Mid season Draft | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Mid season Draft

It is a big question, here's my uninformed thoughts:

Retiring: Prestia, Grimes, Naismith
Possibly Retiring: McIntosh
Likely to re-sign short term: Martin
Free Agency: Graham
Possibly Leaving: Baker
Delist: Dow, Colina
In the balance: Cumberland
Re-sign: Coulthart, Pickett

I would definitely re-sign Coulthard I reckon he has more potential than Cumberland who has been disappointing.

I would keep Pickett, for all his faults he puts in every week and people seem to notice his mistakes more than his good play. I reckon part of the issue with Pickett is the way the umps and the MRO hate him. Screw them!

If McIntosh wants to stay I would re-sign.

Dusty is an enigma, seems to be the way he likes it, I would re-sign him for 2 years if he wants it.

Colina has been a Cat B rookie for how long? Not happening, waste of the rookie spot.

I would want to keep Baker, but if he wants to go, we extract as much as we can.

DRioli should stay.

Dow I cannot see being a permanent centre in a competitive team, he doesn't have the size nor does he have the disposal skills or any other attributes to make up for his deficiencies, just not competitive in today's game with the beasts in the centre.

Prestia and Grimes both have failing bodies, I reckon they will retire.

I'm sure I have missed some.

Take 2 in the MSD as Yze said, anyone we take should not be for 2024, this year is gone, who cares if we don't have a ruck for a while. Look for players who can develop into AFL level players. Archie May and El Nour would do me.

DS
Is Ralphsmith in the final year of his contract? I’d resign him. Martin imo will almost certainly retire. May not even wait until the end of the season, but pull the pin after the 300. Lynch is another one who might decide that his body has had all it can take and call time at the end if this season.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll have a go, given the rumour mill have added Rioli and Martin to the the leaving bucket

Possibly Retiring: __
Likely to re-sign short term: Mcintosh, Pickett
Possibly Leaving: Baker, Rioli, Martin
Delist: Dow, Colina, Cumberland, Coulthart

That's a lot of free spots!

Reactions: 1 user
I'll have a go, given the rumour mill have added Rioli and Martin to the the leaving bucket

Not sure we would or we have the luxury of delisting someone who plays 20 games for the season. I would think it would be very unlikely. Noticed another poster also had Dow being delisted, but unlike u didn’t have Cumbo as being delisted. Strange.

We took 2 players in last season's mid season draft seemingly with success at this stage (Trezise & Coulthard). Not sure why we shouldn't explore the market as much as practicable given we have demonstrated to have done well picking bargain based talent both at afl and vfl levels.

Reactions: 2 users
It might be useful if people are able to disentangle their dislike of Dow with the reality that he probably won’t get delisted. We don’t have the depth to delist him this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
We took 2 players in last season's mid season draft seemingly with success at this stage (Trezise & Coulthard). Not sure why we shouldn't explore the market as much as practicable given we have demonstrated to have done well picking bargain based talent both at afl and vfl levels.
Injuries haven't helped them but in reality both are still fringing around the AFL side, so nothing spectacular so far but possibly still some future value, you could add Bauer in as well n he got an initial 18 month deal.

According to the meedjia, this year mid draft is fairly thin for talent. Picking players on a six month deal just because we've got a *smile* load of injuries means we'd expect our choices to be able to front up and perform at senior level off a restricted non AFL pre season, no involvement or knowledge of our game plan n structures, nor any knowledge of or involvement with our players. That's pretty much what you'd call a Hail Mary n pray shot.
Would much prefer if we took a look at a couple of highly promising youngsters who may just have missed out in their draft year and have then performed well at state level n put them on an 18 month contract to give them time to grow and develop within our system and structures. There's plenty out there that can step up given a proper opportunity to grow.

Reactions: 2 users
From memory, we have retired 2 premiership players each year, Cotch and Jack (23) - Edwards and Lambert (22), and Houli and Astbury (21) not counting George and Caddy and maybe a coupe of others I’ve missed so I expect that to continue this year - 2 or 3 max.

Moving 6 or more premiership players on in one year will leave us in lolnorf territory.

Reactions: 3 users
Injuries haven't helped them but in reality both are still fringing around the AFL side, so nothing spectacular so far but possibly still some future value, you could add Bauer in as well n he got an initial 18 month deal.

According to the meedjia, this year mid draft is fairly thin for talent. Picking players on a six month deal just because we've got a *smile* load of injuries means we'd expect our choices to be able to front up and perform at senior level off a restricted non AFL pre season, no involvement or knowledge of our game plan n structures, nor any knowledge of or involvement with our players. That's pretty much what you'd call a Hail Mary n pray shot.
Would much prefer if we took a look at a couple of highly promising youngsters who may just have missed out in their draft year and have then performed well at state level n put them on an 18 month contract to give them time to grow and develop within our system and structures. There's plenty out there that can step up given a proper opportunity to grow.
On exposed form admittedly at vfl level, Davidson & El-Nour look a level above, and May looks a likely prospect, IMO. I'm not sure so called "Journos" watch afl games, let alone vfl ones. This is from one side.

Doubt we re sign both macca and Pickett , one of maybe . Interesting how pres plays out ,,,,

I'm keen on Baker Smith from Port Melbourne.
Tassie kid, tall lump. Has played forward but is probable best suited as a key back.

Think we could draft him and one day have a starting half back line of
Baker Baker Smith Smith

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 12 users
I don't get the qualms about drafting too many players in the mid season draft.
Either they're good enough and we keep em.
Or they re not and we dont.

What are the reasons to not draft.
* We might not know after 4 months?
True but we can assess attributes such as competitiveness, professionalism, character, coachability, standards. Tiktok skills. All this can inform our list mgt decisions.

* football cohesion. Gotta learn a gameplan and team mates. Disrupts existing players and coaches.
True but disrupted much anyway?

* Coach resources are taken away from current players.
True but resources are spread across the entire list, including the half that is injured.
Maybe we got scope.

* might take games from the cubs.
True but the cubs already are getting games. Some will need a spell during the year.
And if the MSD draftees are better then give them games.

* salary cap exposure.
True but there is allowance for extra players. And some like Prestia and Lynch will not get the bonuses they mightve expected eg top 10 finish on the bnf. I don't think its black and white, i think there is leeway.

* waste of the soft cap
By giving opportunity and coaching to possible long term RFC players?
Its not a waste.

* not enough good players.
You sure? Best way to find out is to give them a chance.

* they might be better than our current list and we can't fit them in.
True. So if we draft anyone better than Dow and Cumberland and Coulthard and Green and Ross we dont have to get rid of them!

* its too short for draftees to join a club.
True but they all nominated and willingly want to pay afl.

* most MSD draftees are no good.
True, same for the main draft. Give it a Swing

*they might be good.
Sure.

Lets put Fawcett on the LTI and draft 5.
We might get 1 or 2.
Wouldnt that be grand!

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
Coulthard I think is pushing it to stay on our list. Struggling to get games with all the injuries and Green, Mansell and Cumberland are getting games before him , He’s no success story at this stage. Trezise I agree with you as he looks good.

Not sure we would or we have the luxury of delisting someone who plays 20 games for the season. I would think it would be very unlikely. Noticed another poster also had Dow being delisted, but unlike u didn’t have Cumbo as being delisted. Strange.
My bad, not sure why Dow was listed.

Was just a bit of a play, I have no idea as to who stays, who go's.

Interesting comments from Plapp.

“I feel Riley has a fair bit to offer. While his footy hasn’t been outstanding, it’s been at a level that deserves a bit of recognition and another opportunity. He’s a specific mid. He’s an inside mid who wins a lot of ball. He’s not for everyone, I feel. But there could be a gap there for that type of player from a list management point of view.’’

• Wow
Interesting comments from Plapp.

“I feel Riley has a fair bit to offer. While his footy hasn’t been outstanding, it’s been at a level that deserves a bit of recognition and another opportunity. He’s a specific mid. He’s an inside mid who wins a lot of ball. He’s not for everyone, I feel. But there could be a gap there for that type of player from a list management point of view.’’
Worst pump up of a player of all time. Mustn't be well liked. Plappy sounds like a good operator

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users