Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

tired'lilah

Tiger Cub
Oct 23, 2023
I am actually very positive about both Balta and Lefau as forwards
I did forget about Lefau! I like the look of him so far but the west coast game is the only one where I've felt he looks like a proper key forward. It'll be interesting to see how he goes against a much stronger defence on Wednesday, unless it turns into a shai & dusty show you'd think we'll need 2 or 3 goals from him to put in a respectable performance

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
I did forget about Lefau! I like the look of him so far but the west coast game is the only one where I've felt he looks like a proper key forward. It'll be interesting to see how he goes against a much stronger defence on Wednesday, unless it turns into a shai & dusty show you'd think we'll need 2 or 3 goals from him to put in a respectable performance
If, and its a big if, Lynch comes back and gives us a strong 2025 then I'd expect further improvement from Balta. He is presently in our top 5 and has the speed and strength to continue to do well as a forward. Lefau also well behind because of his unusual development path, but imo is very similar to Balta.
Not sure where Gibcus fits. At this point either forward or back are equally uncertain possibilities.

We can tend to over emphasise on the importance of back or forward and craft. The most important part is can they play. Run, mark and kick is an over simplification but you understand what I mean. Fitness and strength issues aside Gibcus could wind up anywhere. Koschitzke not so much.

Reactions: 1 users

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
If, and its a big if, Lynch comes back and gives us a strong 2025 then I'd expect further improvement from Balta. He is presently in our top 5 and has the speed and strength to continue to do well as a forward. Lefau also well behind because of his unusual development path, but imo is very similar to Balta.
Not sure where Gibcus fits. At this point either forward or back are equally uncertain possibilities.

We can tend to over emphasise on the importance of back or forward and craft. The most important part is can they play. Run, mark and kick is an over simplification but you understand what I mean. Fitness and strength issues aside Gibcus could wind up anywhere. Koschitzke not so much.
To me the ideal situation was always to settle a back half with Balta and Gibcus as the key pillars but really a couple of things have happened to make that unlikely to happen.
Obviously the first is needs, we really need Balta forward for at least a couple of years given the gap in our list and the age and injury history of Lynch. The second is the emergence of the potential of Miller to be a lock down key back.
All being well having Gibcus and Miller as the key backs with Lynch, Balta and Lefau (as 3rd tall) forward is not a bad set up but we still need an emerging KPP at both ends to complement that from a list perspective.

Reactions: 2 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
To me the ideal situation was always to settle a back half with Balta and Gibcus as the key pillars but really a couple of things have happened to make that unlikely to happen.
Obviously the first is needs, we really need Balta forward for at least a couple of years given the gap in our list and the age and injury history of Lynch. The second is the emergence of the potential of Miller to be a lock down key back.
All being well having Gibcus and Miller as the key backs with Lynch, Balta and Lefau (as 3rd tall) forward is not a bad set up but we still need an emerging KPP at both ends to complement that from a list perspective.
Miller has done really well this year. The game against WC indicative. Young was beaten rather badly by a succession of opponents and it looked like they were really giving it to him, which was kind of understandable given the fact that none of them have been able to regularly get a kick for quite a while.
Anyway Miller kept stepping up for Young and giving as good as he got. It. was a minor display really but he seems to be adding physicality to his game which has been badly needed for quite a while.

Doing well with skills we always knew he had and with more strength on display than we have seen in the past.

wigglyworm

Tiger Matchwinner
Jan 22, 2008
Its a crying shame that the Tap hasnt been able to make it onto the park.

Would have been nice to see some signs

jokershoppe

Tiger Champion
Feb 17, 2008
Miller has done really well this year. The game against WC indicative. Young was beaten rather badly by a succession of opponents and it looked like they were really giving it to him, which was kind of understandable given the fact that none of them have been able to regularly get a kick for quite a while.
Anyway Miller kept stepping up for Young and giving as good as he got. It. was a minor display really but he seems to be adding physicality to his game which has been badly needed for quite a while.

Doing well with skills we always knew he had and with more strength on display than we have seen in the past.
Waterman did the same again against freo.

Reactions: 1 user

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
nah. The league is full of good defenders who cannot get a regular kick up forward- the Pies have 2 for a start- Moore and Howe. Ratagolea (if he is a good defender) & Alir at Port. McGovern at West Coast. The list is long. It is a lot easier to out mark an opponent who is trying to mark the ball than to be able to get in position to mark a ball when a defender is trying to punch it.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
any chance we get this thread back on topic?
So repeat after me its all Meehans fault we are in the mid season draft

• Haha

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
A few of us were fans of Patrick Weckert last year and were surprised he didn't find an AFL home. He's begun the SANFL season well at senior level for Woodville-West Torrens. Eight goals in three games, averaging 11 disposals and 5 marks. 194cm according to the SANFL website.

As a reminder, here's his 8 in the ressies last year:

Reactions: 1 users

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
A few of us were fans of Patrick Weckert last year and were surprised he didn't find an AFL home. He's begun the SANFL season well at senior level for Woodville-West Torrens. Eight goals in three games, averaging 11 disposals and 5 marks. 194cm according to the SANFL website.

As a reminder, here's his 8 in the ressies last year:

Sure can take a mark and knows where the goals are

Reactions: 1 user