Mav Weller | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mav Weller

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
JB11 said:
when it was kicked long into the open forward line,all weller had to do was keep running hard and mark it,

as soon as he pulled up and let the ball hit the ground i thought , he needs to go

Said the same thing. That was the exact reason he wasn't getting games at the Aints.

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
Why Weller and not Arts?

He doesn’t have the aerial presence like Caddy. No where near it.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Smoking Aces said:
Why Weller and not Arts?

He doesn’t have the aerial presence like Caddy. No where near it.

I'd even consider leaving Markov in instead of Weller. We drafted him as a half forward and then turned him into a half back / winger. He looked a lot better forward than he did back.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
mrposhman said:
Give it a rest. Why do you seem to enjoy when we are going through some struggles? I reckon you've posted more since Thursday than you ever did last year.

There is nothing wrong with going along the way we had. Our midfield is still ranked highly and 2 mids for $500k each are not players like Coniglio etc. It would be say Coniglio and Lloyd rather than Lynch not 2 top liners.

I'm ok with the strategy but we did not perform on Thursday at all.

By the way, are you saying we shouldn't sign Cotchin, Martin, Rance etc let them go and bring a few extra average players in? If so, you are completely nuts.

We are sh!t at developing. Have been and still are. Where’s the kids coming through. Especially ones that are picks out of the top 20.
We should’ve won the flag last year. But Hardwick had the blinkers on.
Give it rest

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
zippadeee said:
We are sh!t at developing. Have been and still are. Where’s the kids coming through. Especially ones that are picks out of the top 20.
We should’ve won the flag last year. But Hardwick had the blinkers on.
Give it rest

Whatever. We won the minor premiership last year, we've brought through Higgins and Graham through the last 2 years and both are Best 22 for us currently and did that during a premiership year and a minor premiership year. When you have a strong squad and few injuries, you don't tend to bring players through into the AFL and therefore develop them in the VFL. How about you see how those boys do when they are brought in, players like Garthwaite (drafted in the 70's), Bolton (Pick 29), Baker (rookie pick), Balta (Pick 25), Naish (Pick in the 40's), Ross is fresh off the draft but could also debut this year (sooner rather than later I hope). They've played a grand total of 13 games between them. Are you therefore writing them off before they really get a crack at it?

Reckon we've probably developed Markov at the wrong end, not sure he's a defender. We have talent in our 2's, hence the performances of our VFL team over the last 2 years.

The way you talk sounds like we have been bottom dwellers for the last couple of years. Bear in mind that since the end of 2012, we have played finals footy in all but 1 season, and won a premiership and a minor premiership in that time.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
mrposhman said:
Whatever. We won the minor premiership last year, we've brought through Higgins and Graham through the last 2 years and both are Best 22 for us currently and did that during a premiership year and a minor premiership year. When you have a strong squad and few injuries, you don't tend to bring players through into the AFL and therefore develop them in the VFL. How about you see how those boys do when they are brought in, players like Garthwaite (drafted in the 70's), Bolton (Pick 29), Baker (rookie pick), Balta (Pick 25), Naish (Pick in the 40's), Ross is fresh off the draft but could also debut this year (sooner rather than later I hope). They've played a grand total of 13 games between them. Are you therefore writing them off before they really get a crack at it?

Reckon we've probably developed Markov at the wrong end, not sure he's a defender. We have talent in our 2's, hence the performances of our VFL team over the last 2 years.

The way you talk sounds like we have been bottom dwellers for the last couple of years. Bear in mind that since the end of 2012, we have played finals footy in all but 1 season, and won a premiership and a minor premiership in that time.

Not good enough. I set standards higher then you do.
Bolton will be delisted at years end
Baker is smaller then nahas
Balta is a Terry keays part 2
Naish, more chance his old man makes a come back
Markov. What a forward, under 16 set shots. Missed both (to the same side)
The only one is Carthwaite but he moves around like Astbury

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
I’m better then Weller.
That play when was running free to get the high ball and he waited for it to bounce should be the reason why he shouldn’t ever wear our glorious jumper ever again.
Disgraceful bit of play

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
zippadeee said:
Not good enough. I set standards higher then you do.
Bolton will be delisted at years end
Baker is smaller then nahas
Balta is a Terry keays part 2
Naish, more chance his old man makes a come back
Markov. What a forward, under 16 set shots. Missed both (to the same side)
The only one is Carthwaite but he moves around like Astbury

Why bother watching footy then if there is no chance for our young kids. You want to bring in the kids then write them off before they've even been given a chance.

Geez some of the crap you post is ridiculous.

ahyeahnah

Tiger Superstar
Aug 14, 2016
zippadeee said:
Weller is the direct result of having Martin prestia rance cotchin lynch and menadue on mega bucks.
In hindsight were we 2 quality midfielders worth more to us then Lynch.
Was the forward line the real issue?
Menadue? :rofl :rofl :rofl

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
mrposhman said:
Why bother watching footy then if there is no chance for our young kids. You want to bring in the kids then write them off before they've even been given a chance.

Geez some of the crap you post is ridiculous.
Mr P, I value your opinion. You’re someone whose posts I always read with interest. At the risk of derailing the thread into a slanging match, you’re trying to have a discussion based on logic with someone to whom it is a foreign concept. There are a small core of posters here who weirdly enough seem to prefer it when we lose.
On Weller, he played 120 games before we picked him up. There’s no actual developing a guy like that. He wouldn’t have played Rd 1 except for injuries. He played well enough against poor opposition to get a 2nd game and he was badly exposed in that game. He’ll go ok against the Carlton’s of the comp, but be found wanting against better teams. He’s a recruiting mistake and will probably be playing suburban or country football in 2020.

kiwitiger

Go the AllBlacks, the Storm , and the Tigers.
Jul 28, 2004
I think if the coaches had their way Weller wouldn’t be needed , I’m assuming only brought in as cover ,

As it turned out no caddy and Castagna round 1 , they gave him a go.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Funny moment
Last night Bradshaw was reading out our ‘good’ players missing through injury and he mentioned Weller.
I forgot all about him.. did we delist him?
We gave him a spot on the list while their is a another ‘stack’ missing out

Bullarto Tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 17, 2012
Most likely won't play another game unless the Tigers are struck by a number of further injuries.
Certainly doesn't bring anything to the team like what the recent additions have done.
Deep back-up at best.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Tigers of Old said:
Does seem a wasted spot on the list.

Why did we need him in the first place? We have Baker Naish Bulter and Collier Dawk
I said it from the start. The minute Roughhead was given the ass from Footscray we should’ve picked him up.
Part time ruck, can go forward and a very goos one on one defender.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
zippadeee said:
Why did we need him in the first place? We have Baker Naish Bulter and Collier Dawk
I said it from the start. The minute Roughhead was given the ass from Footscray we should’ve picked him up.
Part time ruck, can go forward and a very goos one on one defender.

Maybe we enquired and he didn't want to come to the Tigers?

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
We wouldn't have enquired. No cash.

We couldn't afford anyone unless on base wage - Roughead certainly isn't on that.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Leysy Days said:
We wouldn't have enquired. No cash.

We couldn't afford anyone unless on base wage - Roughead certainly isn't on that.

There you go zips, no need to concern yourself, we couldn't have recruited Roughhead even if we wanted to