics of footy. He needs to be able get hold of some clean footy ( no fumbling n snatching ) and some opportunities to ping at goal without trying to work in our forward traffic jam all the time.

Daniel started his career as a shinier more polished version of Moju yet after a few years his output as a small forward was diminished to such an extent that we turned him into a premium running defender. At the moment I can see Moju easily getting career buried under our slow bang it in long to a contest system that sees the small forwards constantly trying to create in a traffic jam.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
Small forward not an easy role as it is let alone coming on for just over a qtr of football & trying to impact the game.

Needs to go back to the vfl & get amongst the goals, only problem is we really have no one to replace him with.