Mav Weller | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mav Weller

Tiger44

Tiger Superstar
Sep 23, 2005
craig said:
Why trade out Sammy Lloyd to replace him with Weller.

You could say the same about Kane Lambert - couldn't get a game at Carlton - when they were ordinary (aren't they always ordinary!).

Will leave it to those that know - perhaps some inside info from the assistant coach we got across from St K?

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
craig said:

Because it’s completely different - Weller comes as a rookie. Lloyd, Miles and Ellis have all left for contracts on senior lists. I don’t think any of them would’ve taken a rookie spot over that opportunity just to stay with us. If we hadve traded in Weller onto the Senior list - then yes it would be pointless. He at least brings some experience midfield depth regardless how limited he might be.

TigerPort

Tiger Champion
Jun 29, 2006
NSW
craig said:

Contract $ and staying under the salary cap. Lloyd and Miles go out on bigger contracts and Weller would come in on rookie wages.

Still got depth just cheaper.

French Tiger

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2004
tha8ball said:
Because it’s completely different - Weller comes as a rookie. Lloyd, Miles and Ellis have all left for contracts on senior lists. I don’t think any of them would’ve taken a rookie spot over that opportunity just to stay with us. If we hadve traded in Weller onto the Senior list - then yes it would be pointless.

Spot on

lamb22

Tiger Legend
Jan 29, 2005
I dont mind it. Weller always intrigued me. In some games and part of games he just imposed himself. Runs straight lines, long kick, hard at it. He might not follow team rules and game plans is why he keeps going in and out of sides.

Worst case scenario. He provides a mature mid at VFL level and that's important because with Miles, Lloyd , Ellis and Conca leaving our VFL midfield takes a big hit and it is important to be competitive at VFL level to implement the AFL gameplan (successfully)

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Haven’t seen a stack of him, however have seen him do some good stuff and his pretty hard at man and ball from what I have seen, other then a fit Conca I’d prefer him on the list too any others we have got rid of, doesn’t have any glaring AFL weaknesses like the others. On a rookie wage and where we are at I’m not unhappy if he signs.

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
Couldn't get a regular game with the Aints. OK..

He's always looked really fit, so perhaps he's coming to help with training standards ???....

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
Looks like a deal likely as a rookie: “Former Sun and Saint Weller will seek to reignite his career at Richmond after being delisted by St Kilda at the end of the 2018 season, while ex-Gold Coast ruckman Brooksby will get a second chance with reigning premier West Coast after impressing in the SANFL with South Adelaide.”

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-11-20/exroo-exploits-new-rookie-rule-to-join-the-demons

toothless

Tiger Champion
Aug 16, 2009
This new rookie rule will be open slather for rookie vacancies to be used for delisted free agents at the expense of upcoming young talent. I guess they’ll have to do their apprenticeship or be lost to the AFL system for the real world

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
craig said:
It’s not a choice. Lloyd, CEllis, Miles and Stengle asked to be traded for more opportunities as senior list players. Weller wants to come to Richmond as a rookie for a last chance.

It’s not like we had the choice between keeping Lloyd and getting Weller

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Tiger44 said:
You could say the same about Kane Lambert - couldn't get a game at Carlton - when they were ordinary (aren't they always ordinary!).

Will leave it to those that know - perhaps some inside info from the assistant coach we got across from St K?

Kane Lambert was never drafted by carlton. Closest they got to him was Northern Blues.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Sintiger said:
Not sure how he could be B&F for Casey when he was a St Kilda player? Sandringham ?

yeah yr right Sin. i misread something. i don't think he's won anything...

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Just waiting for him to come out and say his learnt from the past and is really, really going to try this time.