Mav Weller | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mav Weller

Tigers of Old said:
Delisted by Gold Coast AND the Aints. Looks ok from what little I've seen but I wonder what the knock is on him?

He isn’t any good plain & simple

Coming as a rookie......don't mind it. Not popping champagne corks, but it's ok. We need some depth. Certainly an upgrade on Ellis.

Tigers of Old said:
Delisted by Gold Coast AND the Aints. Looks ok from what little I've seen but I wonder what the knock is on him?

im not excited by the thought of getting Weller, but sometimes crap team drop and delist guys who can play because they need to be seen to be doing something. playing 26yos and getting beat looks bad. playing 20yos and getting beat at least gives you the excuse.
also average players playing in a bad team can look bad. average players playing in a good team can fill a valuable role.

Tigers of Old said:

A few things, but his kicking in particular is woeful.

If we take him, you can bet on him playing less than 5 games in total for us before he is moved on

He has problems with hamstrings and concussion. Similar type of player to Towner so not sure why we would pick him up.

zippadeee said:
You might be on to something Zip.

All the procrastination about Towner and now it looks like we are going to pick a lesser version who also comes with hamstring and concussion issues.

Seems strange to go for a tried and failed third time selection.

Any better than Lloydy?

ahyeahnah said:
You might be on to something Zip.

All the procrastination about Towner and now it looks like we are going to pick a lesser version who also comes with hamstring and concussion issues.
He is nothing like Towner. Weller’s nunber one asset is his pace, that’s towner’s Number one problem

jb03 said:
If we take him, you can bet on him playing less than 5 games in total for us before he is moved on
Yep, will probably last just the one season.

Midsy said:
Any better than Lloydy?

Probably not but we didn't want to let Lloyd go. He wanted to go for more opportunity and more security. Weller would presumably come on an initial 1 year deal on minimum wage

Jonesracing82 said:
He'll purely be for backup

Rather pick up a untried kid then this hack. We aren't any good with early picks, but lately we have been nailing late/rookie picks. I don't buy he keeps cheap. So does a kid at pick 98.
Why not stick to doing the same?
I'm against drafting players that have been delisted from other clubs. They don't get delisted because they are good.

zippadeee said:

Neither was dirty Sziller when dumped by the Aints, however, he proved to be a very handy tagger. Very similar players

Sintiger said:
He is nothing like Towner. Weller’s nunber one asset is his pace, that’s towner’s Number one problem

Not really a run & carry player though. His strength is pressure/tackling and being a solid body at the contest, while being capable overhead for his size.