Mav Weller | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mav Weller

zippadeee said:
Rather pick up a untried kid then this hack. We aren't any good with early picks, but lately we have been nailing late/rookie picks. I don't buy he keeps cheap. So does a kid at pick 98.
Why not stick to doing the same?
I'm against drafting players that have been delisted from other clubs. They don't get delisted because they are good.
If anything he stays for a yr incase any kids we get are not ready next yr & they need to push him out. At worst he's a tagger.

zippadeee said:
Rather pick up a untried kid then this hack. We aren't any good with early picks, but lately we have been nailing late/rookie picks. I don't buy he keeps cheap. So does a kid at pick 98.
Why not stick to doing the same?

Clearly we want some depth, that a pick 98th kid in the draft won't be able to provide. We've signed Weller as a rookie, so he's being paid the same as a kid.

It can only be about him being someone who is "ready to go" rather than a kid who is probably 2-3 years away from being a fringe player the level (doubtful we'd get a star at pick 98).

We've lost C Ellis, Miles, Lloyd, Conca and Stengle (Although highly doubtful he'd play any midfield minutes at AFL level). We're in Premiership mode. We need to make sure if we lose someone like Prestia, we don't go with a kid with a pencil build and 0 games experience. That's not to say Weller would ever replace Prestia, but he'd minimise the impact.

We flagged we'd take some senior players with late picks a couple of weeks ago - I don't think a senior bodied player is a surprise. Maybe the choice of player is, but I'd back Kingsley to have given us some info as to whether he's got anything left that can help us. Remember we used to have players leave us and go on to other clubs and be OK. Gold Coast and St Kilda haven't really shown anything in terms of player development. Who knows, maybe there's something left to get out of this kid.

The_General said:
Clearly we want some depth, that a pick 98th kid in the draft won't be able to provide. We've signed Weller as a rookie, so he's being paid the same as a kid.

It can only be about him being someone who is "ready to go" rather than a kid who is probably 2-3 years away from being a fringe player the level (doubtful we'd get a star at pick 98).

We've lost C Ellis, Miles, Lloyd, Conca and Stengle (Although highly doubtful he'd play any midfield minutes at AFL level). We're in Premiership mode. We need to make sure if we lose someone like Prestia, we don't go with a kid with a pencil build and 0 games experience. That's not to say Weller would ever replace Prestia, but he'd minimise the impact.

Well put. I know of Weller but to be honest have never really paid him much attention. But you are spot on with what you said. I'm happy for it in this scenario

Personally im not a fan but thinking Kingsley would have been the driving force behind Weller coming into consideration for Richmond

There are different reports on what type of list spot he would occupy at Richmond
*Main list - Do not want
*Rookie list - I can understand it

There is also reports he will be a Cat B listed Rookie , If that is the case and we still can have our full allotment of Rookies - Thats a great get as it doesnt occupy either list and is virtually a free hit

We needed a couple of Mav's type to step in if injuries hit. We don't really have any mature midfield depth outside the best 22. I reckon there will be at least one more mature mid to come. It would have been great to add an A or B grade mid in the trade period but we either couldn't afford one or didn't like the one's available.
Good luck Mav.

Welcome Top Gun.

I feel the need......

The need for Speed !

C'mon Mav do some of that fancy flying *smile*!

Sorry couldn't help it!

(my emojis don't work anyone else have this issue?)

Think Mav is more a fill in to help out our VFL team.

Being delisted by St Kilda says alot.

I’m sure most would disagree , however imho I think Weller is a better footballer then George and can play the same role as well if not better

Mr Brightside said:
I’m sure most would disagree , however imho I think Weller is a better footballer then George and can play the same role as well if not better

Yeah, nah...

George gets games with Richmond and Mav can't get games with St Kilda.

Mr Brightside said:

Can't have that. Weller's a known quantity; nobody knows what George is going to do.